How can I fix my Reconcile starting balance?

I can't fix the input error for my checking account so Quicken keeps making balance adjustments. I've tried to correct the original balance, but Quicken won't have it. I'm on the verge of restoring a mid-April backup to get around this, but that means re-entering 3 months' worth of transactions. This shouldn't be so hard!
Tagged:

Comments

• GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    SusannaMV said:
    I've tried to correct the original balance, but Quicken won't have it.
    Unless your data file is corrupt, there is no reason you cannot change a value in the register to any appropriate value. What have you attempted that does not work?
    For the record, you should never use balance adjustments. An account is not reconciled if the register contains an adjustment other than the opening balance.

user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 21H1
  • SusannaMV
    SusannaMV Member
    Thanks much for your quick response! What I've done (several times) is input the correct opening balance from my bank statement, but Quicken keeps switching it back to the old (wrong) one. This means reconciliation is always off. I hate the balance adjustments! I just want to correct the opening balance. I've gone back to the previous month to try to correct that, but it doesn't work either.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    It sounds as if you are trying to overwrite the beginning balance for reconcile, Quicken will not allow this as the value comes from your register entries. The correction needs to be made in the account register. Assuming a checking account, you would need to make the correction from the first line of the register - Opening Balance (assuming your issue goes to the beginning of you using Quicken or this account. From there, you would need to delete every balance adjustment accepted from previous "reconciles", then re-reconcile each month.
    That would be the "right" way to correct your out of balance issue. You can take a shortcut and simply make a one-time correction (another word for balance adjustment) to force the beginning balance for the reconcile time period to agree with the bank statement, but this is not an advisable method.
    user since '92 | Quicken Windows Premier - Subscription | Windows 10 Pro version 21H1
  • SusannaMV
    SusannaMV Member
    I did that for one month -- unreconciled all the entries for one month then reconciled them again. Quicken still wouldn't let me enter the correct opening balance. The balance adjustment thing isn't even fixing the problem: when I entered the opening balance from my most recent statement, it kept defaulting to the wrong one. I'll try to go back two months. I know the April statement was fine, so I'm thinking of restoring my late-April backup and re-entering everything since then (yecchh), but first I'll try unreconciling back that far. I've been using Quicken successfully since 1999 and never had this problem before. Again, thanks for your help.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited July 2020
    SusannaMV said:  I'm on the verge of restoring a mid-April backup to get around this, but that means re-entering 3 months' worth of transactions.
    Are you entering all these transactions manually -
    and then doing the Reconcile against this manually entered account balance ?
    No online downloading of transactions via OSU or downloaded from the bank website ?

Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • SusannaMV
    SusannaMV Member
    Yes, I enter them all manually. When I reconcile, I find out whether I missed anything or got any figures wrong, and once I fix anything that needs fixing, my account always reconciles to the penny. Until now.
  • GeoffG
    GeoffG SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you validated your file recently?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @SusannaMV

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue. I see that this post is a bit older but I was curious if you were able to ever resolve this issue?

Were you able to validate the file as recommend by GeoffG?

To validate: File menu > File Operations > Validate & Repair option.

In the Validate File window that opens, click the top box to "validate file" and then click OK.

When the validation completes, a data log will open in Notepad, please let us know if any errors or issues are found/repaired, and when ready close and re-open Quicken.

Please let us know where you are at!

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • SusannaMV
    SusannaMV Member
    It was never resolved. I restored a backup file from before the problem started and re-entered two months' worth of transactions. I'm now keeping a much closer eye on the "starting balance" figure when I reconcile. I trust Quicken a little less than I used to!
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @SusannaMV

Thank you for the response and for providing the steps you ended up taking.

Please let us know if you see this issue reappear in the backup file that you are currently working with.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
This discussion has been closed.