Trying to add security - says it already exists - pretty sure it doesn't

Options
Was adding securities to my security list and Quicken wouldn't find it, so I created it manually. Then I figured out a way for Quicken to find the security through its search function, which would give me all the proper info for updates. So ... I deleted my manual entry - no problem. But, when I then try to add the security using the search function, at the step where I selected the security for review and click Next, I get the error "You already have a security with that name, please enter a different name." How is this possible? It is NOT listed in the security list, I've checked show hidden. I've run reports to confirm no transactions. And as mentioned, it allowed me to delete my manual entry no problem. What might be causing this?

Best Answer

Answers

• nschloss
    nschloss Member ✭✭
    Options
    My bad - resolved myself - although the symbol was different, the provided description from the search function was the same for a whole family of mutual funds, causing the error. Simply added a better descriptor and all good. Does make one curious though why the database would list multiple securities using the same descriptor.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    nschloss said:
     ... Does make one curious though why the database would list multiple securities using the same descriptor.
    I agree. There are quite a few other instances as well where the reference database duplicates security names. 
This discussion has been closed.