Home Quicken for Mac Errors and Troubleshooting (Mac)

Cannot match transactions; credit card downloads are duplicated (Q Mac)

CyborgOneCyborgOne Member ✭✭
It is expected that a user can drag-and-drop a downloaded transaction on top of a manually-entered one (or vice-versa) in order to match them, as described here:
https://www.quicken.com/support/match-downloaded-transactions-manually-entered-ones

However, in many cases, this action does NOT actually work. Reference: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7871269/cannot-match-downloaded-transactions-with-manual-entries … and similar.

The instructions provided in these cases, is to choose "Unmatch" from the contextual menu, which will reset the match, allowing it to be performed again. But in my case, even this didn't work: The "Match Status" column for these indicated that BOTH of the transactions (which are essentially identical, and are obviously duplicates of one another) were both "downloaded" - which cannot be correct: My credit card only shows a single entry for this vendor + amount + date, even though Quicken decided to create two entries upon performing the online update. And, while one of these was matched to a previously-manually-entered transaction, the other is left as a "separate" transaction, and is disallowed from being further matched.

See enclosed screenshot, and note that all 3 (well, 6) Costco transactions, the Real Produce transaction(s), and the Safeway transaction(s), have direct duplicates - but all are considered "downloaded", so cannot be further matched to one other.

The only solution I have been able to pursue in these cases, is to manually update one of the entries with any missing data from the other (split categories, notes, etc.), then manually delete that secondary transaction - confirming when presented with the "This transaction was downloaded. Are you sure you want to delete it?" prompt.

First off: Why is the download process now so problematic, resulting in duplicate downloads for some transactions? Beyond any matching-to-other-transaction issues, this always results in discrepancies when trying to reconcile; the integrity of the downloaded data should be ensured much more clearly.

But in addition, it would be very helpful if Quicken were to allow us to more-directly resolve these issues by allowing us to manually perform such destructive behaviors, if desired - i.e. don't second-guess that because the app (incorrectly!) logged two different entries for the same actual transaction, that we should never be allowed to resolve this issue via the expected drag-and-drop action.

And, note that this issue has continued to recur repeatedly. I've deactivated downloads for the associated Credit Card account, fixed the matches manually, then re-activated downloads - but at some point later on, such duplicate downloads invariably occur again, causing such discrepancies to become evident once more.

Finally, note that I never remember this being an issue in previous standalone versions of Quicken (e.g. QMac 2017). Is it a new issue/limitation, introduced with the subscription version, or perhaps a later update?

Comments

• Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @CyborgOne

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

A transaction may only be matched if one of the transactions is a manual transaction and the other transaction is downloaded.

The above transactions may be matched as one is a manual entry. If two transactions are downloaded transactions, these may not be matched. Unfortunately, I cannot speak as to why it so that downloaded transactions may not be matched, at this time is not available to do so.

If you haven't already, I would consider creating an Idea post so that others may vote to add this functionally added/changed. 

https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7849425/creating-and-voting-for-ideas-in-the-community#latest

If you are still needing assistance with duplicate transactions, please take a moment to review the steps and information provided here.

If the trouble persists and this is an ongoing issue, please contact support directly for advanced troubleshooting and possible escalation.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

-Quicken Tyka
  • CyborgOneCyborgOne Member ✭✭
    Thanks, Tyka.

Understood that if both are already downloaded, I would not be able to manually drag them together to match. But, perhaps that's the issue: I complete online updates against these (usually, credit card) accounts periodically, and often seem to wind up with *multiple* transaction records for what are the same actual transaction. I know I wasn't charged twice for this payment, and so this seems that it is actually a Quicken issue, in how it fails to reliably maintain a record of which transactions are downloaded vs. not.

See screenshot: Each of these Safeway transactions (one on 7/09 for $31.18, one a week later for $23.42) were entered manually, then the actual transaction was downloaded - leading to the "Matched (auto)" indication. HOWEVER, at some point in the recent past, they were both downloaded by Quicken AGAIN - leading to the separate "Downloaded" status for these duplicates. I did not reset my online credentials, or otherwise do any "troubleshooting" steps within Quicken, so do not know why such transactions would come across twice.

This has happened a handful of times over the past few months - which is why I'm bringing it up now. I don't remember this being an issue for prior versions of Quicken (e.g. Mac 2017) at all, so am worried that this is a new regression.

As far as contacting support: I've tried that, and the individual there I spoke with indicated that she was unaware of any ability to match transactions at all (!); I described my "drag one on top of the other" approach, and she replied that she was thoroughly unfamiliar with this at all (!!). So, this was quite a frustrating waste of time for me. If I could actually get hold of someone who was aware of the capabilities of the program (as you obviously are), and could specifically help troubleshoot what is happening in this instance, it would be great - but I don't want to wait on hold for another 1.5 hours just to reach someone who doesn't actually know how the program works.

Your thoughts on what might be happening, and how best to continue to work to resolve matters? Do you know of a "secondary tier" of support which I could contact directly, in order to reach more-knowledgable support staff, and thereby be more helpful with such issues?

THANKS for your details so far - and for all the posts I see that you've completed to benefit other users here in the Community! Looking forward to more information, to help me resolve.
  • CyborgOneCyborgOne Member ✭✭
    ** Separate question: Is there a way that I can be notified of responses to these Community questions, directly? I happened to be thinking of this issue (encountered again today), logged in to check the status of my post here, and saw your response - but don't remember there being any other notification to me (e.g. email) regarding such a reply.

Instead of me just checking https://community.quicken.com/profile/notifications periodically, is there some kind of account preference to "Send me an email when someone replies to my post" or similar?
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @CyborgOne

Thank you for the response and additional details, although I apologize that support was unable to assist. Were you provided a ticket number by the agent so that I may review the interaction further?

Duplicate transactions typically occur if an account has been deactivated and reactivated.

This can also occur if the financial institution has changed the format for returning the Financial Institution Transaction ID (FITID). This can be checked by navigating to columns and choosing (FITID) and comparing the numbers and see if there has been a change in the format. A genuine duplicate will also have this same number and how the duplication is occurring.

The second example is less common and typically affects anyone using that financial institution as well. 

To be notified of any updates or comments on a thread, one can either go to the top and click the gold star to bookmark the thread. You may also leave a comment and this will notify you and any comments or updates added to the thread.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
This discussion has been closed.