How to create transaction report for securities

I want to create a report that includes all dividends paid to me last year and subtotal by security. How do I do that? There is no securities tab in the transaction report in my 2020 Mac version. Securities aren’t listed among payees (obviously I suppose). The only thing I’ve been able to do is sort the transactions list in my brokerage account, but I’d still have to add each securities transactions by hand. There must be a better way.

Best Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Answer ✓
    wpott1991 said:
    Still, why in the world Q2020 for Mac doesn’t have a securities tab in its reports template totally escapes me.
    Your thoughts?
    Having been hanging around here for years, I can give you a brief background. QM2007 was "replaced" by Quicken Essentials Mac as a new development from the ground up c.2010. It was a very stripped down product, intended to be a somewhat interim replacement for QM2007 while further development progressed. The writing was on the wall for the end of QM2007 due to changes in macOS technology. It's actually amazing that QM07 has been kept alive this long.

Unfortunately, development past QEM stalled due to perhaps lack of interest from Intuit or other corporate decisions. It wasn't until 2015 that QM2015 was released, adding back some of the basic features needed. For example, QM15 was the first version since QM07 that did investments at all.

Reporting was something that Quicken (now divorced from Intuit) had always intended to do major improvements on. However, a new reporting engine needed to be developed under the hood. And many other non-reporting-related changes and improvements needed to happen. The new reporting engine was finally developed in the last year or so, and the groundwork is now in place for Quicken to greatly improve the reporting capabilities. 

The latest release of QMac had some pretty substantial changes to the reporting area. This, I believe, is a good sign that we can expect more progress soon in that area, including improvements in the investment related report capabilities. 

If you search around here on the forum, I'm sure you can find some better and more detailed info about Quicken's plans in this area than I have written above.
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • jlgg
    jlgg Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I believe you can use the legacy Tax Report for this. If you want to include accounts that are not taxable, you can select them in the customization window. The report will subtotal all dividends received by security. You can also customize the report to exclude any other taxable events leaving just dividend income. The report is printable.

I hope the developers realize the unique features of this particular legacy report and don't remove it in the future in favor of newer reports that are not as powerful.

Answers

• RickO
    I don't know a way to do this, sorry. The only thing I can suggest is to export the sorted register to a CSV file (menu File > Export) and then use Excel or Numbers to add up the dividends for each security. Not what you're looking for, I know, but at least better than adding by hand.
  • wpott1991
    wpott1991 Member ✭✭
    Your export suggestion was exactly what I ended up doing. It took several more steps than the reports I did in Q2007 (I finally gave up and moved to Q2020 a few months ago). However, there are a few advantages given the greater flexibility of Excel. Also, using the command-shift-T shortcut after selecting the cell just below the end of the amounts column instantly totals the amounts. So, it’ll do for now.
    Still, why in the world Q2020 for Mac doesn’t have a securities tab in its reports template totally escapes me.
    Your thoughts?
  • It would be nice to have.
    In particular a report that shows total  Cost/ total Value and all dividends paid since security was bought
  • RickO
    Answer ✓
    wpott1991 said:
    Your thoughts?
    Having been hanging around here for years, I can give you a brief background. QM2007 was "replaced" by Quicken Essentials Mac as a new development from the ground up c.2010. It was a very stripped down product, intended to be a somewhat interim replacement for QM2007 while further development progressed. The writing was on the wall for the end of QM2007 due to changes in macOS technology. It's actually amazing that QM07 has been kept alive this long.

Unfortunately, development past QEM stalled due to perhaps lack of interest from Intuit or other corporate decisions. It wasn't until 2015 that QM2015 was released, adding back some of the basic features needed. For example, QM15 was the first version since QM07 that did investments at all.

Reporting was something that Quicken (now divorced from Intuit) had always intended to do major improvements on. However, a new reporting engine needed to be developed under the hood. And many other non-reporting-related changes and improvements needed to happen. The new reporting engine was finally developed in the last year or so, and the groundwork is now in place for Quicken to greatly improve the reporting capabilities. 

The latest release of QMac had some pretty substantial changes to the reporting area. This, I believe, is a good sign that we can expect more progress soon in that area, including improvements in the investment related report capabilities. 

If you search around here on the forum, I'm sure you can find some better and more detailed info about Quicken's plans in this area than I have written above.
  • wpott1991
    wpott1991 Member ✭✭
    Thanks very much for the history lesson. I never even tried Quicken Essentials. Q2007 actually fit my needs pretty well all these years. (I’ve used Quicken since 1991 myself.) But corruption increasingly crept into my ever larger file (since 2002) and now have no choice. Here’s hoping new Quicken finally catches with Q2007. Thanks again.
  • jlgg
    jlgg Member ✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    I believe you can use the legacy Tax Report for this. If you want to include accounts that are not taxable, you can select them in the customization window. The report will subtotal all dividends received by security. You can also customize the report to exclude any other taxable events leaving just dividend income. The report is printable.

I hope the developers realize the unique features of this particular legacy report and don't remove it in the future in favor of newer reports that are not as powerful.
  • wpott1991
    wpott1991 Member ✭✭
    Worked like a charm. Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.