Sync says budget needs preferences

Have been getting the attached error for a few weeks now. I can't find anywhere to enter budget parameters? Happens when MOBILE is SYNCING

Comments

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @M - N Putzer 

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue.

Please navigate to Help > About Quicken and provide the release you are currently running.

If you haven't done so already, I would start by resetting the cloud data by following the steps below.
    1. Go to Edit
    2. Preferences
    3. Mobile & Web
    4. Make sure sync shows it's ON and click on Reset your cloud data (see below)

Once this has been complete, please let me know if the error persists.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • M - N Putzer
    M - N Putzer Member ✭✭✭
    R28.16

I have tried several times, and reset produces the same results when it finishes and tries to sync the data
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @M - N Putzer

Thank you for the response although I apologize that resetting the cloud did not correct this issue.

May I ask if you have multiple budgets or just one? If multiple, may I ask that you please open a different budget and attempt to reset the cloud once more and see if the sync is successful? 

Please let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • M - N Putzer
    M - N Putzer Member ✭✭✭
    Multiple budgets, I get the same result with other budget. I even tried last year's budget which had worked previously for the same result.

I talked with a support person a couple of weeks ago, because my main bank accounts won't sync to mobile either. But, they weren't able to fix issue. The bank accounts haven't worked since my bank went to new website. The will sync daily into quicken correctly, but not to mobile. They wanted me to talk with the bank which I did. (Community First Credit Union, Wisconsin. The credit union says the issue is not on their end, since the data will work going into Quicken and just not the mobile app.
  • Quicken Francisco
    Quicken Francisco Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @M - N Putzer

I was taking a look to see what all has been recommended and I have another idea we could try here. We're gonna try to delete the current dataset. In order to do this We'll need to create a test file first so that we're able to delete the dataset of our original file.

1. Choose File menu > New Quicken File.

Advanced Data File Troubleshooting to Correct Problems With Quicken for Windows

1. Select New Quicken File.

1. Click OK.
    2. In the File name field, enter the name of the new file, then click Save. Use a name like "Test File" to tell it apart from your main file. 

Don't use any of these characters: * ? < > | " : \ / (asterisk, question mark, left and right-angle bracket, pipe, straight quotation marks, colon, BACKSLASH, FORWARD SLASH). Also, don't add the .qdf extension; Quicken does that for you.

1. Sign in with your Quicken ID. If you are prompted to create a Quicken ID but already have one, click Sign In under the Create Account prompt. 

Once we've got the test file set up we'll be able to follow the next article located here. 

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-edit-or-delete-your-cloud-datasets-quicken-windows

You'll be able to skip step 2 and go directly to step 3. Once you've done step 3 try again going back to your main file. Once there we'll try syncing the mobile again. Ideally by resetting the cloud we'll be able to get it to sync without the parameter errors appearing. 

Once you've given it a try let us know how it goes!

Thanks
    Quicken Francisco

• M - N Putzer
    M - N Putzer Member ✭✭✭
    I tried it and everything seemed to go through. I tried syncing again, and this time I only chose 1 account.
    I still got the same error about budget parameter.
    The account did sync to mobile, but without the budget
  • M - N Putzer
    M - N Putzer Member ✭✭✭
    I needed to restore my file back a few days. Doing the above steps removed categories from my historical transactions and made opening balances incorrect.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Hello @M - N Putzer '

Thank you for the response, although I apologize that some information was not carried over during the troubleshooting steps.

When you have restored a backup and are up and running I had one more step I wanted to try.

I want to try turning the sync off temporarily. Please follow the steps to navigate to the Sync Toggle: 

1. Go to Edit
    2. Preferences
    3. Mobile & Web

Turn this Sync OFF and close this menu. Please run a One Step Update while this off, once that is complete. Please close Quicken and reboot the computer.

Once that is complete please open Quicken and turn the Sync back ON and try to sync once more.

Please let me know if you get the error again.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • M - N Putzer
    M - N Putzer Member ✭✭✭
    This has finally got rid of the budget error when syncing. Thank you

I still don't have a budget when I go to mobile, but at least it is not erroring out.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @M - N Putzer

Thank you for the response and I'm glad to hear that the error has stopped!

As for the budget missing, I would first confirm in the mobile app that the correct file has been selected.

If the file is correct, I would then reset the cloud in the desktop version once more.

Please let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • M - N Putzer
    M - N Putzer Member ✭✭✭
    What do you mean the correct file has been selected? Is there someone to select the budget file?
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @M - N Putzer

There is currently no option to choose a "Budget File" however, multiple data files may be used with the mobile app. As you have recently restored a backup, it's possible that the active data file may not be selected for use on the mobile app.

After signing into the Mobile App, you will need to select the sandwich icon on the left to access the settings. There will be a dropdown that contains the current filename and options to select other data files.

I hope this clarifies! 
    ~~~***~~~
  • M - N Putzer
    M - N Putzer Member ✭✭✭
    The correct file was chosen. So I went to do the reset of cloud data. Now the budget error came back.

So I followed the steps we did earlier today to get rid of the message, but it won't go away now.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Thank you for the response and for confirming that the correct data file has been chosen.

I have another step I would like to try, please save a backup prior to completing these steps.

First, navigate to the budget on the desktop.

Next, choose "Budget Actions" then choose "Duplicate Budget" this will create an exact copy of the current budget.

Can you then navigate to the previous budget and choose "Budget Actions" then "Delete this Budget..."

This should remove the previous budget, leaving the newly created copy.

I would then try to sync to the mobile app once more and see if this duplicated budget syncs successfully. 

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • M - N Putzer
    M - N Putzer Member ✭✭✭
    I still got the same error. BUT this looks strange. I attached the dropdown of budgets. There is a blank one there. The three on bottom are the duplicated budgets and I deleted their corresponding budgets with no issue. I tried to delete the Budget 2019, which has this blank one behind it and I get the Bug error screen and Quicken closes. Could this be the blank one which is causing issues? How can I get rid of it. It won't let me click on it.

I tried a number of times to delete the Budget 20019, but it always blows up.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @M - N Putzer

Thank you for the response, that would sense that the blank budget would be the initial cause of the sync error.

First, I do not believe we have tried to validate the file as I do not see that step listed in this post. 

So if you haven't done so already:

File menu > File Operations > Validate & Repair option.

In the Validate File window that opens, click the top box to "validate file" and then click OK.

When the validation completes, a data log will open in Notepad, please let us know if any errors or issues are found/repaired, and when ready close and re-open Quicken.

Do you receive any errors regarding the budget?

If there are no errors and you are still unable to select the budget please try to "Super Validate" the file.

This entails holding Control + Shift while selecting File menu > File Operations > Validate & Repair option. There will be an option "Super Validate the File."

Please let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • M - N Putzer
    M - N Putzer Member ✭✭✭
    Ran validate and all that had an error was one category.
    Ran Super validate and it came up with no errors.
    The blank budget is still there and the sync still gives the error message.

We need to somehow get rid of that blank budget. So I set up another test file. I deleted every budget I had. When they were all deleted, the blank one was gone.

I have two data files, so I went to the mobile app and actually brought up the other file. Everything worked ok on that file.

Came back to my file, looked and the budgets didn't have a blank one.
    I tried another sync. Went to the mobile app and now chose my file. It worked. The budget is even showing.

So right now it seems to be working. Let's keep fingers crossed that it stays.

It seems to be that blank budget, don't know how it got there, or actually how it went away. But, working now. If it stops you will be hearing from me again. :smiley:
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @M - N Putzer

Hooray!! Thank you for letting me know the results, I am glad to hear that it's working.

I'm not sure how this came to be, I'm curious if this blank budget was listed in the file all along or if all of the troubleshooting revealed this blank budget.

There is another ongoing post with another user experiencing this same issue, it is odd that there are two reports of the same issue, however, I have not seen any further been any further reports beyond these two.

I am keeping an eye for more clues, please let me know if you encounter any further issues!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
This discussion has been closed.