Could not connect, unsupported URL [BofA, Q Mac]

BJL
BJL Mac Beta Beta
I have been having this problem for many months now which started after some Quicken for MAC update. My Bank of America accounts all whos as "Could not connect" "Unsupported URL" although actually the transactions download properly. I have spent countless hours on the phone with Quicken support, disabling download transactions, re-enabling them, trying Quicken Connect, Web connect, etc. All to no avail. When I create a new test file it behaves correctly. The problem with this is that whether I reconnect all of my accounts from a new file, or export and import my old data, all attachments are lost. This is not a solution for me as I need to keep receipts for tax purposes and there is no way that Quicken provides for exporting attachments unless one by one and I have thousands of transactions. Quicken's alternative seems to be to tell me to enter all my transactions manually. The is no validate of super validate like in Windows (apparently MAC doesn't need it???). Frankly, if there was an alternative to Quicken I would switch. Many of my accounts go back many years.

Best Answer

• BJL
    BJL Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2020 Answer ✓
    Sure. Here is what finally worked for me (although I still do get sometimes a request to send a code to my mobile on one of the accounts):

While I had done the data reset many many times, this time it worked following the below. Note also the data reset can take 15 minutes are so to reset and resync.

1. Disable download the problematic accounts (you can do this by editing the account settings)
    2. Perform a dataset reset (go to Quicken > Preferences > Connected Services; click the Reset button)
    3. Add a new account (using the + icon at the top of the sidebar)
    4. Choose CitiBank, provide login info, etc
    5. Link the ‘found account(s)’ to the appropriate account(s) in Quicken

I still did do a Quicken Connect to my bank. One thing I did notice however was before I tried to relink the accounts I guess it automatically does a data sync and I still got that same error on 3 of the 5 accounts even though they were no longer linked. So then I did another sync (before I re-activated) and was without error. After which I then reactivated the accounts and all is good. Except as I mention that on one of the accounts it sends a code to my phone the next time I sync if its been several more hours.

Let me know if it works for you as well.

Thanks.

Answers

• jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @BJL  I have no help for you, I'm afraid, other than noting that you've outlined a good reason to consider storing your documents separately from Quicken. While Quicken allows you to attach documents to a transaction, there's not much more functionality -- you can't export them, search for them or manage them at all. And if your Quicken database becomes damaged, you've got no good path forward. Instead, you could set up folders by Payee or Year on your local drive, or a cloud service, to store your documents; as long as you use a consistent naming scheme (such as "yy-mm-dd Company name"), you can navigate to documents you need pretty quickly and easily. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • BJL
    BJL Mac Beta Beta
    Thank you. I already have my bills that way in their own folders, years, etc but it more of receipts, credit cards, and the like. I scan them, accept the scan file name, and attached them. I do understand what the alternatives are and thank you but I never even realized the extent of this issue with Quicken until I had this problem. So now I would need to go back 1 by one over several years and view the Quicken attachment and then "save as". I got used to be able to look at everything involving a transaction on 1 place and even on the mobile app which is why I tend to save as jpg and not pdf which the mobile app doesn't accept. It would seem to me that since Quicken offers this option to allow attachments they could and should handle it a heck of a lot better within how the data can be saved and/or exported. Else what's the point? Every other piece of data on a transaction is saved! My 2 crying cents.
  • lhossus
    lhossus SuperUser, Mac Beta ✭✭✭✭✭
    The following might provide a solution:

First, I am assuming all Bank of America (BofA) Accounts are regular banking accounts - and NOT investment accounts.

Since BofA accounts work properly in a test data file, creating new BofA accounts in the existing data file should also work. The following creates new BofA accounts and merges old existing transactions into them.

1) Make a backup of the Quicken Data File - just in case the results are unsatisfactory.

2) Deactivate all Quicken accounts associated with BofA.

--- Use Accounts > Hide and Show Accounts to verify ALL accounts are deactivated by sorting this list by Financial Institution and looking for Bank of America.

3) Run Update All Online Accounts.

--- Are all errors gone? They should be.
    --- If there are any errors, or other unexpected behavior, then these need to be investigated.

4) Create a new BofA account in Quicken for each existing BofA account in Quicken.

--- Set up each new account for downloading.
    --- Run Update All Online Accounts.
    --- Are there any errors now?
    --- Have recent transactions downloaded?

5) In each old BofA account in Quicken, select old transactions and drag/drop them on the name of the corresponding new account.

--- Avoid selecting old transactions that match transactions already downloaded into the new accounts. This avoids duplicates.

6) Run Update All Online Accounts.

---- Any errors?

7) Compare BofA statement to the Quicken account. Perhaps do a Reconcile.

8) Delete the old BofA accounts in Quicken - once everything appears correct.

--- Or, mark the old accounts as Separate or Closed.
    Quicken Mac Subscription • macOS Monterey 12.6 on MacBook Pro 13" M1
  • jacobs
    jacobs SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    @BJL  I agree that the implementation is not great, which is why I suggested you might want to keep your receipts and documents separately. I don't know the history of attachments in Quicken, but it seems like users asked for the ability to store receipts, and the engineers added that ability and… end of story. ;) No further capabilities were added to browse/search attachments, export attachments, or do anything more with them. 
    Quicken Mac Subscription • Quicken user since 1993
  • BJL
    BJL Mac Beta Beta
    Thank you.

Yes, BofA are regular banking accounts.

I essentially had already tried what you suggested below a bit differently but I think to the same end.

I deactivated all the BofA accounts. I then went to new account and added them all so in essence whether hidden or not I had 2 of the same accounts which was fine.

But in syncing I got the same error on the new accounts added. (I was hoping if I didn't to just be able to copy/move all the transactions and was hopeful it would have moved the attachments). But in any event, I had the same errors. It's only when I create a text file with BofA only that I don't get these errors.

> @lhossus said:
    > The following might provide a solution:
    >
    > First, I am assuming all Bank of America (BofA) Accounts are regular banking accounts - and NOT investment accounts.
    >
    > Since BofA accounts work properly in a test data file, creating new BofA accounts in the existing data file should also work. The following creates new BofA accounts and merges old existing transactions into them.
    >
    > 1) Make a backup of the Quicken Data File - just in case the results are unsatisfactory.
    >
    > 2) Deactivate all Quicken accounts associated with BofA.
    >
    > --- Use Accounts > Hide and Show Accounts to verify ALL accounts are deactivated by sorting this list by Financial Institution and looking for Bank of America.
    >
    > 3) Run Update All Online Accounts.
    >
    > --- Are all errors gone? They should be.
    > --- If there are any errors, or other unexpected behavior, then these need to be investigated.
    >
    > 4) Create a new BofA account in Quicken for each existing BofA account in Quicken.
    >
    > --- Set up each new account for downloading.
    > --- Run Update All Online Accounts.
    > --- Are there any errors now?
    > --- Have recent transactions downloaded?
    >
    > 5) In each old BofA account in Quicken, select old transactions and drag/drop them on the name of the corresponding new account.
    >
    > --- Avoid selecting old transactions that match transactions already downloaded into the new accounts. This avoids duplicates.
    >
    > 6) Run Update All Online Accounts.
    >
    > ---- Any errors?
    >
    > 7) Compare BofA statement to the Quicken account. Perhaps do a Reconcile.
    >
    > 8) Delete the old BofA accounts in Quicken - once everything appears correct.
    >
    > --- Or, mark the old accounts as Separate or Closed.
  • BJL
    BJL Mac Beta Beta
    > @jacobs said:
    > @BJL  I agree that the implementation is not great, which is why I suggested you might want to keep your receipts and documents separately. I don't know the history of attachments in Quicken, but it seems like users asked for the ability to store receipts, and the engineers added that ability and… end of the story. ;) No further capabilities were added to browse/search attachments, export attachments, or do anything more with them. 

@&;#$" in the wind. Yes, you relieved yourself but what of the repercussions? Does anyone disagree that if Quicken enabled one's ability to add attachments this is something they need to address further? Sort of now like Hotel Calfornia? You can check-in anytime you want but you can never leave? :-) I guess I am having a tough time in how this situation can be justified as "it is what it is" vs., its something that needs to be addressed.
  • BJL
    BJL Mac Beta Beta
    obviously they are storing the attachment data when one does a back-up so they should be able to implement something that is a bit more elegant/professional. My Uncle Sam reminds me I need to keep 7 years of records and receipts....and digital is OK.
  • lhossus
    BJL said:
    ...  My Bank of America accounts all whos as "Could not connect" "Unsupported URL" although actually the transactions download properly. ...
    It is unclear exactly what you are describing here.

How EXACTLY is Quicken communicating the errors. Do these errors appear in the Account Status Window?  OR are the errors in separate dialog windows? OR where?  Screenshots would be invaluable.

What is the connection method used for the BofA accounts: is it Direct Connect, or Quicken Connect?
  • BJL
    BJL Mac Beta Beta
    First off I have to say I am sincerely grateful for any help and advice. I know at times it might not sound that way as I am extremely frustrated with both the issues and the amount out time.

Quicken is communicating the errors through the account status window per this screenshot (Sapphire Visa is not BofA but Chase which is why it is green):

The connection method is Quicken Connect. (But I have tried it as Direct Connect as well but to no avail).

Thanks.
  • BJL
    BJL Mac Beta Beta
    But as I said even with these errors the new transactions are actually downloading.
  • lhossus

I am going to again present my procedure, with a few additions (e. g., step 3). 

I suggest this procedure be followed exactly. Then provide feedback on how each step behaves. I have indicated in the procedure where a key observation should be made, to verify that the procedure has been executed correctly and that it is behaving as expected.

1) Make a backup of the Quicken Data File - just in case the results are unsatisfactory.

2) Deactivate all Quicken accounts associated with Bank of America (BofA).

--- Go to Accounts > Hide and Show Accounts to verify ALL accounts are deactivated by sorting this list by Financial Institution and looking for Bank of America.

— Go to Accounts > Set Up Transaction Download…, select the Already Set Up tab and verify no BofA accounts appear.

— Likewise, open Windows > Account Status to verify that there are no longer any BofA accounts appearing in this list.

>>> It is critical that ALL BofA accounts are deactivated, even Hidden and Separate accounts.

3) Go to Quicken Preferences > Connected Services. Under the Cloud Account section: click on the link appearing within the text “Click Reset to start the process”.

— Let the Reset procedure run for a while, to ensure it has completed.

4) Run Update All Online Accounts.

--- Are all errors gone? They should be.

--- If there are any errors, or other unexpected behavior, then these need to be investigated.

5) Add a NEW account in Quicken for each BofA account and activate it for downloading.

In the initial Add … Account dialog

— Click on the My bank is not in the list (found at the bottom of the window)

In the “n Accounts Found” dialog

— Choose Action = Add for each account at BofA.

— Did all the BofA accounts appear in the linking list. If not, that is a problem.

--- Run Update All Online Accounts.

--- Are there any errors now?

--- Have recent transactions downloaded?

6) In each old BofA account in Quicken, select old transactions and drag/drop them on the name of the corresponding new account.

--- Avoid selecting old transactions that match transactions already downloaded into the new accounts. This avoids duplicates.

7) Run Update All Online Accounts.

--- Any errors?

8) Compare current BofA statement to the Quicken account. Perhaps do a Reconcile.

9) Delete the old BofA accounts in Quicken - once everything appears correct.

--- Or, mark the old accounts as Separate or Closed.

In reviewing the history of “Unsupported URL” errors posted in the Quicken Community, there seems to be several common suggestions:

1) that the wrong Financial Institution selection may have been made when setting up the account for downloading. I am hoping that that is not the case here - but it could be.

2) that the solution that works is to deactivate and reactivate. The procedure above addresses this solution.

3) there is one more step to the deactivate / reactivate procedure: it is suggested that relevant Keychain entries be deleted before reactivating. Seems unnecessary to me.

Other assumptions:

1) Mobile & Web Sync is turned OFF. (Quicken Preferences > Mobile, Web & Alerts tab)

• BJL
    BJL Mac Beta Beta
    Thank you again and see below and attached. I had actually done all of that before including resetting the cloud account however I am going to do it again now precisely following your steps and show the results below.

> @lhossus said:
    > I am going to again present my procedure, with a few additions (e. g., step 3). 
    >
    > I suggest this procedure be followed exactly. Then provide feedback on how each step behaves. I have indicated in the procedure where a key observation should be made, to verify that the procedure has been executed correctly and that it is behaving as expected.
    >
    > 1) Make a backup of the Quicken Data File - just in case the results are unsatisfactory. DONE
    >
    > 2) Deactivate all Quicken accounts associated with Bank of America (BofA).
    > DONE
    >    --- Go to Accounts > Hide and Show Accounts to verify ALL accounts are deactivated by sorting this list by Financial Institution and looking for Bank of America.
    > DONE (THERE WAS, IN FACT, ONE HIDDEN ACCOUNT THAT HAD NOT BEEN DEACTIVATED) THANK YOU. WILL SEE SHORTLY IF THAT HELPS.
    >    — Go to Accounts > Set Up Transaction Download…, select the Already Set Up tab and verify no BofA accounts appear.
    > DONE and Confirmed
    >    — Likewise, open Windows > Account Status to verify that there are no longer any BofA accounts appearing in this list.
    > THE PRIOR ACCOUNT STATUS WITH THE ERRORS SHOW and IT STILL SHOWS 3 OF THOSE ERRORS BUT FROM 30 MINUTES EARLIER EVEN THOUGH THOSE ACCOUNTS ARE DEACTIVATED. SEE SCREENSHOT.

>>> It is critical that ALL BofA accounts are deactivated, even Hidden and Separate accounts.
    > THEY ARE
    > 3) Go to Quicken Preferences > Connected Services. Under the Cloud Account section: click on the link appearing within the text “Click Reset to start the process”.
    >
    >    — Let the Reset procedure run for a while, to ensure it has completed.
    > DONE, I KNOW FROM THE PAST THIS CAN TAKE QUITE AWHILE
    > 4) Run Update All Online Accounts.
    > DONE
    >    --- Are all errors gone? They should be.
    > I STILL GET THE SAME 3 ERRORS AS IN THE 7:25 AM SCREENSHOT
    >    --- If there are any errors, or other unexpected behavior, then these need to be investigated.
    > SO I HAVE STOPPED HERE NOW.
    > 5) Add a NEW account in Quicken for each BofA account and activate it for downloading.
    >
    >    In the initial Add … Account dialog
    >
    >    — Click on the My bank is not in the list (found at the bottom of the window)
    >
    >    In the “n Accounts Found” dialog
    >
    >    — Choose Action = Add for each account at BofA.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >    — Did all the BofA accounts appear in the linking list. If not, that is a problem.
    >
    >    --- Run Update All Online Accounts.
    >
    >    --- Are there any errors now?
    >
    >    --- Have recent transactions downloaded?
    >
    > 6) In each old BofA account in Quicken, select old transactions and drag/drop them on the name of the corresponding new account.
    >
    >    --- Avoid selecting old transactions that match transactions already downloaded into the new accounts. This avoids duplicates.
    >
    > 7) Run Update All Online Accounts.
    >
    >    --- Any errors?
    >
    > 8) Compare current BofA statement to the Quicken account. Perhaps do a Reconcile.
    >
    > 9) Delete the old BofA accounts in Quicken - once everything appears correct.
    >
    >    --- Or, mark the old accounts as Separate or Closed.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > In reviewing the history of “Unsupported URL” errors posted in the Quicken Community, there seems to be several common suggestions:
    >
    > 1) that the wrong Financial Institution selection may have been made when setting up the account for downloading. I am hoping that that is not the case here - but it could be.
    >
    > 2) that the solution that works is to deactivate and reactivate. The procedure above addresses this solution.
    >
    > 3) there is one more step to the deactivate / reactivate procedure: it is suggested that relevant Keychain entries be deleted before reactivating. Seems unnecessary to me.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Other assumptions:
    >
    > 1) Mobile & Web Sync is turned OFF. (Quicken Preferences > Mobile, Web & Alerts tab)
    YES IT IS TURNED OFF
  • BJL
    BJL Mac Beta Beta
    Thank you again. I had essentially done all of that but will do it again step by step as you suggested and post my results inline below as well as a screenshot.

> @lhossus said:
    > I am going to again present my procedure, with a few additions (e. g., step 3). 
    >
    > I suggest this procedure be followed exactly. Then provide feedback on how each step behaves. I have indicated in the procedure where a key observation should be made, to verify that the procedure has been executed correctly and that it is behaving as expected.
    >
    > 1) Make a backup of the Quicken Data File - just in case the results are unsatisfactory.
    > DONE
    > 2) Deactivate all Quicken accounts associated with Bank of America (BofA).
    > DONE
    >    --- Go to Accounts > Hide and Show Accounts to verify ALL accounts are deactivated by sorting this list by Financial Institution and looking for Bank of America.
    > I DID FIND ONE HIDDEN ACCOUNT THAT WAS NOT DEACTIVATED. NOW ALL ARE. WE'LL SEE IF THAT ADDRESSES THE ISSUE
    >    — Go to Accounts > Set Up Transaction Download…, select the Already Set Up tab and verify no BofA accounts appear.
    > CONFIRMED NONE APPEAR
    >    — Likewise, open Windows > Account Status to verify that there are no longer any BofA accounts appearing in this list.
    > I AM STILL SEEING ERRORS ON 3 OF THE BOFA ACCOUNTS WHICH PER SCREENSHOT ATTACHED

Hidden and Separate accounts.
    >
    > 3) Go to Quicken Preferences > Connected Services. Under the Cloud Account section: click on the link appearing within the text “Click Reset to start the process”.
    > DONE
    >    — Let the Reset procedure run for a while, to ensure it has completed.
    > AS I KNOW FROM BEFORE THIS TAKES QUITE AWHILE
    > 4) Run Update All Online Accounts.
    >
    >    --- Are all errors gone? They should be.
    >
    >    --- If there are any errors, or other unexpected behavior, then these need to be investigated.
    > SAME ERRORS AS 7:25 AM SCREENSHOT. SO I HAVE STOPPED HERE. AND YES MOBILE AND WEB SYNC IS TURNED OFF

> 5) Add a NEW account in Quicken for each BofA account and activate it for downloading.
    >
    >    In the initial Add … Account dialog
    >
    >    — Click on the My bank is not in the list (found at the bottom of the window)
    >
    >    In the “n Accounts Found” dialog
    >
    >    — Choose Action = Add for each account at BofA.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    >    — Did all the BofA accounts appear in the linking list. If not, that is a problem.
    >
    >    --- Run Update All Online Accounts.
    >
    >    --- Are there any errors now?
    >
    >    --- Have recent transactions downloaded?
    >
    > 6) In each old BofA account in Quicken, select old transactions and drag/drop them on the name of the corresponding new account.
    >
    >    --- Avoid selecting old transactions that match transactions already downloaded into the new accounts. This avoids duplicates.
    >
    > 7) Run Update All Online Accounts.
    >
    >    --- Any errors?
    >
    > 8) Compare current BofA statement to the Quicken account. Perhaps do a Reconcile.
    >
    > 9) Delete the old BofA accounts in Quicken - once everything appears correct.
    >
    >    --- Or, mark the old accounts as Separate or Closed.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > In reviewing the history of “Unsupported URL” errors posted in the Quicken Community, there seems to be several common suggestions:
    >
    > 1) that the wrong Financial Institution selection may have been made when setting up the account for downloading. I am hoping that that is not the case here - but it could be.
    >
    > 2) that the solution that works is to deactivate and reactivate. The procedure above addresses this solution.
    >
    > 3) there is one more step to the deactivate / reactivate procedure: it is suggested that relevant Keychain entries be deleted before reactivating. Seems unnecessary to me.
    >
    >
    >
    >
    > Other assumptions:
    >
    > 1) Mobile & Web Sync is turned OFF. (Quicken Preferences > Mobile, Web & Alerts tab)
  • lhossus
    At this point there a several things I would recommend doing:

1) Use the in-program Help > Report a Problem. If at all possible, include a Sanitized data file so they can see what kind of "corruption" is present in the data file. Include in the problem description a reference to this thread in the Quicken Community (URL: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7879764/could-not-connect-unsupported-url-bofa-q-mac).

2) Double check the state of each of the Bank of America accounts:
      a) in Settings, what is the Connection Type?; OR
      b) does Settings say "Set up transaction download?;
      c) what does Accounts > Set Up Transaction Download say about the BofA accounts (are they all under Get Connected, or are some under Already Set Up?
      d) Does Accounts > Hide and Show Account... reveal anything unusual about these accounts, like an entry under Financial Institution.

The three accounts in the latest screenshot seem to be in a half-activated state: They appear in the Account Status list, but there is no entry under the Action column.

3) I have a suggestion that might do the trick. I am going to sketch it out here (as I don't have a lot of time) and hope you can flesh out any details. It is almost the same as the previous procedure I described, except we are going to delete the old accounts before activating the new accounts for downloads.

a) Back up the data file.

b) Create new Quicken accounts for each of the five old BofA accounts. Do not activate them for download but rather set them up for MANUAL transaction entry.

c) Move all transactions for each old account to the corresponding new account - using select, drag and drop. Then check your work to see if account balance is correct and the number of transactions matches and etc.

d) Delete ALL the old BofA accounts.

--- is there now any trace of the old accounts, in Account Status, Hide & Show Accounts, or Set Up Transaction Download?

e) Run an Update All Online Accounts.

--- Any errors? Hopefully not, as the old accounts are deleted, and the new accounts are not yet activated?

e) Activate transaction download. 

f) You probably will have duplicate transactions for the last 90 days. That is a small price to pay if it solves the bigger problem. 
  • BJL
    BJL Mac Beta Beta
    Thank you for spending so much time trying to help.

SEE BELOW:

> <a rel="nofollow" href="https://community.quicken.com/profile/lhossus">@lhossus<;/a> said:

> At this point there a several things I would recommend doing:

>

> 1) Use the in-program Help > Report a Problem. If at all possible, include a Sanitized data file so they can see what kind of "corruption" is present in the data file. Include in the problem description a reference to this thread in the Quicken Community (URL: <a rel="nofollow" href="https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7879764/could-not-connect-unsupported-url-bofa-q-mac)" title="Link: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7879764/could-not-connect-unsupported-url-bofa-q-mac)">https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7879764/could-not-connect-unsupported-url-bofa-q-mac)</a>.

I WILL TRY AGAIN LATER TO SANITIZE AS THE FIRST TIME IT JUST NEVER ENDS AND IN FORCE CLOSE IT SHOWED AS QUICKEN NOT RESPONDING. SO FOR THE MOMENT I SENT THE REPORT WITH A LINK TO THIS THREAD AND A SCREENSHOT OF I SENT WITH THOSE 3 ACCOUNTS THAT SEEM TO BE HALF-ACTIVATED

> 2) Double check the state of each of the Bank of America accounts:

>   a) in Settings, what is the Connection Type?; OR

ALL SHOW AS QUICKEN CONNECT

>   b) does Settings say "Set up transaction download?;

NO AS THEY ARE NOT DEACTIVATED AT THE MOMENT.

>   c) what does Accounts > Set Up Transaction Download say about the BofA accounts (are they all under Get Connected, or are some under Already Set Up?

ALREADY SET UP

>   d) Does Accounts > Hide and Show Account... reveal anything unusual about these accounts, like an entry under Financial Institution.

THEY ALL SHOW AS Bank of America - Quicken, EXCEPT THAT ONE HIDDEN ACCOUNT THAT WAS STILL ACTIVATED SHOWS NOTHING UNDER THE FINANCIAL INSTITUTION.

>

> The three accounts in the latest screenshot seem to be in a half-activated state: They appear in the Account Status list, but there is no entry under the Action column.

>

> 3) I have a suggestion that might do the trick. I am going to sketch it out here (as I don't have a lot of time) and hope you can flesh out any details. It is almost the same as the previous procedure I described, except we are going to delete the old accounts before activating the new accounts for downloads.

>

> a) Back up the data file.

>

> b) Create new Quicken accounts for each of the five old BofA accounts. Do not activate them for download but rather set them up for MANUAL transaction entry.

>

> c) Move all transactions for each old account to the corresponding new account - using select, drag and drop. Then check your work to see if account balance is correct and the number of transactions matches and etc.

IF I GO TO MOVE THEM ALL I GET THE CIRCLE WITH X, IF I GO TO MOVE THEM IN BATCHES IT SEEMS TO ALLOW TO MOVE. MAYBE IS TOO MANY? IN ONE SO NOT SO HIGH ACTIVITY ACCOUNT THERE ARE 2301 ENTRIES TO MOVE. FOR THE MOMENT I HAVE STOPPED HERE.

>

> d) Delete ALL the old BofA accounts.

>

>    --- is there now any trace of the old accounts, in Account Status, Hide & Show Accounts, or Set Up Transaction Download?

>

> e) Run an Update All Online Accounts.

>

>    --- Any errors? Hopefully not, as the old accounts are deleted, and the new accounts are not yet activated?

>

> e) Activate transaction download. 

>

> f) You probably will have duplicate transactions for the last 90 days. That is a small price to pay if it solves the bigger problem. 
  • lhossus
    Apologies, @BJL. I have apparently deleted your last post. I was trying to add some whitespace for readability - and it disappeared. I am posting it below.

BJL
    said at 8:03AM ET:

Thank you for spending so much time trying to help.

SEE BELOW:

@lhossus said:

> At this point there a several things I would recommend doing:

>

> 1) Use the in-program Help > Report a Problem. If at all possible, include a Sanitized data file so they can see what kind of "corruption" is present in the data file. Include in the problem description a reference to this thread in the Quicken Community (URL: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7879764/could-not-connect-unsupported-url-bofa-q-mac).

> I WILL TRY AGAIN LATER TO SANITIZE AS THE FIRST TIME IT JUST NEVER ENDS AND IN FORCE CLOSE IT SHOWED AS QUICKEN NOT RESPONDING. SO FOR THE MOMENT I SENT THE REPORT WITH A LINK TO THIS THREAD AND A SCREENSHOT OF I SENT WITH THOSE 3 ACCOUNTS THAT SEEM TO BE HALF-ACTIVATED

>   c) what does Accounts > Set Up Transaction Download say about the BofA accounts (are they all under Get Connected, or are some under Already Set Up? 

ALREADY SET UP

>   d) Does Accounts > Hide and Show Account... reveal anything unusual about these accounts, like an entry under Financial Institution. 

THEY ALL SHOW AS Bank of America - Quicken, EXCEPT THAT ONE HIDDEN ACCOUNT THAT WAS STILL ACTIVATED SHOWS NOTHING UNDER THE FINANCIAL INSTITUTION.

>

> The three accounts in the latest screenshot seem to be in a half-activated state: They appear in the Account Status list, but there is no entry under the Action column.

>

> 3) I have a suggestion that might do the trick. I am going to sketch it out here (as I don't have a lot of time) and hope you can flesh out any details. It is almost the same as the previous procedure I described, except we are going to delete the old accounts before activating the new accounts for downloads.

>

> a) Back up the data file.

>

> b) Create new Quicken accounts for each of the five old BofA accounts. Do not activate them for download but rather set them up for MANUAL transaction entry.

>

> c) Move all transactions for each old account to the corresponding new account - using select, drag and drop. Then check your work to see if account balance is correct and the number of transactions matches and etc. 

IF I GO TO MOVE THEM ALL I GET THE CIRCLE WITH X, IF I GO TO MOVE THEM IN BATCHES IT SEEMS TO ALLOW TO MOVE. MAYBE IS TOO MANY? IN ONE SO NOT SO HIGH ACTIVITY ACCOUNT THERE ARE 2301 ENTRIES TO MOVE. FOR THE MOMENT I HAVE STOPPED HERE.

>

> d) Delete ALL the old BofA accounts.

>

>    --- is there now any trace of the old accounts, in Account Status, Hide & Show Accounts, or Set Up Transaction Download?

>

> e) Run an Update All Online Accounts.

>

>    --- Any errors? Hopefully not, as the old accounts are deleted, and the new accounts are not yet activated?

>

> e) Activate transaction download. 

>

> f) You probably will have duplicate transactions for the last 90 days. That is a small price to pay if it solves the bigger problem. 

• lhossus
    edited August 2020
    BJL said at 8:03AM ET:

ALREADY SET UP

I wrote my latest procedure assuming the data file was in the state of your previous post:

That is, in step 2 all Quicken accounts associated with Bank of America (BofA) were deactivated, and then by several means, it was verified that those accounts were deactivated.

• BJL
    BJL Mac Beta Beta
    Thank you again. I heard from Quicken directly and they had me do another data reset (which I had done before) but lo and behold all is working finally now after months and months. I did also notice that Quicken did an update as well this morning to the desktop app so not sure if that contributed to this as well but all is good.

I thank you again, and now I don't know what I'll do with all my free time! 😀
  • J. Holmes
    J. Holmes Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Wow, I have been experiencing this same issue for over a year now with my Citi accounts.  Considering the transactions download correctly, I have been ignoring the error messages hoping that the problem would eventually resolve itself.  

Today, I decided to search the Community to determine if there were any conversations around the issue.  Attached are the error messages I receive.  However, again--although I see the error messages, transactions successfully download.  

My checking & line of credit accounts are set up via Quicken Connect while my credit card account is setup via Direct Connect.  I have gone through he motions of changing everything to Quicken Connect or Direct Connect to no avail.  

@BJL - Can you share the steps you used to complete the data reset?

• BJL
    BJL Mac Beta Beta
    edited August 2020 Answer ✓
    Sure. Here is what finally worked for me (although I still do get sometimes a request to send a code to my mobile on one of the accounts):

While I had done the data reset many many times, this time it worked following the below. Note also the data reset can take 15 minutes are so to reset and resync.

1. Disable download the problematic accounts (you can do this by editing the account settings)
    2. Perform a dataset reset (go to Quicken > Preferences > Connected Services; click the Reset button)
    3. Add a new account (using the + icon at the top of the sidebar)
    4. Choose CitiBank, provide login info, etc
    5. Link the ‘found account(s)’ to the appropriate account(s) in Quicken

I still did do a Quicken Connect to my bank. One thing I did notice however was before I tried to relink the accounts I guess it automatically does a data sync and I still got that same error on 3 of the 5 accounts even though they were no longer linked. So then I did another sync (before I re-activated) and was without error. After which I then reactivated the accounts and all is good. Except as I mention that on one of the accounts it sends a code to my phone the next time I sync if its been several more hours.

Let me know if it works for you as well.

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.