Number of shares difference

My security portfolio shows 116 shares of XYZ. I sold 116 shares of XYZ. Broker confirmation shows 116 shares sold. When I attempt to enter sale in Quicken, it says I only have 115 shares available for sale. This error message is the only place that 115 shows. Any suggestions?

Best Answer

• Howard Osharow
    Howard Osharow Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    After trying your last suggestion and several others, here is what finally worked. Entered a sale of 115 shares and adjusted the selling price so the net proceeds matched the 116 share confirmation from the broker. This left 1share in inventory. Then entered a transaction to “remove shares” and removed the one share that was left. The remove transaction deletes the share and its cost basis without affecting cash. This method solves the problem. It may create a gain/loss error but no matter to me since the transaction was in an IRA.

Answers

• splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you are selling ALL of a stock's holding, don't sell a specific number of shares, sell ALL (check box on transaction window).

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Howard Osharow
    Howard Osharow Member ✭✭
    Thanks for your suggestion. I did as you suggested. When I click in the Sell All box, 116 appears in the number of shares. But when I try to save the transaction, the error message still appears that says I only have 115 to sell.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Thanks for your suggestion. I did as you suggested. When I click in the Sell All box, 116 appears in the number of shares. But when I try to save the transaction, the error message still appears that says I only have 115 to sell.
    Sorry that that didn't solve it.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Try this.  Click on a date in a transaction and type Ctrl+z.  That will have it recalculate all the transactions.  I don't know if it will help, but it is worth a shot.

Another shot at it is:
    File -> File Operations -> Validate & Repair -> select Rebuild investing lots -> OK
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Howard Osharow
    Howard Osharow Member ✭✭
    Thanks for both suggestions. Unfortunately, neither worked. But I think I may understand what is causing the problem. When I look at the three lots included in my 116 shares, they are 66.666667, 12 and 37.333333. While they do add up to 116, I believe the error message is calculating based on the whole integer in the first and third lots and ignoring the decimal. Even if this is the case, I still don't know how to correct for it. Any suggestions are appreciated.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Quicken rounds to 6 digits and you are right on the border for that.
    I would try changing one of the buys for the 37.333333 lot to add in .000001 more shares so that you come out with 37.333334.  That should bump the number up so that it rounds up to the right amount without really affecting anything else like the amount you paid.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Howard Osharow
    Howard Osharow Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    After trying your last suggestion and several others, here is what finally worked. Entered a sale of 115 shares and adjusted the selling price so the net proceeds matched the 116 share confirmation from the broker. This left 1share in inventory. Then entered a transaction to “remove shares” and removed the one share that was left. The remove transaction deletes the share and its cost basis without affecting cash. This method solves the problem. It may create a gain/loss error but no matter to me since the transaction was in an IRA.
This discussion has been closed.