Home Quicken for Mac Registers & Transactions (Mac)

Quickfill rules - same payee, multiple categories? (Q Mac)

frankfurterfrankfurter Member ✭✭
My local grocer has groceries, and fuel.

The Statement Payee for groceries is:
DILLONS # 225

The Statement Payee for fuel is:
DILLONS F # 225

I want to quickfill my categories based on the statement payee. Is this possible?
Tagged:

Best Answer

Answers

• ZoolookZoolook Member ✭✭✭
    Yes, go to the Payees list and make sure both payees are there - then where you see quickfill rules, you can create two distinct rules one for each payee.
  • frankfurterfrankfurter Member ✭✭
    I think that's to rename the payee, no? The payee name will always be "Dillon's", but the category needs to change depending on the "Statement Payee" name.
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @frankfurter did you notice the one for fuel is "DILLONS F" whereas the one for groceries is just "DILLONS".
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
    Yes. That was my point of posting them. I must be slow then, because two people now are telling me it's possible, yet I don't see how.

See attached. You can create two rules, but not automatically set the category based on the actual Statement Payee. See the red arrow in my screenshot.
    You hit on the solution, so I thought you understood.  You need to fix your renaming rule(s).  Right now you are changing any payee with DILLONS in it to Dillon's, so both of your different payees will get mapped to one QuickFill rule/category.  You need to have a renaming rule that changes "DILLONS F" to something like Dillion's Fuel, and then have a different QuickFill rule for it to fill in the category.

The really hard part here is going to be how to clean up the # 255.

I probably shouldn't jump in here because in fact I'm a Windows user and don't know exactly how Quicken Mac renaming rules will "react".

If there is an "order" to them you would put in this renaming rule first:
    "DILLONS F" to Dillion's Fuel

And then:
    DILLONS to Dillion's

In the case of Quicken Windows renaming rules there isn't any given "order to them", but is will pick the more specific one first.
    So if I have both
    DILLONS to Dillion's
    "DILLONS F" to Dillion's Fuel

It will first try "DILLONS F" and if that applies do it and stop.
    If if fails it will then try DILLONS and if that applies do it and stop.
    edited July 8
    I guess I should've clarified, I don't *want* two different payees. I want one Payee of "Dillon's", and the ability to auto-assign either a category of Groceries or a category of "Auto:Fuel" based on the Statement Payee.

Your suggestion would work, but I only want one Payee. (But thanks for the thoughtful reply).
  • NotACPANotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    But, if the Payee "Dillon's F" isn't used .... HOW is Q supposed to know what category to use?
    The only other option is that you manually input these transactions, with the Category desired, before they download.  Q will then match the download to the previously input transaction.
    Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
    edited July 8
    I guess I should've clarified, I don't *want* two different payees. I want one Payee of "Dillon's", and the ability to auto-assign either a category of Groceries or a category of "Auto:Fuel" based on the Statement Payee.

Your suggestion would work, but I only want one Payee. (But thanks for the thoughtful reply).
    If renaming rules and QuickFill were combined you might have been able to do what you want, but they aren't.  So like @NotACPA said there isn't any way for the QuickFill to do what you want.  It isn't magic, you have given it the same payee and asked it to do two different things.
    edited July 8
    This is basic coding, and I thought I had perhaps overlooked it in the dreadful Quicken UI. I apologize for thinking this forum was attended by Quicken employees.

"If renaming rules and QuickFill were combined you might have been able to do what you want, but they aren't.  So like @NotACPA said there isn't any way for the QuickFill to do what you want.  It isn't magic, you have given it the same payee and asked it to do two different things."

You're both very, err, helpful. The first post was "is this possible"? The last reply is "it isn't magic". Lol. Thanks.
    It's NOT "basic coding" if you can't describe how Q should know which category to use with "Dillon's".  It would be, indeed, magic.  Or total guesswork.
    edited July 8
    @NotACPA - [removed - violation of Community Guidelines] I said very clearly - "I want one Payee of "Dillon's", and the ability to auto-assign either a category of Groceries or a category of "Auto:Fuel" based on the Statement Payee."

How much more clear can I make it?

But thanks, @Chris_QPW, that's more or less what I was after. Not possible.
    But how would Q know WHICH of those "auto-assigned categories" to use???
    edited July 8
    Do you even know what Statement Payees are? It's not the same as Payees. [removed - violation of Community Guidelines]

Pseudo-code:

if Statement Payee contains "DILLONS # 225", then set Payee to "Dillon's" and Category to Groceries
    if Statement Payee contains "DILLONS F # 225", then set Payee to "Dillon's" and Category to Auto:Fuel
    Point is, you CAN have the same Payee with multiple categories. Quicken has just decided, apparently, they don't want to add this functionality to the rules.
  • Quicken_NatalieQuicken_Natalie Moderator mod
    Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to share your thoughts here regarding this issue, however, this thread has become argumentative and is being closed.

If you are still experiencing an issue, we encourage you to create a new post outlining the specifics of the issue.

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

This discussion has been closed.