Why do I have to enter my password when I open my Quicken? (edited)

The past couple times I've opened Quicken Premier on my desktop, I've had to enter my password. Can anyone tell me why? There haven't been any updates so I'm bewildered.

Best Answers

Answers

• TomM
    TomM Member ✭✭
    Since the most recent "update" (of which we have no idea what they have done, nor do they ever tell us), Quicken is now asking for my password every time I start the app. (Win 7). When I enter the password it clocks to infinity. I have to click the password dialog screen about 8 times to get rid of it. Then Quicken runs normally. What's up Quicken? Any other time it asks for a password, it works.
  • thecreator
    thecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @TomM ,

I would suggest that you upgrade to Windows 10, because Quicken Subscription is no longer guarantee to run in Windows 7.

Or buy a new Computer for use with Quicken, or create a partition on a Desktop or Laptop Computer and run your computer in a Dual-Boot Configuration.

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R53.16 USA

Windows 10 Pro 32-Bit Build 19045.3693
    Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19045.3754

• Brian Biggs
    Brian Biggs Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    [Removed-Argumentative]

I am having the same issue described by @TomM and @ejbucknell. Started yesterday. I know Quicken updated itself within the last few days.

Once I cancel the Quicken password prompt window, I get a message telling me that my subscription has expired. I can click OK or Renew. OK takes me back to Quicken. I tried One Step Update and was prompted for my vault password as usual. I can go to Help -> Check Membership Status and I get the message "Your membership is up to date". I never did actually re-enter my Quicken account password.

I am running the latest version of Windows 10.

Quicken Deluxe, Version R49.29, Build 27.1.49.29
    Windows 10 Version 22H2 (OS Build 19045.2965)

• TomM
    TomM Member ✭✭
    It get's worse now. This morning I tried opening Quicken. I got the screen I was looking for but it went away and a Bugblaster dialog came up that wants me to send information to Bugblaster. I am thinking that this is malware. But I've looked into my app data and see this app in a Quicken directory. I'm still not satisfied that this isn't malware. Wouldn't you think that Quicken would tell us if they had installed such software? All my problems have appeared since the last update...
  • Brian Biggs
    Brian Biggs Member ✭✭✭✭
    Comment in my last post was removed for being "argumentative". :D

I left Quicken open overnight two nights ago. Trying to just look at it the next morning locked my computer up. Quicken was "not responding". I had to use Task Manager to kill qw.exe. Computer came back to life.

Started Quicken. Prompted once again for the Quicken account password. If I had been offline or been otherwise unable to provide my password, there appeared to be no way for me to access my data in Quicken. That's probably unacceptable. I should be able to access MY data in Quicken whether or not my Quicken ID has been "verified" or "validated" or my membership is valid or not. I did supply the password and it accepted it the first time.

Closed Quicken and opened it back up. I was NOT prompted for my Quicken password again. Worked again this morning. So we appear to be OK for the time being.

• Howard Hoffman
    Howard Hoffman Member ✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Was fine Monday. Today it asked me to enter Quicken ID Password. I did and it stuck at hourglass.

Password is correct -- I killed it and tried wrong password and it says it's incorrect.

What can I do?
  • Howard Hoffman
    Howard Hoffman Member ✭✭
    At least 10 times already. Still no go
  • Howard Hoffman
    Howard Hoffman Member ✭✭
    If I keep cancelling the sign it, the dialog will disappear. But it will say my membership has expired. So I can't update or anything
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Have you tried signing out and back in again with your Quicken ID?
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • Howard Hoffman
    Howard Hoffman Member ✭✭
    Looks like the problem is with qwSubprocess.exe. Had to kill it. Is it a new exe? Have not seen it before
  • Brian Biggs
    Brian Biggs Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Aaaannnd we're back to being prompted for the Quicken ID password again and Quicken locking up. :( :s

Canceled the spinning box a couple of times. Went through Help -> Check Membership Status a couple of times, and eventually it figured out I was a valid user with a valid membership. I never did enter my password.

Quicken, please figure this out!

• lemme14
    lemme14 Member ✭✭
    Same problem here. Keeps asking for Quicken ID and then just spins and spins.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello all,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you are having trouble signing in.

If you haven't done so already, please attempt to sign out and sign back in.

To sign out:
    1. Go to the Edit menu > Preferences > Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts and click the "Sign in as a different user" link on the right side of the window.  
    2. In the dialogue window that opens, type "yes" in the box to confirm you want to sign out.
    3. Sign back into Quicken when presented with the sign-in window.
    Please note, that you may need to close the sign-in windows several times before you may access the edit menu.

Please let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • MSStateDawg
    MSStateDawg Member ✭✭✭✭
    This started after updating to R28.23 this morning.
  • thecreator

I just updated to R28.23. just now. then I closed and re-opened Quicken with no requirement to enter my Quicken ID and password.

My location to my Data File is: I:\My Documents\Quicken 2020 Data

It is not located within my Windows 10 operating system partition, but within the computer itself.

If your Quicken installation and its Data File, is internal to the computer, I would reinstall Quicken, according to this procedure:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions 

However, it is up to you.

• MSStateDawg
    MSStateDawg Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @thecreator said:
    > Hi @Cris Williams ,
    > I just updated to R28.23. just now. then I closed and re-opened Quicken with no requirement to enter my Quicken ID and password.
    > My location to my Data File is: I:\My Documents\Quicken 2020 Data
    > It is not located within my Windows 10 operating system partition, but within the computer itself.
    > See this FAQ:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7307115/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-how-you-are-connected-to-the-internet 
    > If
    > your Quicken installation and its Data File, is internal to the
    > computer, I would reinstall Quicken, according to this procedure:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions 
    > However, it is up to you.

Thanks. I closed and reopened Quicken three times. Still occurring.

Are you suggesting I do a full uninstall and reinstall to fix and issue they just introduced with an update?
  • Scott Baines
    Scott Baines Member ✭✭✭
    i'm having the same issue that since i updated to R28.23 i'm being prompted for my quicken password when i start quicken.
  • Scott Baines
    Scott Baines Member ✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Since updating quicken to R28.23 on 8/27, i'm being prompted to enter quicken password when i start quicken. Why?
  • Greg_the_Geek
    Greg_the_Geek SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    As posted by @Quicken_Tyka

If you haven't done so already, please attempt to sign out and sign back in.

To sign out:
    1. Go to the Edit menu > Preferences > Quicken ID & Cloud Accounts and click the "Sign in as a different user" link on the right side of the window.  
    2. In the dialogue window that opens, type "yes" in the box to confirm you want to sign out.
    3. Sign back into Quicken when presented with the sign-in window.
    Please note, that you may need to close the sign-in windows several times before you may access the edit menu.
    Quicken Subscription HBRP - Windows 10
  • splasher
    splasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭

-splasher using Q continuously since 1996
    - Subscription Quicken - Win11 and QW2013 - Win11
    -Questions? Check out the Quicken Windows FAQ list

• thecreator

Yes, if a reboot of Quicken, does not work.

Virtually the same as @Quicken_Tyka

If you can't get to Edit then Preferences, then you need to follow my procedure. My procedure is virtually the same as Quicken's, but there is no need to actually reboot or rename. Once you get the hang of it, it is a lot faster than Quicken's approach.

If you can't sign in, you can't even Close Quicken, you need to use Windows' Task Manager to End Task.

• Scott Baines
    Scott Baines Member ✭✭✭
    thanks for the feedback, i was able to signout and sign back in but the problem still exists. It's related to the update r28.23 that came out today
  • thecreator
    Hi @""Scott Baines" ,

Since a reboot of Quicken does not solve the problem, then follow my Comments to
    @Cris Williams above. There is nothing wrong with R28.23 patch.

I updated to that patch today and close and re-open Quicken and did not have to enter any passwords.

• Clumper
    Clumper Member
    I've been having the same log in issues and it's been happening for at least the past week. When I finally 'X' through the ID entry enough times to get to my data it shows that I'm using "Quicken Home, Business, and Rental Property" rather than the "Deluxe" version I subscribe to.

I'm on release 28.18.

I'll read through this long string and see if there is anything that makes this issue go away, but I'm hoping I don't have to jump through a bunch of hoops to resolve it.
  • Scott Baines
    Scott Baines Member ✭✭✭
    after 2 hours with support we have proven that it is in fact the R28.23 patch that i causing the issue. If you have a password on your data file, you will get prompted for the quicken id/password when you open quicken, if you remove the password on the data file it works fine. Support is reporting this to development.
  • chedgeco
    chedgeco Member ✭✭
    When I start Quicken I am now being forced to login to "Enter Data File Password" and login to "Quicken Online". The passwords and Id's are the same for both. This is reproducible every time I start Quicken. Updated this morning 8/27/2020.
    Version R28.23
    Build 27.1.28.23
    Windows 64 bit.
  • MSStateDawg
    MSStateDawg Member ✭✭✭✭
    > @Scott Baines said:
    > after 2 hours with support we have proven that it is in fact the R28.23 patch that i causing the issue. If you have a password on your data file, you will get prompted for the quicken id/password when you open quicken, if you remove the password on the data file it works fine. Support is reporting this to development.

Thank you, Scott. With the issue suddenly appearing immediately after the update, I had serious doubts that "there's nothing wrong with R28.23 patch." I appreciate you confirming the bug and letting us know.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    chedgeco said:
    When I start Quicken I am now being forced to login to "Enter Data File Password" and login to "Quicken Online". The passwords and Id's are the same for both. This is reproducible every time I start Quicken. Updated this morning 8/27/2020.
    Version R28.23
    Build 27.1.28.23
    Windows 64 bit.

If you have set a Quicken file password, you always need to enter the password when you open the file.

To access Online Services, we are required to provide the Quicken ID password to obtain a authentication certificate if the current certificate is not longer valid.  There are many reasons a certificate may become invalid.  For example, the certificate may have expired, we may have changed the Quicken ID, Quicken ID password, or IP address, or we may have signed out the device. 
  • Toolworker
    Toolworker Member ✭✭
    Quicken has started asking for my password every time it starts up. Is this something new, or is there a way to stop it?

I shouldn't have to enter a password to run a program I've paid for and installed. And since I'm using secure passwords on accounts like Quicken, there's no way I can remember it without looking it up.
This discussion has been closed.