Why is Quicken changing the sort I have set in my Registers?

Quicken Deluxe Version R28.10 Build 27.1.28.10 Windows Build 2004.
Since the last update, when I open a Register it changes the way I had sorted the register transactions. In all my accounts in Quicken, I sorted by date, oldest on the top, latest on the bottom. Now at least 3 times, it has reversed that sort, where the latest is on top and oldest on the bottom.
Why is it doing this? I HAVEN'T changed this myself. I've been using Quicken for at least 10 years now, I know how to sort the transactions and they have always stayed that way every time I've opened the program.

Best Answers

• Greg Semple
    Greg Semple Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Yesterday, (September 11th) I received an update, v28.28, and it appears this has resolved the problem. 

Answers

• rlc256
    rlc256 Member ✭✭
    Happening to me too...
  • rlc256
    rlc256 Member ✭✭
    Additional info.. sort order changing after transaction downloads in credit cards if method is Express Web Connect. It does not seem to happen to me if method is Direct Connect.
  • Greg Semple
    Greg Semple Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @rlc256 said:
    > Additional info.. sort order changing after transaction downloads in credit cards if method is Express Web Connect. It does not seem to happen to me if method is Direct Connect.

It has changed both my credit card and checking registers. Update method is always Direct Connect. This has been happening since the August update.
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Is it possible that you're changing the sort order accidentally by clicking the mouse while moving the mouse pointer to some menu item?
    Also please check that "Remember register filters after Quicken closes" in Edit / Preferences / Register has been enabled (checkmarked).
  • rlc256
    rlc256 Member ✭✭
    Yes, true, it is possible, but I am not doing that. The register is changing the sort all on its own.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello all,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

As this issue began after installing an update, I would start by restoring a backup from prior to the update to see if the behavior exists.

If the trouble persists in the backup file, I would contact support directly for assistance.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Quicken Care has the ability to initiate a screen share to view the issue in real-time to better assess the root cause and provide a solution.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • rlc256
    rlc256 Member ✭✭
    Further.. In my case the problem is completely reproducible: For any Express Web Connect account, I can set the sort order to whatever and then download transactions. The act of downloading (whether there are new tranactions to download or not) causes the register to resort itself, by date, with newest transactions on top. I will contact support. Thanks.
  • CDNBeerman
    CDNBeerman Member ✭✭
    Is there a way to have the registry not only sorted by date, but to have deposits before payments within the same date range?
  • rlc256
    rlc256 Member ✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Lee Cummings (Removed Privacy)
    8:47 AM (1 minute ago)
    to Quicken_Tyka

I tried Quicken Support. They were no help.

CHAT Aug 9, 2020

Me:
    Register re-sorting problem since last update… completely reproducible: For any Express Web Connect account, I can set the sort order to whatever and then download transactions. The act of downloading (whether there are new tranactions to download or not) causes the register to resort itself, by date, with newest transactions on top.

(I supply contact & version info, etc.)

Agent:
    in this case the sequence is normal
    so tell me more about please because the program works like should be works

Me:
    What?.. No it is not… No Direct Connect accounts re-sort themselves… EWC accounts never re-sorted themselves before last update…

Others are complaining about the problem in the Quicken Community also

Agent:
    one moment please let me check

thank you for waiting
    in this case let me know how is the behavior that you can see in your direct connect accounts

Me:
    Direct Connect accounts download transactions and do NOT re-sort themselves.. the sort order I have chosen stays put.

Agent:
    did you try click in “DATE”

Me:
    No, I didn't click anything - the register re-sorts all by itself. I've got to go. Please report this bug to the Quicken developers.

Agent:
    I am creating a internal report already
    however according to the system is the normal behavior

Me:
    No it is not. Thanks and goodbye..
  • Greg Semple
    Greg Semple Member ✭✭✭✭
    UKR said:
    Is it possible that you're changing the sort order accidentally by clicking the mouse while moving the mouse pointer to some menu item?
    Also please check that "Remember register filters after Quicken closes" in Edit / Preferences / Register has been enabled (checkmarked).
    NO, I'm not changing the sort order accidently. I've used a computer since 1989, build them, installed Windows on numerous machines. So No, I didn't accidently do it and the check mark has been in the preferences item and it still alters my register. 
  • Greg Semple
    Greg Semple Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    (Removed-Rant/Unhelpful)
  • Greg Semple
    Greg Semple Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hello all,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response.

As this issue began after installing an update, I would start by restoring a backup from prior to the update to see if the behavior exists.

If the trouble persists in the backup file, I would contact support directly for assistance.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Quicken Care has the ability to initiate a screen share to view the issue in real-time to better assess the root cause and provide a solution.

Thank you,

-Quicken Tyka

I don't like going to a back up file. All the new updates seem to get lost, but we'll see. Based on a response below, looks like someone already contacted customer support and your support made it sound like this was normal behavior. 

Is that what I can expect if I contact them?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭

Hello @rlc256

Thank you for contacting support and I apologize that they were unable to assist further. This contact should have included additional troubleshooting steps to help diagnose this issue. This interaction has been forwarded to our Senior Leadership staff for review and coaching.

I do believe that you have been given incorrect information and that this is not working as designed as I am not able to recreate this on my own file. I have several accounts using Express Web Connect as well as Direct Connect. My sort orders do not change once set after syncing.

I have changed the sort date as well as multiple columns and I do not experience any reversion of the register.

While it’s possible that this is an intermittent bug that does not affect every user, I am unable to confirm any further if that is the case.

"Greg Semple said:

Based on a response below, looks like someone already contacted customer support and your support made it sound like this was normal behavior. 

Is that what I can expect if I contact them?

In short, No. Support should perform troubleshooting steps and ask additional questions to determine the cause of a problem. However, in this case, I am unable to fully confirm a troubleshoot issue as the Community doesn’t have all of the tools that Quicken Care does and in general, is not the ideal channel for extensive troubleshooting.

Chat support has similar constraints and this can also be a difficult channel to use to fully troubleshoot an issue. To have the best support experience I would recommend contacting support by phone, especially if the issue is something that needs to be visually demonstrated to be understood.

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @rlc256 and @Greg Semple

I had a quick question and a step I wanted to suggest.

Please navigate to Edit > Preferences > Register and confirm that "Remember Register Filters are Quicken Closes" is checked.

If you find that this has already been checked, please uncheck this option. Then close and reopen Quicken and check the preference once more.

Please let me know what you find!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • rlc256
    rlc256 Member ✭✭
    I followed your instructions but no joy. After each download action my 3 EWC registers change the sort to "Date" and in descending order so that the most recent transactions (and the new transaction input line) are on top of the register not on the bottom. I'd send along screenshots but don't know how that is done here. -rlc256
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    R28.10 seems to have introduced a number of bugs. Maybe roll back to R27.42 and see whether the issue resolves. I can't reproduce the issue in either version.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Greg Semple
    Greg Semple Member ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @rlc256 and @Greg Semple

I had a quick question and a step I wanted to suggest.

Please navigate to Edit > Preferences > Register and confirm that "Remember Register Filters are Quicken Closes" is checked.

If you find that this has already been checked, please uncheck this option. Then close and reopen Quicken and check the preference once more.

Please let me know what you find!

-Quicken Tyka
    Tyka,
    I never had that option checked to begin with and the sort issue happened. On someone's suggestion I checked it but it made no difference. In my case, the sort only changes when a transaction is posted to the checking or credit card account that I have in Quicken Deluxe. In today's case, my checking account was the only thing to download a transaction and it changed the sort. 

I see a post from Rocket and they attached a file that I suspect will allow me to roll back to the previous version. I didn't have the issue in the previous version. Is this a good troubleshooting step to roll back? Please advise. 

Thanks, 
    Greg
  • I've always sorted by register by "cleared" transactions, with most recent dates being at the bottom of register. In the past, when I went into an account, my cursor/register would be at the bottom of the list, ready for new transactions.
    Recently (in the past few days) my cursor/register is at the top of the account - so I have to scroll/drag down through years and years of transactions to get to the most recent.
    I haven't changed anything, my register preferences show sort on cleared transactions, but I cannot get the cursor to default to the bottom of the register.

Any ideas?
  • Following as this is an issue for me as well.
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    You have changed the sort order on your register.

Clicking on a column header will sort by that column.  Clicking a second time (not a double click) will reverse the order.

In your case, click on the Date column  header.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• > @splasher said:
    > You have changed the sort order on your register.Clicking on a column header will sort by that column.  Clicking a second time (not a double click) will reverse the order.
    >
    > In your case, click on the Date column  header.

No i haven't changed my sort order - the program has done this itself. I change it back but it doesn't "stick".
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Please pardon me for trying to help.  Maybe someone else can help you.

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Are you saying that the sort order remains the way you like it, sorted by Cleared with the most recent transactions at the bottom? And that the problem is that the cursor goes to the oldest transaction at the top instead of the newest at the bottom? That's how I'm reading your question. If I have it wrong, please clarify.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• rewilson
    rewilson Member ✭✭
    Also following. Some registers (I think those with downloaded transactions) change sort order to date with newest at the top. I change it to Date/Order Entered, newest at the bottom, but it resets next time there are transactions downloaded. If no downloaded transactions, the sort order will stay. Latest version of Quicken on Windows 10. This seems to have started happening around the time of the last Quicken update.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    I see a post from Rocket and they attached a file that I suspect will allow me to roll back to the previous version. I didn't have the issue in the previous version. Is this a good troubleshooting step to roll back? Please advise.
    The link is to the mondo patch for R27.42. I was encountering several small, but annoying, bugs in 28.10, and rolled both my PCs back to 27.42 simply by running that executable patch (with Quicken closed, of course). You can try it, it won't hurt anything (but back up your data first anyway) and see whether it remedies your issues.

• Greg Semple
    Greg Semple Member ✭✭✭✭
    The link is to the mondo patch for R27.42. I was encountering several small, but annoying, bugs in 28.10, and rolled both my PCs back to 27.42 simply by running that executable patch (with Quicken closed, of course). You can try it, it won't hurt anything (but back up your data first anyway) and see whether it remedies your issues.

Thanks, I'll give it a try and post results later. 
  • Greg Semple
    Greg Semple Member ✭✭✭✭

So the patch rolled me back to the previous version. I ran the direct connect update and it did NOT change the sort that I had in my registers. 4 accounts got new transactions posted and none of the sorts changed. 

Thanks for the work around, now I just hope Quicken can get a fix. 
  • Oregondoug
    Oregondoug Member ✭✭
    I too find it very annoying that Quicken will change the sort order from "cleared" to Date with the newest transactions at the top. I also experienced that sometimes the "One Step Update" has become a "Nine Step Update" as the same accounts do not update and have to be updated individually.
  • Rolling back to R27.42 worked for me as well. Thank you
  • System
    System Member admin
    This discussion was created from comments split from: how to sort registry by ordered entered?.
This discussion has been closed.