Error CC-503 Errors Updating Elan Bank Fidelity Visa Credit Card Transactions

For the last week, or so, I am getting CC-503 or CC506 errors whenever I attempt to Update my Elan Bank Fidelity credit card account in Quicken. I haven't made any password or other changes that would affect the account, and I can successfully access the account via browser.

Best Answers

• vicw
    vicw Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    @Boatnmaniac I got eager and went ahead with the Deactivate/Reactivate the Elan Account. I'm happy to report that it seems to have resolved the problem.

I was concerned about the possible effects of that process, but it was quite easy, and didn't require much more than the obvious selections, and reentering my UserID and Password, and, I think, answering a Security Question.

I was a bit concerned when it showed that it had downloaded something like 1600 transactions, so I feared I might end up with a flotilla of duplicated transactions, but after it completed, the register showed only the transactions that were posted since the outage started, and the reported account balance matches what I see via my browser.

Thanks for your help with this problem. I now have one additional tool in my toolbox, that I can try when all else fails.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    vicw said:
    @Boatnmaniac I got eager and went ahead with the Deactivate/Reactivate the Elan Account. I'm happy to report that it seems to have resolved the problem.

I was concerned about the possible effects of that process, but it was quite easy, and didn't require much more than the obvious selections, and reentering my UserID and Password, and, I think, answering a Security Question.

I was a bit concerned when it showed that it had downloaded something like 1600 transactions, so I feared I might end up with a flotilla of duplicated transactions, but after it completed, the register showed only the transactions that were posted since the outage started, and the reported account balance matches what I see via my browser.

Thanks for your help with this problem. I now have one additional tool in my toolbox, that I can try when all else fails.
    @vicw - Sorry about the slow reply but I'm glad the deactivate/reactivate process worked for you.  FYI - I got a different error code when trying to update Elan this morning.  I then did Update Now and was prompted, once again, to answer a security question and then the account updated properly so don't be surprised if this happens to you, too.  It seems Elan still has some work to do with their system so it recognizes the IP and doesn't continue to prompt for answers to security questions.
    A couple of comments when encountering error codes troubleshooting:
    1. Update Now should be your first step because it does not cause any disruption to your account in Quicken...it is essentially OSU but with only the one account.  It will often resolve OSU connection issues.
    2. Reset Account should be your next step if Update Now does not fix the connection problem.  Generally it is not disruptive but once in a while it is and will prompt you to match the FI information downloaded to your account in Quicken and if you do not Link it to your account in Quicken it will either create a new account in Quicken or will simply ignore it.  Reset Account will often fix issues that Update Now does not.
    3. Deactivate/Reactivate should be your last option.  It is disruptive to Quicken because it disconnects the account from Online Services and then attempts to reconnect.  It also has the potential to create a new account in Quicken if you don't Link it properly to the account you already have.  Also it will oftentimes cause transactions to be entered into the register that were already there.  Those duplicate transactions will need to be manually deleted which can be time consuming when the FI downloads months of transactions.  (I'm glad you didn't have to deal with that this time!)
    4. It is strongly recommended when doing Reset Account and especially for Deactivate/Reactivate to backup your data file before proceeding so it can be quickly restored is something goes wrong.
    Have a great day!

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

Answers

• vicw
    vicw Member ✭✭
    Thanks @Boatnmaniac Actually, I did try that same Reset routine yesterday, but it wasn't successful.

Perhaps the account was locked at that time, due to multiple Update attempts. I'll give it another try tomorrow. It's encouraging that it worked for you.
  • vicw
    vicw Member ✭✭
    I tried the Account Reset again today, but it failed with an Account Reset Failure.

Up until a year or so ago, Account Reset was the only Update process that worked at all for that account, until Elan/Quicken somehow managed to fix the normal Update process, which has worked pretty well since then, but this outage is quite disappointing, especially trying to guess at the underlying cause.

I really wish Elan would switch over to the "Direct Connect" Transaction Download setup for Quicken, which all of my other accounts use, instead of the quirky "Express Web Connect".

@Boatnmaniac - you suggested that I might try deactivate/reactivate the account, which I have tried before. Does that process require a complete new setup of the account, or delete records from the account on Quicken?
  • vicw
    vicw Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓

• Boatnmaniac
    Answer ✓
    vicw said:

@vicw - Sorry about the slow reply but I'm glad the deactivate/reactivate process worked for you.  FYI - I got a different error code when trying to update Elan this morning.  I then did Update Now and was prompted, once again, to answer a security question and then the account updated properly so don't be surprised if this happens to you, too.  It seems Elan still has some work to do with their system so it recognizes the IP and doesn't continue to prompt for answers to security questions.
    A couple of comments when encountering error codes troubleshooting:
    1. Update Now should be your first step because it does not cause any disruption to your account in Quicken...it is essentially OSU but with only the one account.  It will often resolve OSU connection issues.
    2. Reset Account should be your next step if Update Now does not fix the connection problem.  Generally it is not disruptive but once in a while it is and will prompt you to match the FI information downloaded to your account in Quicken and if you do not Link it to your account in Quicken it will either create a new account in Quicken or will simply ignore it.  Reset Account will often fix issues that Update Now does not.
    3. Deactivate/Reactivate should be your last option.  It is disruptive to Quicken because it disconnects the account from Online Services and then attempts to reconnect.  It also has the potential to create a new account in Quicken if you don't Link it properly to the account you already have.  Also it will oftentimes cause transactions to be entered into the register that were already there.  Those duplicate transactions will need to be manually deleted which can be time consuming when the FI downloads months of transactions.  (I'm glad you didn't have to deal with that this time!)
    4. It is strongly recommended when doing Reset Account and especially for Deactivate/Reactivate to backup your data file before proceeding so it can be quickly restored is something goes wrong.
    Have a great day!

• vicw
    vicw Member ✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac Thanks again, and I really appreciate your help and expertise.

I am capturing your detailed recommendations in a OneNote page for future reference, as these connection issues seem to pop up often.
  • Boatnmaniac
    vicw said:
    @Boatnmaniac Thanks again, and I really appreciate your help and expertise.

I am capturing your detailed recommendations in a OneNote page for future reference, as these connection issues seem to pop up often.
    You are welcome.  Another way to save a conversation here is to bookmark the post thread by clicking on the star to the right of the post title.  Then it will be saved in My Bookmarks toward the top left of the Community page under Quick Links.

This discussion has been closed.