Problem downloading transaction from Schwab

Options
Hi,

I have a problem downloading transactions for last month or so. It was working before, now it does not. I got error OL-293-A, and follow the instruction here https://www.quicken.com/support/error-when-using-quicken-online-services-ol-293-or-ol-294 but still have a problem. I also contacted Schwab they say they don't have any problem from their side and contact quicken.

I have tried following:
1. Change password in schwab
2. make sure enable thrid party access in security in Schwab.
3. following instruction in above link

Please help.

Best Answers

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hi @Umesh Patel,

It seems as though other Schwab users are having similar problems lately as well.  Take a look at this message thread LINK.  About 2weeks ago, users indicated that their current IP address had been blocked by Schwab.  Do you know whether, when you talked to Schwab, they checked whether your IP address was being Blocked?  If not, you may want to contact them again and ask that question.

Let us know how that goes.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Umesh Patel
    Umesh Patel Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Yes, I saw that post and I called to see if IP address is blocked, they said that if you can login from your browser then it is not blocked, since I am not using any VPN. They also said that, Quicken use OFX channel and there is no ip address related to me to block.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    Options
    @Umesh Patel - It sounds like the person at Schwab you talked with was someone who doesn't know much about Quicken.  Direct Connect connects to FIs differently than how we do it when we log in to online account with a browser.  I think you should contact them again and ask to speak with someone in Technical Support.
    But before you do that you might want to try the following steps to see if either one fixes your connection issue:
    1)  Reset Account (Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Edit Account Details > Online Services tab > Reset Account).
    2)  If Reset Account doesn't work: 
    • Backup your data file in case something goes wrong.
    • Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Edit Account Details > Online Services tab > Deactivate > General tab > remove all Financial Institution in the upper right quadrant > Online Services tab > Set Up Now.
    • This will take you through the Add Account set up process.  Follow the prompts. 
    • During this process, Quicken will likely ask you what to do with the information downloaded from Schwab...be sure to select "Link..." and your select your Schwab account already in Quicken or Quicken will create a new account for it.
    • This process might also enter some transactions into your register that are duplicates of what is already there.  These duplicate transactions will need to be manually deleted.
    I've found that one of these two steps will often fix OL-293-A issues for me.  If not, then you should contact Schwab, again.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• Umesh Patel
    Umesh Patel Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    > @Boatnmaniac said:
    > @Umesh Patel - It sounds like the person at Schwab you talked
    > with was someone who doesn't know much about Quicken.  Direct Connect
    > connects to FIs differently than how we do it when we log in to online
    > account with a browser.  I think you should contact them again and ask
    > to speak with someone in Technical Support.But before you do that you might want to try the following steps to see if either one fixes your connection issue:1)  Reset Account (Account Register > upper right Gear icon > Edit Account Details > Online Services tab > Reset Account).
    > 2)  If Reset Account doesn't work: 
    > * Backup your data file in case something goes wrong.
    > * Account
    > Register > upper right Gear icon > Edit Account Details >
    > Online Services tab > Deactivate > General tab > remove all
    > Financial Institution in the upper right quadrant > Online Services
    > tab > Set Up Now.
    > * This will take you through the Add Account set up process.  Follow the prompts. 
    >
    > * During
    > this process, Quicken will likely ask you what to do with the
    > information downloaded from Schwab...be sure to select "Link..." and
    > your select your Schwab account already in Quicken or Quicken will
    > create a new account for it.
    > * This process might also enter some
    > transactions into your register that are duplicates of what is already
    > there.  These duplicate transactions will need to be manually deleted.
    >
    > I've found that one of these two steps will often fix OL-293-A issues for me.  If not, then you should contact Schwab, again.

Thanks for the response, I appreciate it.

Option 1. I don't have that option since, I already tried option 2. i.e deactivate to setup again. But now give the same error message.

Upon checking on Schwab, their security center has option to third party access, I also make sure it is enabled.

See below they mention in their website about third party access.

Third-Party Access and Your Account

Schwab uses the OFX (Open Financial Exchange) protocol to exchange financial information with other websites and programs. This protocol enables some third parties, like a financial management site or online tax preparation program that you use, to access your account.
    If you have provided your Schwab login credentials to third parties, this protocol might already be in use. Access is enabled with your login ID and password alone, even if you have activated a token or other two-factor authentication method.
    We now offer you the ability to enable or disable this protocol and control certain third-party access to your account.
    If you use this feature, we'll remind you periodically that it's enabled. If you are new to using a third-party site that uses OFX, you will need to enable this protocol. Disabling the protocol is important if the third party is compromised.
  • Umesh Patel
    Umesh Patel Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks again, I tried that and it gives same problem. So I called Schwab again today and they ask about IP address which was blocked. He submitted a request to unblock it so that could be this issue. They also said sometimes special character in password make those issue. I will check back tomorrow again. Thanks!
  • Umesh Patel
    Umesh Patel Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I was able to connect to schwab after unblock IP. Thanks for the help.
  • Bmore
    Bmore Member ✭✭
    Options
    Glad for these suggestions.
This discussion has been closed.