Does Quicken work w Stripe ? (online payment provider/service)

melissa100
melissa100 Member ✭✭
Will the transactions automatically download like w PayPal, banks, etc? Thanks.

Answers

• UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    The list of supported banks shows
    That seems to indicate, yes, you should be able to add a Checking account to your Quicken data file and download transactions.
    Give it a try and let us know how it works.

• Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    What is.... Stripe ?
    Ahhh.... like Paypal and other online payment providers.
    https://stripe.com/
    The answer appears to be yes - sample attempt to add account

61896    61896    61896    Stripe    https://stripe.com/    NA    https://dashboard.stripe.com/login    ACTIVE                   BANKING,ACCOUNTINFO&EXP-WEB-CONNECT   

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• melissa100
    melissa100 Member ✭✭
    Thank you - will give it a shot. I'm delivering a course and the course software uses it as the only payment method that accepts recurring subscriptions (apparently the Paypal API won't let them use it for recurring, even though you can create buttons that use it). Will try it out today. Thank you.
  • melissa100
    melissa100 Member ✭✭
    FYI for anyone trying this. Stripe does show as an option to Add a Checking Account. But then it won't set up. I waited a few weeks to see if it was a bug or if Quicken would fix it. But at this point, Stripe and Quicken do not connect and transactions have to be entered manually.

As an aside, Stripe said this, "We actually did a considerable research between our resources and found that Quicken is not a third party that is directly connected to us. I also noticed that they do offer some sort of integration with Stripe, but this is managed exclusively by them. For this reason, the best thing to do in this case will be to reach out to them and ask them how the ability to download transactions works and how you can use it with your account. The following links have some helpful information, but if you don't find an exact answer I believe you also have the option to post your question:
    https://community.quicken.com/
    https://www.quicken.com/windows-faq"

So it appears there is no support on either the Quicken or Stripe side for this issue.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Well - what exactly happens when you attempt to Add Account for Stripe ?
    Any error messages or ??
    Also, is there anything within the online Stripe user webpage where you have to allow 3rd party (Quicken) access to your Stripe account ? 
    Also - what about any imposed Two Factor Auth - sending text code to cellphone.
    There could be lots of little speedbumps that get activated when attempting to connect Quicken to an online financial company.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• melissa100
    melissa100 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2020
    When I click "activate one step update" it says, "Sorry we encountered an error. It's not your fault"

I entered my username and password for the Stripe site. That doesn't mean it's the right info for download purposes - but there's no other login info.

I don't have any other details. Stripe keeps trying to get me to switch to [redacted] - apparently they work fine with them.
  • Quicken Hugh
    Quicken Hugh Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    @melissa100
    Yes, you can add Stripe in Quicken (Add account > Checking Account > search for "Stripe"; it comes up as an available Financial Institution) and activate your Stripe account for Online Services, which would then update during a One Step Update.

Perhaps it's a bit small, but I pulled a screen shot from an internal source: Stripe (Stripe.com) is definitely on the list of available FIs.

For the "Sorry we encountered an error message..." If need be, you are welcome to contact support directly for help adding your Stripe account.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    When I click "activate one step update" it says,
    "Sorry we encountered an error. It's not your fault"
    You should then try and resolve this error -
    as a normal error in the scheme of things, as there are other postings rregarding this specific error message.

QWin - R54.16 - Win10

• melissa100
    melissa100 Member ✭✭
    Just wasted an hour with online support. Useless and a waste of time.

Bottom line, Quicken doesn't work with Stripe. Quicken blames them. They blame Quicken. Customer of both gets screwed.
  • Thomas Swidler
    Thomas Swidler Member ✭✭✭
    Here is what I get from stripe:
    Best way to find out is to contact Quicken - they will also the one to initiate the integration if they support Stripe. Here at Stripe, we cannot give you the answer in their behalf. I apologize.

So Quicken chime in this discussion and let us know if you suport them yes or no and if you will try to do so.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
     In my opinion the reason why this is such a hard question to answer is because of all the third parties involved.

If you look at the comments were people have posted what support Quicken has for stripe you will see that  it is express web connect.
    This means that Quicken is connecting to Intuit servers which in turn talk to either the financial institutions website or another aggregator .
     The other aggregator I am talking about other than  The intuit servers is one that might service lots of financial institutions.
    There are a lot of financial institutions that don’t want to handle this kind of information or even their website sometimes and they pay third parties to do it for them. So when  went Inuit  goes to make this kind of connection they go and try to find out whoever supports getting the information from that financial institution and make an agreement with them on how to transfer the data.

So based on what we see in the financial institution listing for express web connect there is such  an agreement.

But when something goes wrong quick and customers go to quicken support which then has to go to Intuit support which may have to go to the third-party aggregator whatever blah blah blah blah as you can see there can be a lot of finger-pointing here.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Thomas Swidler
    > @Chris_QPW said:
    >  In my opinion the reason why this is such a hard question to answer is because of all the third parties involved.
    > If you look at the comments were people have posted what support Quicken has for stripe you will see that  it is express web connect.This means that Quicken is connecting to Intuit servers which in turn talk to either the financial institutions website or another aggregator . The other aggregator I am talking about other than  The intuit servers is one that might service lots of financial institutions.There are a lot of financial institutions that don’t want to handle this kind of information or even their website sometimes and they pay third parties to do it for them. So when  went Inuit  goes to make this kind of connection they go and try to find out whoever supports getting the information from that financial institution and make an agreement with them on how to transfer the data.
    > So based on what we see in the financial institution listing for express web connect there is such  an agreement.
    >
    > But when something goes wrong quick and customers go to quicken support which then has to go to Intuit support which may have to go to the third-party aggregator whatever blah blah blah blah as you can see there can be a lot of finger-pointing here.

Chris (like maybe you) I am 30 year veteran with Quicken and I know how these connections work. I also know that they often fail with PayPal and get fixed. But as a customer do we really care? Quicken offers stripe as an option to connect to and it does not work providing an error message "that it is not our fault". So the engineers at Quicken have to work on that. It is easy to duplicate (basically works for no one) and they can communicate with any third party they like.
  • Thomas Swidler
    Anyone can recommend a different merchant account than PayPal which:
    a) works without a hick up connecting with quicken
    b) downloads each transaction on quicken not just daily dumps
    c) integrates with WooComerce e-commerce web-sites

I used PayPal for over 20 years but it still likes to entice/confuse customers which just want to pay with a credit card rather than a PayPal account. (they don't make it easy not to use PayPal and a CC instead). Also I was surprised when my e-commerce payment system was taken down (limited account) by PayPal because they objected/where confused by a product you can buy at a grocery store. They did so automatically without notifying me and for a long weekend before I could reach the "COVID stay at home" tech support I was out of business.

In short I want to implement another payment option with my e-commerce sites but have a need to have accurate accounting.

Thanks,
    Thomas
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    @Thomas Swidler I'm not only a veteran Quicken user, I'm also a veteran programmer, and all I can say about such a system is that there isn't any way that anyone can make such a system trouble free.  I do believe that it could be "better", but seems to me that Intuit is one of the biggest stumbling blocks and short of getting rid of them entirely I don't know what Quicken Inc can really do about it.  And just like your problem with PayPal and other such services there isn't a lot of choices out their for Quicken Inc for such a service not to mention the work involve and the trouble to the users if they decided to switch.

I have used PayPal for a very small business and when they work they "OK", but if anything goes wrong, and their policies...  Not so good.

I don't have any experience with any other services, so I can't really recommend any, but frankly I think there isn't a very good chance that any of them will work well with Quicken.  And I don't believe it will get better in the future, in fact I believe it will get worse because Quicken going to QCS for Express Web Connect (see this link):
    https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7882641/qcs-express-web-connect-is-cloud-sync

For Quicken to have a chance at a really reliable connection I believe the financial institution has to support Direct Connect/OFX.  But that means setting up an OFX server.  This highly unlikely to happen for any of these business payment systems.
    And so any support is Express Web Connect with whatever agreement Intuit works out with the business payment system of your choice.

I hope that I'm wrong, but so far this has been what has happened.
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
  • Thomas Swidler
    After several forward and backwards, chats and finger pointing using a considerable amount of my time I received the following email:

"Thank you for reaching out today and it was lovely speaking with you. I understand you are checking if Quicken automated downloads works with Stripe as this is a crucial part of your business. Let me shed you some light on this.

We actually did a considerable research between our resources and found that Quicken is not a third party that is directly connected to us. I also noticed that they do offer some sort of integration with Stripe, but this is managed exclusively by them. For this reason, the best thing to do in this case will be to reach out to them and ask them how the ability to download transactions works and how you can use it with your account. The following links have some helpful information, but if you don't find an exact answer I believe you also have the option to post your question:

https://community.quicken.com/
    https://www.quicken.com/windows-faq

However, I believe you are looking for an accounting software that can be integrated with Stripe, we have several options of partners that easily integrate to your Stripe account for this purpose. You can find a comprehensive list on the below link:

https://stripe.com/en-se/partners/apps-and-extensions?n=accounting

I would personally suggest using QuickBooks, it has many useful features such as a duplicated transaction detector and I've seen a big number of Stripe users choosing them for their accounting needs. In the link below you can see more information about it:

https://stripe.com/partners/business-payments

Please let me know if there is anything else we can do for you, I know directing you to some other place is not the ideal scenario but in this case they do have the specific information to help you.

Kind regards,
    Grace"

When I find some time in my busy schedule I will use my resources to contact Quicken at the Executive (CTO) level and let them know what kind of Quicken customer support I have experienced in a technical matter like this.
  • ernienet
    ernienet Member ✭✭
    I hope the people at Quicken are reading these messages and prioritizing their updates and customer requests accordingly.

It seems that reliable functionality with all the major financial institutions and services is necessary for Quicken to remain viable.

If they can't fix these kinds of issues promptly - or be ahead of them - maybe they should focus on a delimited (from Excel) means for users to create a file from the non-supported FI reporting and upload it.

This would be acceptable to some of us who simply want to avoid hand-typing every transaction into our Quicken registers.
This discussion has been closed.