Has anyone recently encountered issues opening Quicken Data Files in Windows 10?

Options
Quicken opens, but when I enter the password to open the data file, I just see the spinning icon and the program stops responding. I noticed that while this is going on, the size of the data file (viewing File Explorer) keeps growing. I've reinstalled the program and restored several backup files and get the same result. I contacted Quicken support, to no avail.

This has been going on for over two weeks now. I'm using Quicken 2020 for Windows, R27.28

Best Answers

Answers

• Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • MarkDamicoSr
    MarkDamicoSr Member ✭✭
    Options
    The data file is in a Quicken directory, within my documents folder. I've also tried copying the data file to the Desktop, with the same result.
    Controlled Folder Access is disabled.
    Not using OneDrive or Dropbox. I do use Google Backup for my Pictures folder.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Options
    Try starting Quicken by holding down the Control key until the Quicken window opens. This starts Quicken without opening a data file.
  • Steven Bartlett
    Steven Bartlett Member ✭✭
    Options
    Having I think the same problem. When I open Quicken it is not bringing up the last saved data file and I am losing information that was just entered the previous day. Restored the data from a file I saved but it keeps switching back to a file that was not recently saved. Crazy. I can't keep it to the correct file because it keeps switching without me doing anything.
  • Greg_the_Geek
    edited July 2020
    Options
    @Steven Bartlett

What is the full path to the folder that contains your Quicken data file on the hard drive? Do you have Controlled Folder Access enabled in Windows Defender? Are you using OneDrive, Dropbox or Google Backup?
  • MarkDamicoSr
    MarkDamicoSr Member ✭✭
    Options
    The data file is in a Quicken directory, within my documents folder. I've also tried copying the data file to the Desktop, with the same result.
    Controlled Folder Access is disabled.
    Not using OneDrive or Dropbox. I do use Google Backup for my Pictures folder.
  • MarkDamicoSr
    MarkDamicoSr Member ✭✭
    Options
    I can open Quicken without opening the data file. The problem arises when I try to open the data file or restore any backup file.
    What could be causing the file to grow when I try to open the file? Seems like some process is running that does not conclude properly.
  • MarkDamicoSr
    MarkDamicoSr Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @"Steven Bartlett" said:
    > Having I think the same problem. When I open Quicken it is not bringing up the last saved data file and I am losing information that was just entered the previous day. Restored the data from a file I saved but it keeps switching back to a file that was not recently saved. Crazy. I can't keep it to the correct file because it keeps switching without me doing anything.

Steve - Seems like a different issue, since I cannot open a data file.
  • MarkDamicoSr
    MarkDamicoSr Member ✭✭
    Options
    > @mshiggins said:
    > (Quote)
    > The file not opening while the file size continues to grow can be caused by a runaway reminder - a reminder that somehow is triggered to enter hundreds of even thousands of times. 
    >
    > The common solution for a runaway reminder is to set the date on your computer to a date prior to when the problem started, then try opening the Quicken file. Once the file opens, look for a repeated transaction caused by the repeatedly entered reminder. Delete and recreate the problem reminder. Then you can set the date on your computer back to the current date and open Quicken as usual. 

@mshiggins -That did the trick! Thank you so much!!
  • MarkDamicoSr
    MarkDamicoSr Member ✭✭
    Options
    @mshiggins - I can open the data file now, but I think the invalid system date causes an issue when I try to sign into Quicken with my Quicken ID (probably because of my subscription?).

After providing the data file password, I briefly see my account list. Then that disappears and I'm prompted to sign into my Quicken account. At that point, a message is displayed saying "Oops! Something went wrong.", and and I'm forced to retry the sign-in. Is there anyway to get around the sign-in? Maybe disconnect the PC from the network?
  • MarkDamicoSr
    MarkDamicoSr Member ✭✭
    Options
    @mshiggins - Must have set the date too far back and was able to bypass the online log in once updated to be only a month back. Looks like the program created approximately 16,000 reminders. I couldn't see where it was set up incorrectly - just a reminder every six months with auto entry three days prior. Anyway - the issue is fixed. Thanks again for your help!
This discussion has been closed.