One Step Update messes up account balances

Options
In the last week, I have noticed a new issue. When I perform a One Step Update, some of my accounts get completely messed up. The register balances magically show different numbers and I am not even able to see a transaction that could have changed the balance.

Due to this issue I have stopped updating my accounts using One Step Download for past 10 days or so.

This issue started happening after Quicken was updated to the new version about 10 days ago as part of the automatic update.

Best Answers

• User23
    User23 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I seem to have solved my issue by doing the following

1. One Step Update
    2. Do not accept any downloaded transcations that were already in the register but delete them
    3. Any new transactions downloaded accept

Earlier when I accepted all transcations knowing that couple of recent transactions were duplicate, the system added other duplicated transactions going back several years. That behavior seems to have gone away with me not accepting the recent downloaded duplicate transactions.

I have 2 other questions

1. Again after the last couple of Quicken software version updates, my remebered payees when entering a new transaction manually do not fill in the last used category and amount automatically as before

2. During One Step Update, it is spending a lot of time on Updating online services when I have specifcally requested not to copy my information to the Cloud. Is there a way I can stop completely the online maintenance of my data

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Options
    @User23 - I suggest you download and install the Mondo Patch for R28.18 from https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product
    There were some issues in which some transactions for some people would not download (with R28.10) and another issue in which some people would see transactions entered into their registers that were duplicates of previously entered transactions (with R28.16).  I suspect one or both of these is the cause of your register balance issues.
    R28.18 fixes these download issues.   The Quicken Team recommends:  "Before you install this update, we recommend you perform a One Step Update to ensure that your data is synced to the cloud. You should also make a backup of your data file."
    If after installing R28.16 and running OSU, again, your register balances are still incorrect, you might want to consider restoring a backup file from before you updated to your current revision (the one you installed about 10 days ago) and then run OSU one more time.  It will probably be easier and faster to get your register balances corrected by this method than to troubleshoot your registers looking for missing and/or duplicate transactions.

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• User23
    User23 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I performed the Mondo Patch Update but that did not solve the problem.

Even the before Mondo Update, my Quicken Version was R 28.18; however I performed the Mondo update to fix any missing patches in between but the behavior continues exactly as before.

One Step Update adds random duplicate entries from the past and it is even impossible to figure out what duplicate entry was added( I went back with my account statements for past 2 years and the balances are out of wack even as far as 2 years ago)

I have given up on One Step Update. Please suggest any additional inputs or comments if you have any.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Options
    User23 said:
    I performed the Mondo Patch Update but that did not solve the problem.

Even the before Mondo Update, my Quicken Version was R 28.18; however I performed the Mondo update to fix any missing patches in between but the behavior continues exactly as before.

One Step Update adds random duplicate entries from the past and it is even impossible to figure out what duplicate entry was added( I went back with my account statements for past 2 years and the balances are out of wack even as far as 2 years ago)

I have given up on One Step Update. Please suggest any additional inputs or comments if you have any.
    Have you tried to restore a backup file from before you started seeing the duplicate transactions history and then doing OSU?
    Another option that you might want to consider (what I did):
    1. Backup your data file in case something goes wrong.
    2. Make sure your register is sorted by Date.
    3. Review your transactions going back to your last reconciliation date.  Make sure to mark as Reconciled (if they are not already marked as R) any transactions that you want to keep.  If there are any duplicates, make sure one is marked as R and either delete the other or make sure it is marked as Cleared (C).
    4. Click on the "Clr" column header to sort that column by cleared status.
    5. Find the first C transaction and left click on that to highlight it.
    6. Scroll down the register to the last C transaction and while holding down the Shift key left click on that one.  This will highlight all of the C transactions (the duplicates) in your register. 
    7. Right click on any one of the highlighted C transactions and then click on Delete.  This will delete all of these transactions in your register.
    8. Sort your register by Date, again, and compare your online balance to your register balance.  They should match.
    9. Once this process is completed, you should not see duplicate transactions downloaded and entered into your register during OSU, again.
    Did either of these options resolve your issue?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R55.15 on Windows 11)

• User23
    User23 Member ✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    I seem to have solved my issue by doing the following

1. One Step Update
    2. Do not accept any downloaded transcations that were already in the register but delete them
    3. Any new transactions downloaded accept

Earlier when I accepted all transcations knowing that couple of recent transactions were duplicate, the system added other duplicated transactions going back several years. That behavior seems to have gone away with me not accepting the recent downloaded duplicate transactions.

I have 2 other questions

1. Again after the last couple of Quicken software version updates, my remebered payees when entering a new transaction manually do not fill in the last used category and amount automatically as before

2. During One Step Update, it is spending a lot of time on Updating online services when I have specifcally requested not to copy my information to the Cloud. Is there a way I can stop completely the online maintenance of my data
  • User23
    User23 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Problem with Autofill fixed after checking the Preferences. Thank you.

3. Mobile & Web Sync turned off- How do I turn off Mobile & Web Sync.?
    Is there a preference or other setting
  • User23
    User23 Member ✭✭
    Options
    Found the preference for Mobile and Web Sync

Disregard my last question
This discussion has been closed.