Why is the Paycheck Wizard corruption issue not listed under known issues?

RichMD
RichMD Member ✭✭✭
The #1 problem I (and many others) have had with Quicken for a LONG time is corruption caused by the Paycheck wizard entries with split-lines and contributions to other accounts - 401K, HSA, etc. I have a Quicken for windows 10 subscription and am always running the latest version. The corruption is inconsistent but continues to occasionally happen with no discernible pattern. There are MANY threads on the variations where duplicate entries are in the other accounts and if you try to view the details in the paycheck entry, all the splits are gone. It seems like this issue (ongoing for years) is being ignored when corrupting previous entries is far worse than simply failing to connect to an online institution. At the very least it should be listed as an ongoing issue. I have suggested possible ways to help detect the issue - file validation and super file validation does NOT even detect it. I would be willing to do extra steps to help support troubleshoot the problem but the offers are not being seen or ignored. I have been very optimistic that Quicken would resolve this since there are now frequent updates/fixes but I am not sure this problem has anyone's attention - possibly too difficult to fix?

Answers

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    For what it is worth there is thread in the Known Issues section for this problem:

As for fix it, the very fact that it is "inconsistent" and "occasionally happen" basically gives you the main reason why the problem hasn't been fixed.  For the developers to fix a problem they have to first be able to reproduce it (in a reasonable amount of time).  Without that there really isn't anything they going to be able to do unless they just get "lucky" and spot it while doing something else.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Stated differently, "The most difficult problem in the world to fix is the one where the problem can't be succinctly defined".

Q user since February, 1990. DOS Version 4
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription, Business & Personal
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP

• shatwell
    shatwell Member
    I have a continuous problem with the 401k Employer Contribution being duplicated in my transfer account. I deleted my paycheck setup and redid it, but the duplicate Employer contribution is still posting in the transfer account when I add an Employer Contribution. The Employer contribution is also being subtracted in the final Paycheck amount that posts in my register, which shouldnt be happening. Also, the final deposit amount show on the Paycheck split doesnt match what is posting in my register. The only way to fix it, is to edit the split, zero out the Employer Contribution, save and close it. The register amount is then correct, but then I dont have the Employer Contribution in my transfer account. If I edit the Paycheck split again and enter the correct Employer Contribution, the transfer account now shows 2 line items for Employer Contribution, but 1 line item has zero amount. The Net Paycheck amount in my register is now also correct, but I have to do this convoluted workaround to get my accounts to have the correct amounts.
  • RichMD
    RichMD Member ✭✭✭
    @Chris_QPW and @NotACPA , the problem CAN be detected if the file validation simply looks for duplicate entries in transfer accounts and then checks the corresponding check register entries. There was an entry in the "known issues" from TWO YEARS ago and nothing since? The first step in resolving an issue like this is giving at least the option for more verbose logging and also have super validation (or something like it) do the checks I mentioned above. I can manually search and find duplicate entries in the transfer accounts and then when I open the paycheck entry, the entries are all gone. Certainly, the validation could automatically do that. Then looking at the verbose logging could help determine what happened. If a higher priority was given to this bug I guarantee that it could be resolved using some steps like I mentioned above. I have worked in IT for over 20 years and have troubleshot MANY inconsistent issues. A methodical approach works as long as the problem at least occasionally happens (rather than VERY rarely) and I have seen this issue probably at least 10 times personally.
  • RichMD
    RichMD Member ✭✭✭
    @Quicken_Sarah : Could Quicken provide SOME kind of response on whether we should simply stop using the Paycheck wizard or provide some kind of response that it is being worked on? I saw this "Closed" issue in the known issues (link at end) where the last few entries are additional people in November 2019 saying they are having the problem and then the discussion is simply closed with no resolution??? Until I finally got fed up with this issue and started posting and looking in the community I "assumed" that it would get fixed since so many other things are getting fixed but they should be (in my opinion) much lower priority because they aren't about losing/corrupting data... The total silence on this issue is odd. https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7736086/paycheck-split-values-are-gone#latest
  • Robert Chiarulli
    Robert Chiarulli Member ✭✭✭
    Ran into the issue today.
This discussion has been closed.