Home Quicken for Windows Errors and Troubleshooting (Windows)

Quicken error and then crash trying to scan to attach a document (Q Win 2011)

Whenever I try to attach a document to a transaction by scanner, I get an error, code 7229 or 7118 or 7189, and then the program crashes and closes. I recently changed my printer and this has been happening since. Previously, when I hit the scanner tab a drop-down box of selection of printers shows up. Now nothing shows up. Instead what I get is an unexpected error with "Quicken has encountered a problem and needs to close. You may lose the data that you recently entered. We're sorry for this inconvenience." I am using Quicken 2011 in Windows 10.
I would really like to get back that function. Does anyone know how to fix this?
The new printer is HP Officejet 3830 All-in-one printer.

Best Answer

Answers

• Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken 2011 is pretty old. Have you got it set to any compatibility mode in Windows? Maybe run the compatibility troubleshooter or just try setting it to Windows 7 compatibility.
    Can you scan OK from other applications?
    I have an older OfficeJet 8600, and recently (a few months ago) got an unsolicited update to its scan program. It didn't work very well, but I was able to manually download and install a previous version I liked better.
    So I think your problem could have any of a number of causes and you'll have to troubleshoot. Report back if you can't fix it and tell us what you've done so far.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • WilliamQWilliamQ Member
    Thanks for the reply rocket. I had quicken set to be compatible with Windows 7. I ran the trouble shooter but nothing found.
    I don't understand what you mean by scanning from other applications. Quicken was the only program outside of the printer application from which I could do a scan.
    I uninstalled the printer and its program and reinstalled it, but still no luck.
    I was wondering: When the scan attachment was working in Quicken, in the dropdown box for the source for the scanner, I noticed that even though I had one printer, I had two choices between a WIA and a TWAIN. I'm wondering if that has something to do with the current problem. From what I have learned, WIA and TWAIN allow the printer or scanner to communicate with a program. Is that what allows a non-printer application to scan a document?
    So far I'm unable to figure out how to get WIA and TWAIN to work.
    Maybe I'm running down the wrong track.
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    My intuition says old Quicken is having trouble with the new HP scanner driver.
    I seem to have 3 different interfaces to scan from my OfficeJet 8600. "HP Scan & Capture", "HP Scan", and another whose name I can't seen to discover.
    "HP Scan & Capture" is the newest, and may be incompatible with Quicken 2011. The older "HP Scan" is the one I like better. I had to find it on the web and reinstall it.
    Re TWAIN vs. WIA, I find that choosing TWAIN takes me to my preferred HP Scan program. Choosing WIA takes me to the 3rd program which looks to be the oldest of them all.
    I don't understand what you mean by scanning from other applications. Quicken was the only program outside of the printer application from which I could do a scan.
    I meant running the scan program standalone, outside of Quicken. This is my normal procedure anyway. I notice I have the program "HP Scan" set to Windows 7 compatibility mode. I must have had to do that at some point for it to work. That program lives at "C:\Program Files (x86)\HP\HP Officejet Pro 8600\bin\HPScan.exe" on my PC.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
This discussion has been closed.