Home Before you Buy

Sharing a database

We're thinking about upgrading from Quicken 2015. We've always shared the data between 2 desktops on a network & never had a problem doing so. Of course, only 1 user can be in Quicken at a time, but that's OK because Quicken 2015 doesn't let you open a file twice simultaneously. Quicken now says this might cause data corruption. If so, that makes the upgrade impossible for us. Is there a way around this?

Best Answers

Answers

• UnknownUnknown Member
    Windows, & I backup every 2 hours automatically.

I thought of a remote desktop, but I understand that I'd either have to dedicate a computer or use a VM, both of which seem like overkill just to keep 2 users from accessing the same database simultaneously.

I suspect the scheduled backup has accessed the database when Quicken was in use, but it's good at staying out of the way.

I figured I could continue to work as heretofore, but the warning was so dire that I figured they might know something I didn't.
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Have you considered something like this in a .cmd file?

@echo off
    set DATA_FILE=Current.qdf
    set DATA_DIR=c:\Quicken
    set REMOTE_DIR=\\Server\QuickenShare

copy "%REMOTE_DIR%\%DATA_FILE%" "%DATA_DIR%\%DATA_FILE%"

"%ProgramFiles(x86)%\Quicken\qw.exe" "%DATA_DIR%\%DATA_FILE%"

copy "%DATA_DIR%\%DATA_FILE%" "%REMOTE_DIR%\%DATA_FILE%"

(I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
    BTW the likelihood of your data file getting corrupted by accessing it across the network is directly proportional how reliable your network is.

Quicken was created with the assumption of 100% good read/writes.  It has nothing for error correcting.

And as a business if you are going to state that your product works on a network you have consider the network to be not 100% reliable.

The word "network" doesn't even tell a person what kind of environment they are dealing with.  Is it Ethernet or WiFi or some other hardware?  Is it one of the Microsoft protocols or maybe Unix/Linux/Mac?
    Was it setup by an expert or a person that doesn't even know what a network is?

What you can do, and what Quicken Inc will support are not the same thing.
    And yes the risk is higher to use a network instead of using a local drive just because that is the nature of the beast.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    Now it's WiFi and the software is Microsoft, peer-to-peer. Before that it was Ethernet with a domain controller.

Re: "Was it setup by an expert or a person that doesn't even know what a network is?" Somewhere in between.

Yes, hardware problems can happen on any computer system, and they're undoubtedly more common the more complex the configuration is, as you noted.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    Chris_QPW,

It seems to me that a command file like that would let one user's transactions overwriting the other's.
    @S. Flaum yes it will if you aren't careful about letting the other know that you are editing the data file.  In the past I also included a "lock file" that the script would check for and warn the user that the other user is using the data file.  These days my wife doesn't edit the data file so that script above would be sufficient.

In truth though what I really do is copy my data file to a OneDrive location that her Quicken opens (in a script).  My data file is never a copy of hers.

In the past I have used a network drive and the locks work quite well.  We had a few "Oops" I didn't know you had it opened situations and of course Quicken just says that the data file is in use or shoots you back the "New user" dialog.   But note mine was always over Ethernet.  WiFi has got a lot better so I'm might trust it these days, but I certainly wouldn't have say 10 years ago.

There was two main reasons I stopped using a network drive.  One is that it is slower than a local drive and in some releases of Quicken it was "really slow".   But the main problem was that I needed to maintain a machine that would always be on separate from my wife's or mine machine.  I actually have such a machine, that I use for home automation and such, but it is just a RaspberryPi, which doesn't even serve up Gigabit speeds.
  • UnknownUnknown Member
    Thanks for the explanation.
This discussion has been closed.