Were there problems with updating certain security quote starting July 1

Some stocks and some mutual funds in my 2 of my Fidelity accounts stopped updating on July 1 even though remain marked for quote updating. Is anyone else experiencing this problem?

Comments

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Market was closed July 3 ...
    QWin Premier subscription
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Quicken doesn't "know" that 7/3 was a stock market holiday.  SO, when it downloaded quotes on 7/3 it picked up (duplicated) the 7/2 prices.
    I just checked both Q and Fidelity (I'm their customer also) and the 7/2 closing quote for Fidelity Contrafund is duplicated on 7/3 from it's 7/2 value.  Fidelity confirms the value that I'm showing in Q.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Compounded problems.

1. Fidelity has long had a problem where they don't update the quotes sent to Quicken through One Setup Update until the next day.  As in 7/2/2020 quotes are updated on 7/3/2020 at 3am, and they use 7/3/2020 as the date for the quotes even though the quote is really for 7/3/2020.  I guess you can say it is "accurate" that a 3am on 7/3/2020 it is the same as it would have been on 7/2/2020 after the close, but how is Quicken suppose to know that a quote with a date of 7/3/2020 is really for 7/2/2020?  Note you can tell when a price comes from the broker and not Quicken's third party service by looking at it in the price history.  It will not have the volume (or high/low for non mutual funds).
    2. Since R27.24 One Setup Updates getting of quotes no longer overrides Fidelity's bad quote practices.  In the past this problem would get hidden because when Quicken gets quotes from it third party service it would override Fidelity's price.  For some reason that isn't happening any more, most likely due to some over site when they changed Quicken not to fetch the historical quotes, to speed up downloading of quotes.  Note that if you go to the Investing tab -> Portfolio (Ctlr+U) and select Update, that update works like before and gives you the correct prices by overriding Fidelity's prices.
    3. Since the stock markets weren't open on 7/3/2020 there are no prices from the third party quote service to hide Fidelity's prices, which are really from 7/2/2020.  Note that Fidelity isn't the only one doing this Ameritrade has been reported to doing the same thing.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    Compounded problems.

1. Fidelity has long had a problem where they don't update the quotes sent to Quicken through One Setup Update until the next day.  As in 7/2/2020 quotes are updated on 7/3/2020 at 3am, and they use 7/3/2020 as the date for the quotes even though the quote is really for 7/3/2020.  I guess you can say it is "accurate" that a 3am on 7/3/2020 it is the same as it would have been on 7/2/2020 after the close, but how is Quicken suppose to know that a quote with a date of 7/3/2020 is really for 7/2/2020?  Note you can tell when a price comes from the broker and not Quicken's third party service by looking at it in the price history.  It will not have the volume (or high/low for non mutual funds).
    2. Since R27.24 One Setup Updates getting of quotes no longer overrides Fidelity's bad quote practices.  In the past this problem would get hidden because when Quicken gets quotes from it third party service it would override Fidelity's price.  For some reason that isn't happening any more, most likely due to some over site when they changed Quicken not to fetch the historical quotes, to speed up downloading of quotes.  Note that if you go to the Investing tab -> Portfolio (Ctlr+U) and select Update, that update works like before and gives you the correct prices by overriding Fidelity's prices.
    3. Since the stock markets weren't open on 7/3/2020 there are no prices from the third party quote service to hide Fidelity's prices, which are really from 7/2/2020.  Note that Fidelity isn't the only one doing this Ameritrade has been reported to doing the same thing.
    For completeness....

4.  A five day historical pull from the third party quote service is providing the 7/2/2020 closing price for stock securities for 7/3/2020 even though the stock markets were not open on 7/3/2020.
  • Thanks for your incites regarding this situation. I believe your explanation is part of the problem. What's odd is that some Fidelity Funds and individual stock update and others do not. I have funds in a Fidelity Annuity Account that only update from Fidelity and not Quicken. I was able to get the missing quotes 7/2 using update price history for one of the securities. This is a laborious work around so I simply entered the correct quotes manually into the portfolio view from my Fidelity positions view.

This problem I believe happened after a program update last week. There was another update of the program 7/4. I hope this fixes the bug. It's unusual to get 2 updates so close together.

Thanks
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    "I have funds in a Fidelity Annuity Account that only update from Fidelity and not Quicken. "
    That's probably because they're not publicly traded securities/funds.  They're the Annuity version of the various funds and their quotes are ONLY available from Fido.

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• Yes. That's been apparent to me. They often don't update until 10 pm or sometimes the next day. Cudos to Fidelity for providing this service as well as a fabulous online platform and many other perks. Unfortunately too many of their funds are not great performers. T Rowe Price has better funds and good service but an inferior platform. It does sync well with quicken.
  • jfclague
    jfclague Member ✭✭✭✭
    I just ran a OSP update at 7:15pm EST and all my accounts have updated so Fidelity seems to be around 7pm.
  • Yep. It's fixed. Probably with the weekend program update
This discussion has been closed.