Has anyone experienced backup placed on desktop

I have tried to find a way to resolve this in my preferences, however I cannot locate an to cause backups to be placed desktop

Best Answer

Answers

• additional information ; I am using quicken 2017 for windows and search through preferences and cannot locate any reference to backups on desktop.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Quicken places automatic backups in a folder named BACKUP located in the folder that contains the Quicken file.  I suggest locating the Quicken file in a folder on an internal drive.  For example, the user's Documents\Quicken folder.
  • I may have unclear on my problem. I have a backup file in quicken and a backup copy of my is placed that file, however a link is placed on my desktop in addition to the quicken backup file. I am trying to change the preference so the desktop link is not added. thanks for your earlier answer
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    I may have unclear on my problem. I have a backup file in quicken and a backup copy of my is placed that file, however a link is placed on my desktop in addition to the quicken backup file. I am trying to change the preference so the desktop link is not added. thanks for your earlier answer
    I suggest you check the location you have set for your Desktop using File Explorer.  Perhaps Desktop has been set to the BACKUP folder or a library that includes the BACKUP folder.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I may have unclear on my problem. I have a backup file in quicken and a backup copy of my is placed that file, however a link is placed on my desktop in addition to the quicken backup file.
    I'm having a hard time following your description....
    When Quicken is installed,
    it usually creates a folder called \Quicken\ located in your \Documents\ folder....
    Do you have this ?
    This is usually where your Quicken Data File (QDF) is saved and opened.
    Do you have this ?
    This is also where the \Backup\ folder is created for the auto-backup files.
    Do you have this ?
    In addition, you can manually create backups anywhere you want.
    SO... have you created a backup file and saved it to your Desktop ?
    Here is what it might look like on your Desktop -
    the RED icon is the Quicken program..... the WHITE icon is the backup file.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    crickets.....

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• Yes I have these folders; I have not added a backup to my desktop; however it appears after I backup the latest entries :(
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When running a manual backup, check the path specified for the destination of the backup file.
    In this example, the backup file goes to the external USB drive, H:, and a \Quicken Backup\ folder.
    Your destination most likely reads C:\Users\username\Desktop\
    If it does, change that to an external storage device.

How to properly set up Quicken Backup
    How to make Quicken create a backup for you automatically every time you close Quicken
    What Quicken backups are available where?

For the sake of this discussion it is assumed that your Quicken data file is located in the Default (and recommended) place: C:\Users\username\Documents\Quicken

Review the backup settings available in Quicken (under Edit / Preferences / Backup).

In there you will find two types of backup: Automatic and Manual Backup.

Automatic Backup should be enabled and always goes to a \Backup folder that's part of the folder which contains your current Quicken data file, e.g. \Documents\Quicken\Backup. Set it to create a backup after running Quicken [1] times and to keep [9] (or more, your choice) backup copies.
    The file name for Automatic Backup files contains a date and time stamp as part of the file name, e.g. QDATA-2020-03-22.PM03.45.QDF-backup

To create a Manual Backup copy of your Quicken data file on an external device (USB-hard drive or USB memory stick recommended), put a checkmark at "Manual Backup Reminder" to enable the function and set "Remind me after running Quicken [xx] times" to [1].

Click OK to save the changes.

From now on, when you close Quicken using the red X button, you will get a popup window.

When you get this window for the first time, on some versions click the radio button for "Backup on my computer".
    Change the Backup File name's drive letter and path to point to your external device so that it looks something like this:
    E:\Quicken Backup\QDATA-2019-04-01.QDF-backup
    or use the Change button and work your way through the dialog.

Do not change the filename portion! Just overtype the drive letter and choose a backup folder name. If the folder does not exist, it will be created.

Also choose the option to "Add date to backup file name".

Every day when you run Backup or close Quicken, an additional backup file is created. Without the Add Date option you only have 1 backup copy which is overwritten every day ... and that may prove bad in a problem recovery situation.

Allow this backup to run to save the changes made on the screen.

Of course, once in a while you will have to go in and delete some of the oldest backup files, at your discretion, to avoid filling up your USB device.

One can never have enough backups of a Quicken data file. BTDTGTS!

• :smiley: After all of your effort I have found the problem and your last response helped. Thanks to all that participated in resolving my issues
This discussion has been closed.