Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)

Cannot view Quotes after installing Ver. R27.24 (build 27.1.27.24) on 6/24/2020.

Answers

• Randy_PRandy_P Member ✭✭
    Bob, Under Financial Institutions - all of my accounts complete and update, Under Online Services - Investing.Quicken.com Updates, But Quotes and investment information are showing waiting when the window closes. I dont have Update Bills
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Randy_P said:
    I don't have a Fidelity account, so Im not sure whats happening there. What I still see is that when I do an Update Now (OSU), the quotes like (T) have the ame price as the previous market close date. When I go into Investing and Update-Quotes the actual current stock price is updated. So its still a Quicken Problem with OSU.
    Fidelity is being called out because we know it has the problems with the delayed quotes, but they aren't the only broker doing the same thing.  For instance another person said that AmeriTrade has the same problem.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
    Also as I mentioned before, I do an OSU no current quotes, only previous day market quotes. I verified by looking at Price History of Stock such as (T), I go to Investing window Update Quotes, stock quotes update correctly. If I do a OSU aging all the quotes revert back to previous day quotes.
    edited July 6
    Bob. said:
    1. This is not a Fidelity issue. Coincidence. Fidelity is working as it always had.

This a yes and no situation.

Fidelity does have a problem and has always had a problem.  Their quotes are long delayed and dated on the wrong date.

And No Fidelity didn't just change something.  The change was in Quicken's One Step Update.

Before Quicken's One Step Update was hiding Fidelity's problem, and now it isn't.

Given that Fidelity (and other brokerages doing the same thing) aren't going to change Quicken Inc needs to change Quicken's One Setup Update back to cover up Fidelity's problem.
  • Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭
    Randy_P said:
    Bob, Under Financial Institutions - all of my accounts complete and update, Under Online Services - Investing.Quicken.com Updates, But Quotes and investment information are showing waiting when the window closes. I dont have Update Bills
    Thanks. SO its always good to know it is not just me seeing the window close before completely. Which makes me think it might be a timing issue. Maybe not.
  • Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    Bob. said:
    1. This is not a Fidelity issue. Coincidence. Fidelity is working as it always had.

This a yes and no situation.

Fidelity does have a problem and has always had a problem.  Their quotes are long delayed and dated on the wrong date.

And No Fidelity didn't just change something.  The change was in Quicken's One Step Update.

So this begs the question for me Chris is why it did not work Thursday and does today?  Thursday I saw what Randy described a few posts back. And this is now the second day since 27.24 where it IS working as expected. If it was a Quicken change I would think it would ALWAYS show the same incorrect performance. But it does not. Which is what makes me think its a timing issue.

But then, when it works, it works ALL day. And vice-versa. Not changing with any random OSU.
    Bob. said:
    Randy_P said:
    Thanks. SO its always good to know it is not just me seeing the window close before completely. Which makes me think it might be a timing issue. Maybe not.

If it was a timing issue, how would your quotes be updated today, not to mention that the news information?

Just because they don't take the time to update that status before closing the dialog doesn't mean it didn't do it.

Put some securities into the watch list and do a One Setup Update and you will find that they always update with no problem.
  • Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭
    Lemme see what tomorrow brings.

And the fact it works today and not Thursday shows me a timing issue is possible. And I have many in my watch list Chris. As I mentioned a few messages ago, I don't recall if when this fails if those are updated when these are not or not. Next failure will answer that.
    Bob. said:
    So this begs the question for me Chris is why it did not work Thursday and does today?  Thursday I saw what Randy described a few posts back. And this is now the second day since 27.24 where it IS working as expected. If it was a Quicken change I would think it would ALWAYS show the same incorrect performance. But it does not. Which is what makes me think its a timing issue.
    Bob I explained what was going on a few posts back.  A weekend is special because Fidelity didn't post quotes today.  Fidelity quotes are one day behind.  And note this weekend is even more special since it was a long weekend.

Check all your Fidelity securities and you will find that Fidelity sent out a quote for 7/3/2020 when the stock market was closed.  The reason is because it is in fact that the closing price for 7/2/2020.

When there is both a quote from the broker and one from the quote service One Setup Update is using the one from the broker and in the case of Fidelity that means using a quote from one day ago.

When there isn't a quote from the broker One Setup Update is using the one from the quote service.  In the past One Setup Update always used the one from the quote service not the one from the broker.
  • Ron StrongRon Strong Member ✭✭
    > @Chris_QPW said:

> Fidelity quotes are delayed one day.
    > So that means that you got Thursday's quote on Friday.  Like this:
    > (Image)

> ""There is a screen Shot here""

> You can tell the 7/3/2020 quote is from Fidelity because it has no high/low information.
    >
    > So that means that you will get Monday's quote on Tuesday.  And its date will be 7/7/2020 even though the quote is really for 7/6/2020.

I'm getting confused here.

Wasn't the screenshot in the excerpt made in the early hours of 7/3 (a day the market was closed). it is the same as the quote for 7/2, which is displayed on the following line and is the real data for 7/2(Thursday). The line dated 7/3 appears around midnight for securities with a ticker and always contains the previous days closing price.
  • Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    Bob I explained what was going on a few posts back.  A weekend is special because Fidelity didn't post quotes today.  Fidelity quotes are one day behind.  And note this weekend is even more special since it was a long weekend...

.... In the past One Setup Update always used the one from the quote service not the one from the broker.
    I don't think you ever said that last sentence in so many words,Chris. And I still have trouble understanding why it works on Mondays. But be that as it may...

It is not working today. I did a poor test that needs to be repeated better tomorrow, but it appears that after the first OSU of the day NO stock quotes are updated at all, even though checked in OSU. And after an Update Quotes all look as expected. But then after subsequent OSU's quotes are not updated for all stocks and stocks held in Fidelity brokerage which have now been set to 0.00 for those only. So for me at least, it is a little more complex that just the stocks I hold in Fidelity accounts (on Tues-Friday :).

I cannot confirm totally until tomorrow. But I believe this is true.
  • Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭
    Going to try a different experiment.

OSU with get Quotes checked AND update Fidelity checked - NO quotes are updated and Fidelity is set to 0.00 for those stocks in the brokerage account.

OSU with Quotes checked and Fidelity unchecked - All Quotes updated as expected, but of course, if there were Fidelity transactions they would not have been downloaded.

So it seems that Fidelity checked in OSU not only affects the stocks held in the Fidelity brokerage account, but it appears to affect Quotes for all watched stocks as well.

Not 100% sure of this yet, but it looks like that is the case. Will test again tomorrow
    Note that you can only have one price per day, so the "last one wins".

Yesterday there wasn't a price from Fidelity because its is sending out the prices one day late and the day before yesterday was Sunday, a day where there isn't any price. 

You can see this in the first table.  The stock market was close on Friday 7/3 for Independence Day.  Notice that you have a prices from the quote service on both 7/2 and 7/6, but not on 7/3.  Instead on 7/3 you have Fidelity's price for 7/2 (a day late).  You can tell the difference because the broker price will not have high/low/volume (in this case there is never a volume because it is a mutual fund).

In the second table there isn't yet a price for this security for this day (7/7), but you see a price there.  But when you look at it you will see it is Fidelity's price and instead of a price for 7/7 it is actually the closing price for 7/6.

So here are the possible combinations for updating prices for One Step Update.

First combination:
    A price only from broker for the day.  (clearly this price "wins" and is recorded in the price history.)

Second combination:
    A price from only the quote service for the day.   (clearly this price "wins" and is recorded in the price history.)

Third combination:
    A price from both the broker and quote service for the day.  Here is where the choice comes in, and what changed.  Before Quicken was using the one from the quote service, but now it is using the one from the broker.  And since Fidelity's (and some other brokers) is one day behind that is causing all the problems.

Note that on a Monday Fidelity isn't sending a price because it is one day behind and the day before Monday is Sunday, it doesn't send out a price on Sunday.  So that means on Monday you have the Second combination above with Fidelity and other brokers that are doing the same thing.
  • Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭
    OK. Lightbulb, Chris. I "assumed" that just like Thursday was using the Wednesday close, Monday would be using the last one or Thursday. You say they use Sunday and there was none, hence the difference in how it works Monday. a bit more clear now. You can see why I thought it should not make a difference.

And if it is that simple that Quicken changed which they used, should be a simple fix if we can get their attention.  Or even  a preferences check box for use Broker or Quotes for Investment Updates. Hopefully six pages of this got noticed.
  • bmciancebmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think everyone  should “report a problem” from within Quicken under Help.  I did that last week.  If enough people do that it should hopefully get their attention.  
    Just sent via Quicken Help - Report a Problem
    Bob. said:
    And if it is that simple that Quicken changed which they used, should be a simple fix if we can get their attention.  Or even  a preferences check box for use Broker or Quotes for Investment Updates. Hopefully six pages of this got noticed.
    And what makes you think they don't know?

Any fix, has to be approved, coded, tested, ... It isn't going to show up the next day especially with all the new problems that have been reported lately.

And people need to keep this in perspective.  The workaround is hitting Update. It isn't like a crash that is preventing you from doing something.

Personally think it is impossible that they don't know about it.  People can go on and on about it, and submit reports and such, and that might affect the "priority", but they would have to be blind, deaf, and lacking of a brain to not have had this brought to their attention.
  • Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭
    edited July 7
    Well, it doesn't appear this change was well tested. They fixed the Paypal issue but never notified any user that has escalated trouble tickets. Not impossible they don't read these topics.

Let's see what happens. I finally "get it". I finally have tested all my possibilities to death Just going to wait until it works again. Done all I can do.
    Finally, I performed OSU and only one security downloaded. Performed a manual update and all securities downloaded. Two screenshots of QCOM downloaded, don't know where they will end up.
  • MishawakaKirkMishawakaKirk Member
    Clearly Not fixed.
    Using OSU, credit cards, bank and brokerage Transactions all updated. However all brokerage accounts returned a Day Gain/Loss of zero (11:00 AM EST today). TDAmeritrade, Fidelity, etc.

Then promptly going to Investing >> Update, all accounts updated with a current value and portfolio's are now showing a Gain/Loss for the day, as they should.

So, this is not resolved, not fixed; but it is work-able, realizing the easy work-around. It is now a Two-Step update.... use OSU first, to get Bank & CC transactions; then go to Investing >> Update to get a mid-day +/- update of portfolio's.
  • shelquisshelquis Member ✭✭
    @MishawakaKirk, love your summary of the current situation.

> @MishawakaKirk said:....... "So, this is not resolved, not fixed; but it is work-able, realizing the easy work-around. It is now a Two-Step update.... use OSU first, to get Bank & CC transactions; then go to Investing >> Update to get a mid-day +/- update of portfolio's."

This is exactly what I've been doing fot the last couple of weeks. I wish they'd fix OSU, but it's not a showstopper.
  • Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭
    @Chris_QPW

Just had a surprising experience. The programmers in India reached out to me as they were unable to to reproduce this issue in India and were not quite sure what the issue was that we were describing. With the help of Chris's explanations, I  was able to explain and show them what had changed and they now understand that OSU has changed how Quotes are handled. The OSU window closing before Quotes show as complete also helped as it could be a timing issue in retrieving quotes.

I have confidence they now know the issue and they are checking how OSU changed. I expect a fix to come. No timeline, but I am sure they will correct this.

A most pleasant surprise.
  • bmciancebmciance SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Sounds promising. Let’s keep our fingers crossed!  Thanks for showing them the issue.  
    edited July 8
    @Bob.  That's great news.  BTW the problem might be a timing issue, but I'm 99.999% sure it won't be what you are thinking.

If the issue was that the quotes aren't being updated because the dialog closes too soon, why did you get the right prices on Monday?  As in when the broker's price is missing it has no problem whatsoever to get the price from the quote service, and the "Waiting" is shown just the same in both cases.  I think the "Waiting" is just because they have failed to update the status on the dialog (or they did, but it changes just before they close the dialog and so you never see it), not that it has failed to retrieve the prices and had a chance to apply them.

After all have you looked the this status even when they "fail"?

If it is a timing issue I think what is much more likely is that they have speed up the fetching of quotes from the quote service that they have changed the order in which things are done.  As in if the Waiting is totally bogus and they are actually doing them in parallel there could be a race between how fast the get the quotes from the quote service and the quotes from the brokers.  But in truth I think this is doubtful.
  • Bob.Bob. Member ✭✭✭
    Well, the timing issue might be that OSU has retrieved the quotes from Fidelity using yesterdays end of day but has not yet reached out to the third party provider (I forget their name) to update quotes. Possible, that's all and they are looking. They were surprised the OSU window closes before Quotes and Bills show as complete and so are looking to see if it is timing. I had to mention that.

Right prices Monday are because there is no Fidelity quote as you explained to me :)

The status could be showing Fidelity rather than third party. I do not know what they are reading for that.

Could be doubtful. But no harm in checking. And I trust they get it now. As do I :) And no reason to continue guessing. Hopefully we will find out.

And they do read some of the community which is very good to know.

• thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    No wonder, I  never experienced this bug. I don't normally download Quotes using One Step Update. I go to the Invest Tab. Click Portfolio, Show Quotes and click Update.

This method is a lot quicker than having to wait each and every time, while the Banks update, which only occurs one time per day, as Pending Transactions never get downloaded, only posted transactions are downloaded, with my Banks
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R29.12 USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.5 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 20221.1000
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19041.508

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• ps56kps56k SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    . I go to the Invest Tab. Click Portfolio, Show Quotes and click Update.
    tnx for the suggestion.... don't normally use the Invest tab -
    I did notice that all the Quotes are from the actual currrent portfolio + watch list + xxx
    I can see how things can get added, and you have to use Customize to select which Securities you want to show... vs ones that you no longer hold.
    Quicken 2020 Deluxe - Subscription - Windows 10
  • ProfQuillProfQuill Member ✭✭
    Just for another small data point, all my stuff, Fidelity included, updated nicely today, doing OSU only around 7 PM. So maybe the performance optimization depends a lot on whatever accounts you have, timing, etc.
    I did my daily OSU. One of three computers did not download all the quotes. Did a manual update on that one. The price histories for all securities I checked did not include a quote for 7/9. The other two that downloaded by OSU all securities checked had a quote for 7/9.. This was done between 11:30 PM MDT 7/8 and 12/28 AM MDT on 7/9
This discussion has been closed.