Home Before you Buy

Upgrade Path

If I wanted to upgrade from Quicken 2017 Home and Business to a version of Quicken 2020, two questions:

1. What version MINIMALLY would I need? I only keep track of basic bank information, and stock trades. I do not do bill pay or buy and sell stocks thru Quicken if that's even possible. Plus I would like to avoid like the plague having my finances on the internet.

2. Can I go from the Home and Business path to a lesser version like Basic?

Thanks.

JR.

Best Answer

Answers

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    UKR said:
    Quicken 2020 (aka Subscription) still maintains the Quicken data file on your PC's internal hard drive. Only if you enable optional features to use Quicken on the Web (a browser based app) or Quicken Mobile on your smartphone, will portions of the data file reside on a Quicken server.
    These optional features were all present in Quicken 2017, if you didn't use them there, there is no reason that you will need to use them with subscription Quicken.
    So, based on what you have indicated, the only thing that you will gain with subscription Quicken is the ability to download your transactions from your financial institution.  If you don't download, why upgradeupgrade.

-splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• BoatnmaniacBoatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 4
    One nice feature of Subscription is you can upgrade/downgrade at any time and only pay/get credited for the difference between the versions prices.  No need to be buying a program version only to find out later you wanted something different and then needing to buy a whole new program to get it.
    I agree with @UKR that the minimum you will want (if you do decide to upgrade) is Deluxe.  If you find later that it lacks some of the investments analysis and reporting tools or tax tools you can always upgrade to Premier later to get those features turned on.  From what you've said, you don't need Home & Business.
    If you haven't already reviewed the versions comparison, go here:  https://www.quicken.com/compare.

Also, if you are looking to save some money, shop around.  You can either buy it directly from Quicken.com (sometimes they offer promo pricing) or you can buy it from a retailer (like Amazon or Best Buy).  You can often save some money buying it from a retailer, especially if you buy a 2018 or 2019 product.  Don't worry about the "2018" or "2019" since that is really nothing more than marketing for retailers.  The important thing is that you understand the subscription term (1 yr, 2 yrs or 2+ yrs) and that it comes with a valid activation code.  It's the same program and when you install it and activate the program you will be automatically updated to the latest subscription revision.  Also, your subscription starts when you enter the activation code (or the date of purchase if you by it from Quicken.com), not when you buy the program from the retailer.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R28.28 on Windows 10)
This discussion has been closed.