Home Quicken for Windows Errors and Troubleshooting (Windows)

Very slow Quicken display refresh

Q Deluxe 2020, R27.42. Very slow to display existing data. Switching from one account display to another takes 5-10 seconds with spinning wheel. Simply resizing the Q window itself [= grab and drag one corner] is very slow, Q struggles re-painting the content]. When opening a file, it completely blanks and repaints the window 3 times.
File is validated, nothing wrong with it. Previous Q versions were as nimble and quick to display as all my other Windows 10 applications [= nothing wrong with my computer or with my other applications].
This is NOT about OSU or downloading transactions, etc. Struggling to display the data it already has, means this Q has some built-in display problems which may be related to other performance problems as well.
Anyone else observes my symptoms? Is the Q engineering team seriously looking into this?

Comments

• Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    edited August 2
    Hello @Gershon Shamay

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

If you haven't done so already, I would start by taking a moment to review the steps and information available here.

Unfortunately, without troubleshooting to locate the underlying cause of the performance issues, I am unable to answer if what you are experiencing is a known issue.

Please post back to let us know the results as well as any error messages or any details that could help identify the cause of what you are experiencing.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka
    -Quicken Tyka
  • Rocket J SquirrelRocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Simply resizing the Q window itself [= grab and drag one corner] is very slow, Q struggles re-painting the content]. When opening a file, it completely blanks and repaints the window 3 times.
    Previous Q versions were as nimble and quick to display as all my other Windows 10 applications [= nothing wrong with my computer or with my other applications].
    I have observed this display slowness for years. I'm surprised you are encountering it for the first time. Did you recently change anything - e.g., hardware, operating system, display driver - on your computer? Believe it or not, Q got faster when I upgraded my 10-year-old Dell laptop to an Asus gaming laptop. But I still see the triple repaint when opening a file, including when returning from a manual backup.
    Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Premier Subscription on Win10 Pro.
  • adolcaradolcar Member
    I also noticed a painful slowness in my Quicken Windows subscription. I reinstalled, ran all the file validate, and followed the troubleshooting 101 instructions with no improvement at all until I found a potential solution that radically improved the performance, and it is related to limiting the days to display the data. For instance:

- In the Bill & Income, changed to "Due in 14 Days" from "Due in 12 months"
    - For accounts, select "Last 30 Days", instead of "All Dates"

It looks like a pagination issue in the software (retrieving all the data, instead of paginating and fetching a certain number of records at a time), and I noticed that performance issues in the latest updates (I am not following the versioning). This was not happening before, but this is the workaround that I found and I am glad that I can use again the software.
  • Gershon ShamayGershon Shamay Member ✭✭
    > @Rocket J Squirrel said:
    > (Quote)
    > I have observed this display slowness for years. I'm surprised you are encountering it for the first time. Did you recently change anything - e.g., hardware, operating system, display driver - on your computer?

Yes. I switched from Windows 7 (where Q behaved beautifully) to Windows 10 (where the same Q display performance slowed down as described above).
  • Gershon ShamayGershon Shamay Member ✭✭
    > @Quicken_Tyka said:
    > Hello @Gershon Shamay
    >
    > Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.
    >
    > If you haven't done so already, I would start by taking a moment to review the steps and information available here.
    >
    > Unfortunately, without troubleshooting to locate the underlying cause of the performance issues, I am unable to answer if what you are experiencing is a known issue.

The suggested steps did not change anything. We need to focus on a key question: why is Q struggling so much to simply resize its own window? Resizing a window is performed by the underlying Windows platform, if you only let it. It appears Q is - slowly - refreshing the window display itself. All other programs on my PC resize / refresh their windows very fast and consistently. Ignore any other reasons for possible slowness - what is on the screen is already on the screen, I should be able to resize it quickly.
  • UKRUKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

If you haven't rebooted Windows since the installation of the latest Quicken update, please do that first and try Quicken again.

Font size problems? Display issues? (Windows)

If you are using a version of Quicken at the Quicken 2019 US R 19.44 patch level or newer and you have previously made the following Compatibility change, please undo the change.
    Users of other Quicken versions please try the following:

• Close Quicken !!! (This process won't work while Quicken is running!)
    • Check the Compatibility tab settings in your Quicken Desktop program icon:
    • In the Windows Start Menu right-click the Quicken icon. Select "Open File Location". This brings up a Windows File Explorer window. Right-click the highlighted Quicken shortcut line item.
      or
    • Go to the traditional Windows Desktop and right-click the Quicken program icon.
    • Now click Properties.
    • Select the Compatibility tab.
    • Uncheck all settings.
    • Windows 7, 8.1: Check "Disable display scaling on high DPI settings". 
      Windows 10:  Check "Override high DPI scaling behavior. Scaling performed by:" and select "Application"  (also try the other available options repeating the entire procedure!)
    • Be sure to uncheck the "Run this program in compatibility mode for [older Windows version]" setting.
    • Click the "Change settings for all users" button.
    • Click Apply and exit.
    • Now start Quicken and see if that makes a difference.

Some additional tuning suggestions:

• Unless absolutely required, try not to use "View / Use large fonts"
    • Try setting the bank account registers to use a different font style or size: go to Edit / Preferences / Register, click the Fonts button and try different fonts.
    • Try adjusting the bank account registers' row height: go to Edit / Preferences / Register, choose among the available Row Height choices: Compact, Comfortable or Standard
    • If all else fails, try changing Windows Control Panel / Display options for "Make text and other items … smaller or larger" to use a different scaling level.

This discussion has been closed.