Home Before you Buy

How long do you have to stop using Quicken to be considered a new customer?

smzehsmzeh Member
Two related sets of questions:
1. How to not pay 20% more for being a continuing customer vs a new customer.
The subscription renewal price is 20% higher than buying a year of subscription on the Quicken web site. Is there any reason to not just download a new copy? If this is not allowed, how long do you have to leave Quicken to be able to buy at the more reasonable rate?

2. Does Deluxe handle investments?
One of the reasons I want to use the new installation is to get the trial to see if Deluxe will do what I now use in Premier. The descriptions of the product functions between Deluxe and Premier are different on the renewal screen and the new product screen. On the renewal screen it says that Deluxe handles investments. The new product screen says that Premier is needed for investments. Which one is right?

Answers

• Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    #1  I have no idea how long it would be before you are  considered a new customer, but here is some information that might help.  The first is that I doubt that Quicken is using a "database of actual users" to determine "new user".  Instead they are most likely using the "Quicken Id".  As in if you create a new Quicken Id and purchase under that Id most likely you will be treated as "new".  Second most of the time you can beat Quicken.com's "specials" by buying from a retailer like Amazon or CostCo.

#2 Yes the Deluxe version handled investment accounts, what is missing is some of the bells and whistles of the Premier version, like some more "specific" investing/tax reports, X-Ray Portfolio, Zillow estimates, "limited free" bill payments, ...

The comparison charts Quicken.com have always be misleading on the fact trying to get anyone that has investment to buy that edition when in fact there is large percentage of people that use the Deluxe version and have no problem managing their investment with it.  What you definitely don't want is the very crippled Starter edition.
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    A 30 day expiration of the subscription resets a user to "new" status as far as the "deals" on the Quicken.com website.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

This discussion has been closed.