Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)

Lake Michigan Credit Union prompts for access key and errors CC-506, OL-221-A

When attempting to update my LMCU account, I am prompted for an access key every. single. time... After acquiring the key and entering it, sometimes it acts like it was updated and returns to the account register, other times it returns an error of CC-506 or OL-221-A. I have validated and repaired my files, I have deactivated and reactivated my account, and I have added a new account. All with the same results. This has been going on for approximately one week. The only way I am able to update my transactions is to download it directly from the LMCO website. When I log in to the LMCU website I am NOT prompted for an access key. This only occurs in quicken. Any help would be appreciated.

Comments

• Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Hello @Gunmucker

Thank you for taking the time to report this error to the community, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

If you haven't already, please review the information and steps available here and let us know if this helps to resolve the CC-506 error being received.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • GunmuckerGunmucker Member ✭✭
    Yes, I have tried this several times. While looking for my accounts, I am prompted to select a method to be contacted with a security code, I select a method, receive the code, enter the code, and this repeats several times. Eventually it finds the accounts and I am able to link them. I can then go through the security code process repeatedly each time I attempt to update. Sometimes, it says it successfully updated, but no transactions whatsoever are downloaded. Other times, I get an error code or the "it's not your fault" message. Every time, however, nothing is ever downloaded.
  • Quicken SarahQuicken Sarah Administrator, Moderator mod
    Hello @Gunmucker

Thank you for confirming that these steps have already been taken.  Since the error persists, we will need to look a little deeper into the matter and review the internal communications between Quicken and the financial institution servers to determine the root cause of this behavior.

Please go to the Help menu in Quicken and select "Report a Problem" from the menu.

In the window that opens, enter "Attn: Sarah, CC-506" in the subject line, mark the boxes for each file listed and click Send to Quicken.

Once sent, please just reply here to let me know so I can retrieve the report from the system.

Thank you again,

Sarah

Files have been sent to your attention.
  • StudpupStudpup Windows Beta Beta
    The daily 2FA is happening to me too, and I used to have similar problem. My -guess- is Quicken OSU is asking for the code, gets busy doing other updates, and doesn't respond back to LMCU soon enough, and the connection times out and download fails. Try removing lmcu from osu and doing it all by itself. Works fine then.
  • infospongeinfosponge Member
    In mid-July 2020 I began experiencing the problem that a two-step verification is required at every One Step Update using Quicken. It is NOT required using any other method of logging into LMCU. LMCU perceives a security risk during the interactions with Quicken. Today, 8/10/202, is the most recent of one interaction with LMCU and four interactions with Quicken. The LMCU team explained weeks ago that they had worked with Quicken to find a solution that work for any session but does not necessarily work the next day. Today I experienced this problem when logging in in the morning. On the phone with a Quicken tech, I could not repeat the problem. The problem is a pop-up requiring me to call or message the LMCU to send me a 2nd level login code. But, it is evidenced every morning at my first login. I pay Quicken for premium support but I cannot successfully escalate this to a higher level where I hope to find someone with the authority to initiate a new conversation between LMCU and Quicken.
  • m_kasperm_kasper Member ✭✭
    edited August 21
    One more user with the exact same problem. It appears quicken is not maintaining a cookie across sessions allowing LMCU to "remember" the device. Besides this problem being EXTREMELY annoying, I chose to pay the "subscription fee" exclusively for the ability to one step update -[Removed-Off Topic/Inaccurate]

edited August 31
    [removed self-referencing link]

Why was this discussion closed when the problem still persists without a solution?
  • chriskaychriskay Member ✭✭
    I'm still having the 2FA problem and we're almost to October 2020...Soon my beard will be as white as the driven snow..

Studpup's "Try removing lmcu from osu and doing it all by itself. Works fine then." does not actually update; you have to manually go to the account to update and you still get the second layer authentication request.
  • StudpupStudpup Windows Beta Beta
    chriskay said:
    I'm still having the 2FA problem and we're almost to October 2020...Soon my beard will be as white as the driven snow..

Studpup's "Try removing lmcu from osu and doing it all by itself. Works fine then." does not actually update; you have to manually go to the account to update and you still get the second layer authentication request.
    Yes, it does prompt you for the token code, but when you enter it, the download is successful. I had mixed luck when my 2FA banks were mixed in a big OSU, sometimes even after I enter the code, it wouldn't download. 

Now I have a three of financial institutions that demand 2FA authentication EVERY time. What's the long term plan as more banks implement this? 
    The 2FA only happens in quicken. Outside of Quicken, I can log in to my LMCU account without having to do the access code nonsense every time.
  • chriskaychriskay Member ✭✭
    > @Studpup said:
    > (Quote)
    > Yes, it does prompt you for the token code, but when you enter it, the download is successful. I had mixed luck when my 2FA banks were mixed in a big OSU, sometimes even after I enter the code, it wouldn't download. 
    >
    > Now I have a three of financial institutions that demand 2FA authentication EVERY time. What's the long term plan as more banks implement this? 

Yes, it will update after the 2FA is initiated, it is just a laborious process having to go through my account and my wife's separately. It should be set to once a month, maybe, once it identifies the device. I also use Quicken mobile and after the initial 2FA with the app, I have not had more requests. But, I'm not sure it is actually handshaking, either.
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello all,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report your issue with  LMCU, although I apologize for any frustration that this change to a 2-factor authentication has caused.

If this now a requirement by the financial institution, unfortunately, there is no escalation path to have this removed on Quicken's end. In regards to why a financial institution may move to an MFA protocol, please see the details below.

As a defense against phishing attacks and other online scams, the Federal Financial Institutions Examination Council (FFIEC) has released guidelines that required financial institutions to strengthen their customer authentication measures for Internet banking transactions. As a result, many financial institutions are requiring identity verification beyond a customer ID and password when customers request online account access. This additional information is sometimes called multi-factor authentication, of MFA.

https://www.quicken.com/support/provide-additional-authentication-requested-my-financial-institution

I hope this clarifies and I apologize for the inconvenience. 
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~