"Accept All" Gone

Since updating to Quicken for Windows version R27.24 the "Accept All" button no longer appears for downloaded transactions. Each transaction must now be accepted individually.

What's up with this?

Best Answer

• jwadle
    jwadle Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    (OP) Thanks for all this feedback.
    I've found the problem with the disappearing Accept All button.
    I normally run Quicken in a half-screen window and use my browser in the other half. In previous versions, the half-screen Quicken Transaction window included all the same columns and buttons as the full screen version. In the latest version R27.24, the columns survive squeezing to a half-screen window, but the button bar is truncated, including the Accept All button.
    Here's an attached shot of full and half screen with this version.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jwadle - It still shows up for me.  Sometimes after updating a program it needs to be closed and then reopened before all features/functions are fully restored.  Have you tried that?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    If one is going to use Accept All, I fail to see what the benefit that is over just using "Automatic transactions entry" mode is.

Can someone enlighten me?
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    I use Accept All after I have manually accepted those transactions that do not match transactions already in the register.  Often there are matched transactions that I can clear quickly because I have previously entered a reminder supporting the purchase or payment.  It also closes the register transaction download window so it save a key stroke or two.  

Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2023

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @jrfaris Well here is the part I don't get.

When using the Downloaded Transactions tab you can't see what categories (or tag/memo) Quicken is going to assign until you click on the transaction in the Downloaded Transaction tab.

So if you want to make sure they are categorized correctly you have to already go through them one by one.  And as such if a transactions is correct all you have to do is hit Enter and it will enter that transaction and go to the next one.

So it seems to me that if you are using Accept All you are either fine with not checking that Quicken has assigned the correct category or maybe you double check them when they get into the register?

When using automatic transaction entry mode all the transactions are in the register with all the information filled in and have either the status New or New Match.  So you can scan all the information and make sure it is correct.  And of course unmatch / manual match if needed.  And then you either mark each reviewed one at a time or mark them all reviewed at a time by selecting on one of the status values.  OR what I actually do is scan the New/New Match transactions to make sure they are all correct and then select reconcile and when I reconcile the transactions are also marked "reviewed" by clearing the New/New Match status.
    Signature:
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited June 2020
    For matched transactions, the categories are already assigned when I enter the reminder.  I haven't had a problem with Quicken changing any preassigned transaction categories.  

Quicken user since 1995

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:

When using the Downloaded Transactions tab you can't see what categories (or tag/memo) Quicken is going to assign until you click on the transaction in the Downloaded Transaction tab.
    You don't need to see the category to know what it will be. If you've assigned a single category to a payee and that payee is in the list it is known. If I have several transactions all from Hy-Vee and Walmart in a single day, I know they are for groceries and Accept All is simple and done.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    GeoffG said:
    Chris_QPW said:

You don't need to see the category to know what it will be. If you've assigned a single category to a payee and that payee is in the list it is known. If I have several transactions all from Hy-Vee and Walmart in a single day, I know they are for groceries and Accept All is simple and done.

I guess that could be one reason for it..  But I would bet that the main reason people use it is to ignore reviewing their transactions at all.
    Signature:
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    I guess that could be one reason for it.. 
    Another advantage to using Accept All is it becomes a one click motion. Accept All and one or multiple transactions are entered into the register and the review pane is closed. Using Accept requires accepting each transaction and then selecting Done to close the review pane.

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    This discussion appears to have gone off on a tangient.
    @jwadle ,
    I'm on the same version as you are and I do still have "Accept all". However, a new "Delete" button now appears as the leftmost button.
    Do you still have that problem with "Accept all" missing?
    If yes,...
    Sometimes a picture is worth a thousand words …

Can you please capture one or more images of the parts of your Quicken window showing the issue, sensitive information blacked out as necessary to protect your privacy but annotated to describe the situation, and attach the image(s) here?

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7867159/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-windows

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7663259/faq-how-do-i-post-a-screenshot-in-the-community-from-a-mac

Please save it to a file of file type PNG, JPG, or GIF only. They're easier to work with than PDF files.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @GeoffG :)  We are getting close to be The Jetsons.
    Signature:
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    When using automatic transaction entry mode all the transactions are in the register with all the information filled in and have either the status New or New Match.  So you can scan all the information and make sure it is correct.  And of course unmatch / manual match if needed.  And then you either mark each reviewed one at a time or mark them all reviewed at a time by selecting on one of the status values.  OR what I actually do is scan the New/New Match transactions to make sure they are all correct and then select reconcile and when I reconcile the transactions are also marked "reviewed" by clearing the New/New Match status.
    I'm not quite sure what you are referring to as "automatic transaction entry mode".  From your description of status values and marking as reviewed, it must be something I've never used or tried. Guess that's where the confusion lies.
    Also I've never seen the status New Match.  I have only New or Match.  I don't have preferences set to automatically add banking or investment transactions but do set some individual transactions for auto entry (typically service bills paid by credit card or bills paid directly by the FI). These typically show up as Match when downloaded.  I don't pre-enter most credit card purchases so they are nearly always New.  I categorize them when I accept them individually.  I do New transactions first and then Accept All remaining Match transactions. (Infrequently there will be a miss match that needs correcting first.)  As @GeoffG said, Accept All clears the remaining matched transactions and closes the review window with one key stroke.

Quicken user since 1995

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @jrfaris What if Quicken matched the wrong transactions in the register?

Quicken has certainly been known to do that.

Most long time/SuperUsers don't use automatic transaction entry mode, and whenever a match or categorization problem comes up they jump to the conclusion that is the problem and tell the users to turn it off (without ever using the feature).

It is on by default for new Quicken Windows users and in Quicken Mac it is the only method since they don't have the option to review transactions in the Downloaded Transactions tab.

It is a global or per account option.

Looks like this in practice:

Manual Match:

Once marked review (or reconciled or edited) the New/New Match is cleared.

The main advantage of working this way is that you are in the register so you can use the power of the register.  As in you can see many more transactions at a time, and what categories and tags have been assigned.  And you can sort by the status column to group all the new transactions together and use multiple select and such for operations like deleting for those cases of duplicate transactions from a reset/deactivated account.

The only real "disadvantages" I have seen to this mode is that you can only manual match to transactions that have exactly the same amount.  But in practice not only is that rare, what Quicken does is almost always wrong.  As in you have a transaction in your register that was an estimated value and then you download the real transaction and match to it, you would want Quicken to just change the amount to the one downloaded.  But instead it will create a split.  So you end up doing the same thing change the amount of the transaction in the register and then match.  And the other variation of this is matching multiple transactions, which the automatic transaction entry mode can't do.  You have to combine the transactions yourself as a split.
    Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    New Match example.

Signature:
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    And now that I look back at this I want to apologize to @jwadle.

I shouldn't have really posted any of this it is way off topic from what he/she asked about.
    Signature:
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Agree, we are way off topic but thanks for the replies.  I'll look them over and post a new question if necessary (probably not).

Quicken user since 1995

• jwadle
    jwadle Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I normally run Quicken in a half-screen window and use my browser in the other half. In previous versions, the half-screen Quicken Transaction window included all the same columns and buttons as the full screen version. In the latest version R27.24, the columns survive squeezing to a half-screen window, but the button bar is truncated, including the Accept All button.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    jwadle said:

Thanks for the image.
    In half-screen mode, what happens if you press the F11 - key (aka Full screen mode) to temporarily close the Account bar? Does that make all the buttons appear?
This discussion has been closed.