Automatic "Debit" & "Credit" in Action Column - how do I stop this

Version 5.16.1 (Build 516.33903.100): Since updating to the latest version of Quicken for Mac, every time I down load transactions, Quicken is automatically inserting either "Credit or "Debit" in the Action column of my credit card accounts. I want to stop this from occurring. I have a different view of what I want in the Action Column and all was good until this last update. For clarity:

First, I enter the transaction manually when I make a charge or payment to my credit card accounts. After a few days, the credit card transaction is downloaded from my bank. Quicken matches the transaction, marks the downloaded transaction with a check mark in the Clr column, and changes the "crayon" color from orange to blue. With the latest update, Quicken also inserts "Credit or "Debit" in the Action column.

I would like this to automatic insertion of "Credit or "Debit" in the Action column to stop. Any help wold be appreciated.

Bob

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I don't think there's any way to stop it. I have come to just ignore it. 

You can delete them all at once by opening Window > Actions, selecting those entries and clicking the minus sign. But you will have to keep doing this as they will re-appear on the next download.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • rtribit
    rtribit Member ✭✭
    Thank you - that is what I feared - Qicken, for some reason, added this as a "feature." Nice yo know I am not the only one.
  • RickO
    I think this actually comes from the bank as part of the QFX record. So not really Quicken's fault.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    I've found I really don't have a need for the Actions column, so I just hide it and never see it. ;) Our usages all vary, so maybe you have a reason you need the Action column for some transactions. Can you possibly enter something in the Memo field for those transactions, which you could then search for, instead of using the Action field?
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • rtribit
    rtribit Member ✭✭
    Thank you'all. I called Quicken help and the agent was very helpful. She listened while I explained what was happening. She then came up with a solution. About a month ago, I had download issues and was advised to switch from "Quicken Connect" to "Direct Connect" for my bank. She walked me through going back to "Quicken Connect." This seems to have fixed my problem. Only downside was I then had duplicate transactions, going back about 2 months, in my accounts which I then had to carefully manually delete.

Hopefully, this fixed my issue. I'll be able to confirm when I do my next download after the weekend.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    @rtribit You might have "fixed" this one problem, but set your self up for others.  Direct Connect tends to be much more reliable than Quicken Connect.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • RickO
    I mostly use the Action column to record the mechanism of a transaction For example, if a charge to a credit card was done via ApplePay, I put "ApplePay" in the Action column. To me, a little cleaner than putting that info in the memo. The actions that I create are in mixed case and the ones that are auto-generated are in all caps, so easy to distinguish. If I have entered one of my custom actions, then the downloaded DEBIT/CREDIT does not override it. I used to periodically delete the DEBIT/CREDIT actions, but now I find it easy to just ignore them.
This discussion has been closed.