Home Quicken for Windows All Things Canadian (Windows)

Printing out FULL decimal places on investment reports (please help!)

I asked this question once before - but did not get a useful answer.
https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20000542#Comment_20000542

You can NOT change the number of decimal places that will show in reports for exchange rates - it seems to have been hard coded for 2 decimal places for some bizarre reason.

Printing out the exchange rates from currency list is useless as the rate can be overridden in a transaction (and in my case often is)

All I want to do it to check the exchange rates in my investment transactions by exporting them out somehow - but 2 decimal places is useless in forex.

Anyone?
Using Quicken since sometime before the beta test of Quicken 6 for Windows in 1996... B)

Comments

• Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Well at least in the US version of Quicken I can't even see how you can see the exchange rate for a given investment transaction.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • MicroficheMicrofiche Member ✭✭
    Looks like this in the Canadian version in the register.
    Using Quicken since sometime before the beta test of Quicken 6 for Windows in 1996... B)
    Well in the US version you don't get that.

I'm wondering in your case is the security of a currency other than what the account is?

In the US version the security has to be setup as the same currency as the account it will be used in.  As in the above account is set to CAD and when I created a new security it created it in USD, which is my default currency, and then wouldn't let me enter it into the register.  I had to go to the security list and change it to CAD before I could use it in that account.

Given this restriction there is in fact no exchange rate because the account where the cash is coming from and the security are both in the same currency.

I'm guessing that the Canadian version is more flexible and as such the printing problem would only come up in the Canadian version.
    edited July 13
    The problem relates to holding investments in a foreign currency - USD in this case.
    For tax purposes, in Canada we need to report gains and losses in Canadian dollars, based on the settlement date of the transaction. In order to do that properly, you need to enter the exact exchange rate (in this case USDCAD) on that date so that when you run your capital gains report, Quicken can calculate the costs and proceeds using that exchange rate (there is an option to use the transaction exchange rate in the Canadian version of the report)
    So I have a bunch of transactions in a USD account entered with exchange rate x.xxxx and I want to check to ensure that I didn't enter one incorrectly. The exchange rate is entered at 4 or more decimal places - required with higher dollar transactions for accuracy. Seeing 2 decimal places in the report or export is useless.
    I wonder @YingDave can you shed any light on this problem.  (Note it is hard to find a long time Quicken Windows Canadian  users that posts on here and saw YingDave posting on various Quicken Windows Canadian problems, so I thought it might be a good idea to give a shoutout to him.)
    My guess is it is a simple hard-coded value that could be changed, even if they could simply change it to 4 decimal places, I am sure nobody would complain! It seems nobody else even looks at it! :D
    BTW have you submitted this problem using: Help -> Submit a problem
    That is suppose to go directory to the development team.

The more you can get attention on the problem the more likely it will get fixed.
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser, Windows Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    For tax purposes, in Canada we need to report gains and losses in Canadian dollars, based on the settlement date of the transaction. In order to do that properly, you need to enter the exact exchange rate
    This is certainly a valid use case for needing more decimal places.
    I'm not sure how to handle this request; normally we ask a moderator to change these into "ideas" or "enhancements". But with the tiny number of Canadian users active on this site, it probably wouldn't get a lot of votes and would fade into the sunset.
    What to do, what to do?
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • YingDaveYingDave Member ✭✭✭
    Hi @Microfiche, I have not had the need to print many reports out of the investment registers. I have only just skimmed your question after @Chris_QPW pinged me, so I will have to look further. What report are you actually trying to print? The Historical exchange rate table is what you are trying to print? Mine prints all the decimals?

There is the possibility that Windows is doing something in the background. Did you check this conversation - but this is not specifically about exchange rates but worth checking?

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/comment/20104222#Comment_20104222
    Thanks @YingDave but the problem is when printing out / exporting investment transactions and including the transaction exchange rate - not related to the rate table. I have attached 2 screen caps - one of the report and another showing the actual rate in the register. You can see that the actual excharge rate on the Jan 7, 2019 transaction is 1.33010, while the report shows only 1.33.
    Those extra decimal places are essential.
    @Chris_QPW I have tried your suggestion of submitting via Help, Report.
    My gut feeling is that they go into the ether, but I suppose I have only lost 5 minutes of my life! :D I miss the days when you could contact support and talk to someone who actually understood the problems and wasn't just walking you through a script - it is tough being a dinosaur and remembering when things were like that! ;)
    edited July 14
    @Microfiche, I am trying to work out which report you are running. When I run Print account register it just ask for a date range and printout does not include any FEX rates.

In my case running Canadian 2020, I have Australian formats and AUD home currency, so my US security accounts have exchange rate USD back to AUD. weird for most I know but this should not matter. Then when I hit Ctrl+P I get this printout with no FEX rates on it?! Is yours the investment register, or some kind of linked cheque account (which I have never used BTW).
    Reports => Investing => Investment Transactions for any account that is in a different currency. I was running that report for an account that I hold in USD.
    It only shows up in investment accounts.
    Yep finally got it - and yes Quicken is definitely hard coding a round down of FEX rates to 2 decimal places on the report. When exporting data to Excel it is still cut off. I can't see another report as yet, that would cover your requirement...?
    @YingDave - if I could somehow dump out all my investment transactions including the exchange rate to at least 4 decimals, I don't care if it is a new report, they fix the old one, or what they do! Unfortunately, there is no way to export from the data directly or I would do that...
    edited July 15
    How many currencies/shares or line items typically do you need to list out? One possibility is to back calculate your exchange outside in excel, the way I would do it is;

1. Run the report as you would in your home currency. Then export it to Excel label the share price column with the currency used eg. AUD. Ensure "Transaction currency" is ticked so you don't get the most recent average FEX Rate. Delete the column that holds the FEX rate that is exported, just keep prices/amounts.

2. On the same report customise on the first tab change the reported currency to the one your shares are in eg. USD. Ensure "transaction currency" is again ticked. Export the report again to excel and same again delete the FEX Rate column it exports.

3. In Excel ensure they are sorted the same way then cut/paste the new column of prices this time in US$ from the second file, next to the **** in the first file. Then add a column in Excel to the right and calculate the FEX rate again in full decimal places.

You have to add a new column and new amounts for each other currency you are trying to extract of course. Rates should turn out to be very close to those in each transaction, although there will always be small differences? But you have to do it outside of Quicken.

David
    Thanks @YingDave , I have tried that in the past, but when you have small $ transactions the rates aren't easily confirmed that way. e.g. if I have a $15 USD commission fee, you can't tell if the exchange rate is 1.3710 or 1.3716 after rounding - so I would have to end up looking at it manually anyways. Over the years I have tried many workarounds, but when this comes up once a year or so and I have to do a bunch of extra work, I post here again because it is SUCH a simple fix.
    Hey @Microfiche what is your original requirement, what are you doing with report? Some kind of comms with your Tax accountant or something. I have been working / investing / running Quicken for many years and I have never had the need to run that report?
    Hi @YingDave - I do all the ACB tracking of my USD securities.

None of the investment companies I have ever dealt with track the CAD ACB of foreign securities according to CRA rules, which require that you record each transaction in CAD using the exchange rate on the settlement date of related transactions. The investment company I am with currently is the closest to the rules so far, but they use trade date rather than settled date. Particularly this year, a few days can make a huge difference on large trades. Most companies just track in the foreign currency and then give you a report that converts all the values using the current exchange rate - which is useless.

So when I enter transactions in my foreign currency investment accounts, I enter the USDCAD rate based on the Bank of Canada rate for that day. At the end of the period, I would like to run a report to compare those entries to a daily Bank of Canada rate chart to ensure I didn't typo anything. Without a report, I am stuck manually scrolling through each transaction and visually comparing to a printed out sheet of rates.

Yes, there are workarounds that "sort of" work - and that is what I have been doing. But none of them are as exact and as easy as this method should be...
This discussion has been closed.