Can I reconcile out of order?

Due to cancer treatment in 2019 I am WAY behind updating things. I am working on catching things up though. Is it ok or even possible to reconcile out of order? Meaning can I reconcile my 2019 and 2020 checking account and then go back and polish off 2018. Horrible I know but that's my situation.
Tagged:

Best Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    That's not really possible. The ending balance of month 1 becomes the beginning balance to month 2, so working backwards is not possible. If you've been diligent on updating the transactions, you should find most months easily falling into place.

Answers

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    That's not really possible. The ending balance of month 1 becomes the beginning balance to month 2, so working backwards is not possible. If you've been diligent on updating the transactions, you should find most months easily falling into place.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Do you have all your monthly statements, as hardcopy or PDF file available?
    Going backwards in time, does each monthly statement's Ending Balance match the account register's Running Balance on that day or are there discrepancies?
    If you're lucky, last month's statement might match your register balance and then you can reconcile all transactions, sight unseen ... case closed.
    If there are discrepancies, work your way forward in chronological order, month after month, from the oldest unreconciled month, until you have eliminated all discrepancies and statement balance matches running balance.
  • joenspa
    joenspa Member ✭✭
    Thanks everyone. Most but not all transactions are downloaded. Unfortunately some months have quite a few transactions that need inputted. I'll keep plugging along.
This discussion has been closed.