Unable to create graphs from reports (Q Mac)

ctrifoso
ctrifoso Member
After upgrading to 5.17.2, I am no longer able to create graphs from the custom reports. I opened a support ticket and they still have no timeline for when this will be fixed. At this point, my old quicken 2007 provides more features than this new one. Also encountered data corruption during the migration. Big regret in upgrading. Very disappointed in the lack of quality and support for Quicken for Mac.

Best Answer

Answers

• ctrifoso
    ctrifoso Member
    In Quicken 2007 there were about 10 standard graph reports that you could customize. I used those a lot. You could customize the Insights view with several different graphs -- income vs expenses, net worth, etc. This new version doesn't have anything like that. The home page changed after my recent upgrade from an net worth view to a spending and expenses view, which I find useless. The home page should be customizable like the older 2007 was.
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    It's always interesting seeing how we all use Quicken differently. I've used Quicken for 3+ decades, and I never used the graphs in Quicken 2007 and its predecessors, nor a home page, while for you, they were very important features. 

When the re-written Quicken Mac came out in 2014, it initially had very poor reporting capabilities simply because the developers had bigger issues to tackle. (There was no budgeting. No mortgages. And other big missing pieces.) A few years later, the developers began work on writing a new reports engine and interface. There's been ongoing and significant progress for the past three years -- albeit at a much slower pace than anyone would wish. As I mentioned above, there haven't been a lot of users here pushing for graphs, so it's a lower priority on the developers' roadmap. There's no way to know what they plan for the future, nor when. Same for a customizable home page; there have been more people asking for that, and it's marked as "under consideration", so it may come somewhere in the future. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • ctrifoso
    ctrifoso Member
    It was so disappointing to see the net worth home page go away with the last 5.17.2 patch upgrade. Reverting to a pre-upgrade backup did not restore it. It was a comprehensive dashboard view of everything being tracked in Quicken. A nice update to the Insights view in Quicken Mac 2007. I miss the 2007 feature sets that went away.
  • jacobs
    @ctrifoso  As I mentioned, I don't use the Home page, but I was surprised that you reported it changed drastically, so I went back and fired up a copy of Quicken 2017. I found the Home page looks much the same as the current Home page. Even back in the 2017 version, it was not a "net worth view"; it had the three spending graphs at the top, bill reminders, and a budget summary -- just like the current version. Are you sure you weren't referring to the old Accounts Summary report? Prior to the latest update, reports lived in the main window, so you could always open to that; in the current version, the Accounts Summary report still exists, but it will open in a separate window if you open it. (And if you drag this report slightly to the side of the main window, it will open there every time you launch Quicken.)
  • ctrifoso
    ctrifoso Member
    I mentioned features in Quicken 2007 -- really old, but the graphs were useful to me. I recently upgraded from Quicken 2007 to this latest version. A steep learning curve and unfortunately corrupt data from the upgrade requiring a lot of data re-entry. However, thank you SO much for pointing out the Accounts Summary report -- that is exactly what I was looking for! Like I said -- still learning and exploring the new version. Disappointing that support couldn't figure that out when I contacted them. I still would really like to see the ability to create graphs from the reports feature.
  • Have to say as a long time user of quicken w/ windows and now quicken for Mac....how can there be no graphs or charts. You can't really be saying export your data to excel? The dev. team needs to hippty hop on this issue.
  • jacobs
    edited September 2020
    @gmastoras "  The developers have had a list of hundreds of features users want as they continue to build Quicken Mac from the ground up about 7 years ago. Keep in mind that Quicken Windows benefits from (and sometimes suffers from) more than 3 decades of development.

The developers largely try to listen to which features the most people are clamoring for, and graphs/charts is not something which has seemed to stir a lot of passion among Quicken Mac users. Maybe it's because we waited for years to get functional reports, which have blossomed only relatively recently over the past year or two... so perhaps they have graphics planned for a future phase of report development.

The one thing users can do to try to influence which things get developed ahead of others is to vote for idea topics on this forum. The idea thread for this is here. Take a second to go there and vote in the blue box under the first post, and feel free to add comments there about what reports or charts you find most needed. 
This discussion has been closed.