Can Quicken be fixed to import correctly USD amounts for Paypal transactions in foreign currency?

The Paypal data contain the conversion from foreign to USD. When Quicken imports, the number that is placed in the USD amount column is the foreign currency amount, not the USD amount. When Paypal pulls from my USD credit card or bank account it correctly pulls the USD amount and that's what downloads for that account. So now I have $100 in the Amount in Paypal and $72 in the Amount in Visa, for the same paypal purchase. The $100 is the cost of the item in Canadian dollars. The $72 is the amount that Paypal transferred from my US Visa. If I look at the Paypal transaction history I see the currency conversion line item and can match to the item and manually change the $100 to $72 (and put a memo entry in for the $100 CAD.) That's a pain. Since the data are in the Paypal file, Quicken should be able to get the correct USD amount into paypal by filtering for the USD transactions.

Best Answer

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Hello @rbolmsted,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community with your question.

Unfortunately, as of right now, Quicken for Mac does not have the ability to detect foreign currency and convert it for you.

However, if this is a feature you would like to see added to Quicken in the future, please feel free to create an idea post and add your vote here on the Community. This will also allow other users who have the same or a similar request as you to vote on your idea. 

Let us know if you have any further questions!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    @jacobs, thanks for pointing that out and providing that!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    I will point out one thing.  For the most part Quicken Windows is considered to have "full-fledged multi-currency support" and it won't do what is requested here.  As in it will not convert from one currency to another.

What's more it is a bit of a "misnomer" to say that PayPal has such data and so that Quicken should make use of it.   PayPal accounts are setup with Quicken Connect which is just an agreement between Intuit and PayPal of how Intuit will fetch that data from PayPal.  Since we (the users) have no idea of what data was agreed to be shared we have no idea what is actually being provided.  Plus beside fetching such data the Intuit "scripts" translate that data into QFX format for Quicken to use, and as such it would be up to the Intuit "scripts" written in away to pass this information on, which I can pretty much guarantee isn't the case today.

So this change would also require Intuit being on board with this and making such changes.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • rbolmsted
    rbolmsted Member ✭✭
    Thanks everyone
This discussion has been closed.