As of 8/4/2020 prompted to sign in to Quicken ID every time I start Quicken, but it always fails

A month ago I suffered from the "Oops, something went wrong" error signing in to my Quicken ID, and that error is still listed as a known issue in a support article dated 6/29/20. I was able to bypass that problem by creating a new Quicken file and signing in to that file as suggested by the support article. Now, a month later, I am being prompted to sign in again and the sign in is still failing with the "Oops! something went wrong. Please try again, and if it still doesn't work, let us know." error. Retrying the sign in later still gets the same error. I can X out of the sign in dialog at that point and use Quicken except for online services, for example, trying to download quotes just gives me the sign in dialog again, and sign in fails with the same error. And now, creating a new dummy Quicken file and signing in to the new file does not resolve the issue, as sign in to the new file also fails.

Is there a resolution to the problem in the 6/29/20 support article other than that bypass? What else should I try?

Larry

Best Answer

• LarryF
    LarryF Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    On the one computer which uses Windows Defender, the Controlled Folder access was not causing the problem, and similarly turning off my AntiVirus (ESET NOD32) on the other machine did not help. But I have now found the cause and resolved the problem, at least for the time being, so this issue can be closed. Thanks for your help, and read on if you want to know what I found.

The issue appeared all along to possibly be a network timing or timeout issue, since the Quicken ID sign in always hung for 30 seconds or more before failing. So I tried closing other applications which could affect network performance and eventually was able after trying multiple times to get through a successful sign in, but then the subscription check failed, brought up Quicken as the Home and Business version (I actually have Premier) and failed any online access, telling me that I needed to buy a subscription. But now after trying to sign in again on a newly created file, the sign in eventually worked. So just in case my router might be causing the problem (I hadn't suspected that previously since no other app on any of my devices was having any problems) I rebooted the router. I was now able to sign in to my Quicken ID on my other computer. It is apparent to me now that Quicken somehow uses the network in a way that is different from any other app and that results in issues on the router after it has been up for over a month.

Thanks again for your help,
    Larry

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited September 2020
    Hello @LarryF,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.

First I suggest you try signing out of your data file completely and then signing back in. Please, follow the steps below.
    1. Go to Edit
    2. Preferences
    3. Quicken ID & Cloud accounts
    4. Sign in as a different user (or it might say Sign in using a different Quicken ID)
    5. Follow the prompts to Sign Out
    6. Sign back in using your Quicken ID (email) and password (this screen is not a pop-up box)
    Keep in mind that the sign-in pop-up dialogue may continuously keep popping back up, in which case you will need to continue closing it each time throughout the above process until you reach the full sign-in screen.

I hope this helps and let us know if you have any additional questions!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• LarryF
    LarryF Member ✭✭
    I have Quicken installed on multiple computers, all using the same Quicken ID and Quicken file. The Quicken file is not shared, each computer has its own copy and I only actually use Quicken on my primary computer. I do not use a password for the Quicken file itself. The same problem described in my post occurs on all of the computers. So I used one of the backup computers to follow your instructions, exactly as you described. And when I tried to sign back in on the Quicken window (just as you described, not in one of the popup prompts) I got exactly the same error "Oops, ...", but now that message and the resulting sign in prompt were in the left side of the Quicken window rather than in a popup.

I then tried creating a new Quicken file on that computer, but the sign in failed in the same way with the new file. And now I have lost the use of Quicken completely on that computer, since every time I start Quicken now I get the sign in prompt that is not a popup, where sign in always fails and I can't get past that prompt.

I'm convinced that this is a problem with my Quicken ID rather than the Quicken install on any of these computers. Perhaps something in my ID needs to be reset from your end.

Any further suggestions will certainly be appreciated.

Larry
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @LarryF

I'm sorry to hear that issues still persist and thank you for posting back with that additional information.

Have you by any chance checked the Windows Defender & Controlled Folder Access settings for each of the computers?  If not, please review the information and steps available here and let us know if the errors persist.

Thank you,

Sarah
  • LarryF
    LarryF Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    On the one computer which uses Windows Defender, the Controlled Folder access was not causing the problem, and similarly turning off my AntiVirus (ESET NOD32) on the other machine did not help. But I have now found the cause and resolved the problem, at least for the time being, so this issue can be closed. Thanks for your help, and read on if you want to know what I found.

The issue appeared all along to possibly be a network timing or timeout issue, since the Quicken ID sign in always hung for 30 seconds or more before failing. So I tried closing other applications which could affect network performance and eventually was able after trying multiple times to get through a successful sign in, but then the subscription check failed, brought up Quicken as the Home and Business version (I actually have Premier) and failed any online access, telling me that I needed to buy a subscription. But now after trying to sign in again on a newly created file, the sign in eventually worked. So just in case my router might be causing the problem (I hadn't suspected that previously since no other app on any of my devices was having any problems) I rebooted the router. I was now able to sign in to my Quicken ID on my other computer. It is apparent to me now that Quicken somehow uses the network in a way that is different from any other app and that results in issues on the router after it has been up for over a month.

Thanks again for your help,
    Larry
  • aviet
    aviet Member
    I have been having the same problem. I am asked to provide my Quicken ID/Password. I do so and then Quicken just hangs at the sign in panel *forever*. It has accepted the ID/password because if I provide incorrect credentials I get an immediate error. If I dismiss this panel 3 times my Quicken file is opened. However, next time I use Quicken it crashed at startup. To fix this I have to hold "control" while starting Quicken and use Validate on my file. Once Validate runs I am asked to login again, this time it works. Within a day or 2 I have the same problem!
  • K109
    K109 Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    I am having the exact same problem as aviet. I have had to uninstall and then reinstall the program to stop it from crashing. Now, two days later, the same problem as above is happening again. Quicken Premier R28.10
  • Jim Shiffrin
    Jim Shiffrin Member ✭✭✭
    Since I installed Quicken 28.10 last week, I have been having this problem. The "official Quicken solution" is to close the ID/Password window three times, go to File/Preferences/quicken ID, and sign in as a new user. At least this time it accepts my password. Then it works for restarting Quicken for the rest of that day. The problem comes back the next morning! The young lady at Quicken says they are aware of a possible problem but this is the only solution at this time. Maybe it is time to replace Quicken.
  • studpup
    studpup Windows Beta Beta
    Since I installed Quicken 28.10 last week, I have been having this problem. The "official Quicken solution" is to close the ID/Password window three times, go to File/Preferences/quicken ID, and sign in as a new user. At least this time it accepts my password. Then it works for restarting Quicken for the rest of that day. The problem comes back the next morning! The young lady at Quicken says they are aware of a possible problem but this is the only solution at this time. Maybe it is time to replace Quicken.
    Closing the password window and sign in as different user worked for me! thanks!

wags Glad to be here!

This discussion has been closed.