Investing Deposit: Requesting a category?

I am a new quicken user. I have a HSA account that i have only deposited money in monthly and earned interest. No investments, yet.

It started asking me for a category for one deposit, yet i have another 100 with no category request or listed category, that i could tell. everything is the same with this one deposit as with the others. Any ideas why this would be the case? i'm only planning to use Quicken as Investment tracking and not budgeting. any advice would be appreciated.

Comments

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Probably one of your user preferences got inadvertently changed.
    Edit > Preferences > Notify > When entering uncategorized transactions

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• w392598
    w392598 Member ✭✭
    thanks for that ... looks like it matches yours so don't think that is the trick.
  • w392598
    w392598 Member ✭✭
    this is what i'm seeing ...
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Click where I have indicated and it will take you to the transactions that doesn't have a category.

If you post a screenshot of that transaction and maybe one of the ones you say don't have the problem we can give you a better idea of what is going on.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • w392598
    w392598 Member ✭✭
    Capture 1 = the one that has been flagged
    Capture 2 = the one that is not flagged but appears the same.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    w392598 said:
    Capture 1 = the one that has been flagged
    Capture 2 = the one that is not flagged but appears the same.
    Adjust the Date range to include the earlier transaction: click on the small gear icon on the upper right of the Where you money goes item on the Home view
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    It is strange that one reacts like this.
    Are you sure that it is warning about that transaction?
    Did you click on the link I pointed out and it took you to that transaction?

From what I see the option that @Rocket J Squirrel mentioned and the one on "Where Your Money Goes" are only suppose to apply to non investment accounts.

Your HSA account is an investment account and as such non of this should apply to what is done in that account.

Do you have any non investment accounts that you might have put a transaction in without a category?

When I tried to reproduce what you are seeing like your old deposits for this account there isn't any warning for no using a category and they don't show up in the "Where Your Money Goes".

BTW the categories for these deposits should really be a transfer from the account that funds it.  Like [Other Account].  If whatever account funds it isn't in Quicken then you should used [Fidelity HSA], which means it money is coming/going from outside of Quicken.

If that is in fact the transaction that is causing the warning then I would try entering [Fidelity HSA] in the category and see if the warning goes away.
    Signature:
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Chris_QPW said:
    It is strange that one reacts like this.
    Are you sure that it is warning about that transaction?
    Did you click on the link I pointed out and it took you to that transaction?

From what I see the option that @Rocket J Squirrel mentioned and the one on "Where Your Money Goes" are only suppose to apply to non investment accounts.

Your HSA account is an investment account and as such non of this should apply to what is done in that account.

Do you have any non investment accounts that you might have put a transaction in without a category?

When I tried to reproduce what you are seeing like your old deposits for this account there isn't any warning for no using a category and they don't show up in the "Where Your Money Goes".

BTW the categories for these deposits should really be a transfer from the account that funds it.  Like [Other Account].  If whatever account funds it isn't in Quicken then you should used [Fidelity HSA], which means it money is coming/going from outside of Quicken.

If that is in fact the transaction that is causing the warning then I would try entering [Fidelity HSA] in the category and see if the warning goes away.

@Chris_QPW  It's not strange at all.  The earlier transaction is simply outside of the date range.  Also, the Where your money goes item is not limited to non investment accounts.  To customize the accounts, click on the small gear icon on the upper right of the Where you money goes item on the Home view
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Chris_QPW said:
    From what I see the option that @Rocket J Squirrel mentioned ... are only suppose to apply to non investment accounts.
    Nope. This is in a brokerage account.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Rocket J Squirrel yes you are correct, that "Where your money goes" has a date range slipped my mind and I made a wrong assumption.

What compounded it is I thought I did have the option to warn me about uncategorized transactions on.  For some reason it keeps turning off on me.
    Signature:
  • w392598
    w392598 Member ✭✭
    Yes, date range adjustment shows more than one. so, what should i be categorizing these? i am only using Q for investment purposes so don't really want to get into categorization if i can avoid.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @w392598 It seems like you already have to preference off that would have a popup dialog warning you about not using a category so that is inline with what you want.  But that doesn't extend to no showing the warning on the "Where Your Money Goes" "widget" on the Home tab, but if you aren't concerned about categories there isn't any reason why you can't just ignore that warning.

What you end up with for the most part are transactions without any categories, which is certainly allowed.  There is even a selection for "uncategorized" in the reports.  Note that some investment accounts like a sell will automatically get a category because it recording categories used in tax reports and such.

If you do want to categorize these deposits, since you aren't tracking the account that is supplying the money I would just set the category to the name of the account in square brackets.  Like if the account is "Account A" then the category would be [Account A].  This syntax is used in Quicken whenever the money comes/goes from outside of Quicken's accounts/categories.
    Signature:
This discussion has been closed.