Dropdown in Security Detail View not functioning after update

After updating to version R28.10, the dropdown in Security Detail View not listed all securities as before update. Need to close the windows and again click another security to display the detail.
Very annoying the step.
Please fix.

Answers

• NordinKa
    NordinKa Member ✭✭
    Also, the windows cannot be close in maximize mode. Need to restore to original state before close.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @NordinKa

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a response. 

May I ask that you provide a few more details to explain where you are seeing this issue?

Is this happening on specific security or somewhere else?

Please let me know!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    Rocket J Squirrel SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am seeing this also on every security. The dropdown menu does not open at all. I can use the up/down arrow keys to change the security, but the mouse doesn't work.
    I can only guess that Quicken obtained a new, inexperienced programmer who was turned loose on this dialog as a small first project. In addition to the cosmetics changing for no apparent reason, 3 things are screwed up.
    • The menu is broken.
    • The graphs changed from relative origin to zero origin with no option to choose.
    • The transaction history now shows only 5 entries even at maximum dialog height. On my 1080 pixel high screen, it formerly showed 9 entries at maximum height.
    I am not seeing this:
    Also, the windows cannot be close in maximize mode. Need to restore to original state before close.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @NordinKa and @Rocket J Squirrel

I do not see any issues with the dropdown menu on my file. I am also able to close the screen no matter the size.

If transaction history, is meaning the register of the account, I also do not see the limit of 5 transactions.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I think the 5 transaction limit they are referring to is the area of the view that is partially hidden by the dropdown in your screenshot. This shows all the transactions for the security, regardless of the account they are in.

In R27.42, this region grows and shrinks in proportion to the height of the window. On my screen if the window is full height there is room for 10 transactions.

In your screenshot, there is only room for 5 transactions.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited August 2020
    I have tried this on 2 different Win10 Pro machines running R28.10 with the same result. See screen shots. One is of the dialog prior to clicking the pulldown menu. The other is of the dialog after attempting to pull down the menu. The only visible change is that the lone visible menu item is un-highlighted and a new bold line appears under the buttons. The menu does not open.

Re the 5 transactions, Jim is right, I'm talking about the ones under "Transaction history" in the dialog as I specified in my prior post. This area no longer stretches if the dialog's height is increased.

Quicken user since version 2 for DOS, now using QWin Biz & Personal Subscription (US) on Win10 Pro.

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @Rocket J Squirrel, I wonder if this is a new file/old file issue. Do you see the same problem with the drop-down on a new test file?
    QWin Premier subscription
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Not seeing this on a 15 year old file.  Win 10 Home, 2004, 19041.423
  • markus1957
    markus1957 SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    Have you run a validate or super-validate?  Checked the qw.log file?  Possibly the query rendering the list is failing.

QCleanUI reinstall with folder deletion would be my next step.
  • Garyggo
    Garyggo Member ✭✭
    I did a validate with no results, I think even if you do a reinstall when you update security prices the problem will return. As I stated above I reloaded a saved file from before the update and it worked fine until I did the update, I thought of the reinstall but would rather not do unless I have too, thanks for the reply markus1957.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited August 2020
    Neither supervalidation nor QCleanUI + reinstallation had any effect on this new bug.
    I can reproduce it in new test files also.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Rolling back to a previous version fixes the problem. I had the mondo for R22.12 sitting around on my test machine and ran it. Now the security pulldown list opens fine.

• NordinKa
    NordinKa Member ✭✭
    The detail bug as screenshot by Rocket J Squirrel.
    It is wise to rollback to previous version without affecting the data?
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    edited August 2020
    NordinKa said:
    The detail bug as screenshot by Rocket J Squirrel.
    It is wise to rollback to previous version without affecting the data?
    I'm going to run R27.42 on my test machine for a few days using my same data file. I doubt there will be any ill effects. If all goes well, I'll roll back my production machine also. I'd rather not live with the bugs in R28.10. These are definitely program bugs rather than file corruption.

• smutschler
    smutschler Member ✭✭
    edited August 2020
    This is a definite bug. I am seeing the same problem since the 28.10 update. I am now running 28.16 and the problem remains. Bug: In the Security Detail View, the dropdown control containing the securities list (allowing selection of a different security) no longer expands (no longer opens). Clicking on the dropdown arrow merely causes a black horizontal line to appear across the window, just below the control, where you'd expect to see the top border of the expanded dropdown list.

ADDED BEHAVIOR NOTE: When the dropdown is clicked and the black line appears, the cursor is actually moved into the dropdown list (invisible as it is)! THE BLACK LINE IS APPARENTLY THE DROPDOWN LIST, just not expanded. When the black line appears, YOU CAN SCROLL up and down the list using the up and down directional keys on your keyboard. The displayed item in the text box will change as you do. Pressing the ENTER key will switch the window to the displayed security (removing the BLACK LINE which we now know is really the unexpanded dropdown list).
  • Hello All,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community and share your feedback and experiences regarding this issue, although I apologize that I am unable to replicate this behavior in Quicken.

At this time, I would suggest reporting the problem via the Help>Report a problem menu. This will provide our Teams with the necessary data to begin investigating.

Please be sure to leave all boxes checked, as well as include a description of the issue that's occurring.

Thank you,

Quicken Natalie

• smutschler
    smutschler Member ✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Will report as problem, but wanted to leave one more note here. I have Quicken 28.18 on 2 different Win10 machines. Only one is showing this problem. This bug has apparently been around a long while; it was reported as far back as Q2009; see: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7083014/security-detail-view-stuck

A re-install may help? Will let you all know.

UPDATE: On my computer having this problem, I did a full un-install and re-install of R28.18. The problem remains. While both my computers are Windows 10 Pro, the one with this Quicken bug was an in-place upgrade to Win10 from Win7 (their free upgrade back when they offered it). I am betting this bug has to do with configuration of installed libraries -- like Microsoft "Visual C++",
    DOT-NET (.NET), or perhaps a Quicken-authored DLL.
  • NordinKa
    NordinKa Member ✭✭
    I'm trying the newly QW27.1.28.23 to get rid of this problem. Will update the result soon.
  • NordinKa
    NordinKa Member ✭✭
    Issue not fix in newly released as above.
  • Rocket J Squirrel
    I have reported this as a bug. I can't disclose details of beta due to NDA, but I can say with certainty this bug is not related to the data in the QDF file.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    THE BLACK LINE IS APPARENTLY THE DROPDOWN LIST, just not expanded.
    I can confirm this. I have 2 files, one of which has very long security names and the other doesn't. The length of bold black line is what the width of the menu should be in both files.

• Rocket J Squirrel
    Will report as problem, but wanted to leave one more note here. I have Quicken 28.18 on 2 different Win10 machines. Only one is showing this problem. This bug has apparently been around a long while; it was reported as far back as Q2009; see: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7083014/security-detail-view-stuck

A re-install may help? Will let you all know.

UPDATE: On my computer having this problem, I did a full un-install and re-install of R28.18. The problem remains. While both my computers are Windows 10 Pro, the one with this Quicken bug was an in-place upgrade to Win10 from Win7 (their free upgrade back when they offered it). I am betting this bug has to do with configuration of installed libraries -- like Microsoft "Visual C++",
    DOT-NET (.NET), or perhaps a Quicken-authored DLL.
    Just like you, I have 2 Windows 10 PCs, one of which was updated from Windows 7 and one of which was new with Windows 10 pre-installed. I see the dropdown list bug on both machines.

• I have this problem also. It appeared with R28.16. I'm currently running R28.28 (Build 27.1.28.28). I'm using 64-bit Windows 10 Enterprise release 1909. For those of you who report that the drop-down is working, what release are you running and is it 32-bit or 64-bit?
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I am on version R28.24 and still have this issue.  Are any others on R28.24 seeing this problem?

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• 4rvarley
    4rvarley Member ✭✭✭
    This problem was first reported in this thread on Aug 6 and several folks here have left detailed description of the problem. I did not notice this until I did a search of Dividends and Reinvested Dividends in a mutual fund and found I could not access the fund because I do not own it anymore. I usually access a holding from Holdings button for a particular account or from the Investing Tab. But if you do not own it anymore it only shows up in the Security Detail View. Thanks to Rocket J Squirrel and Smutschler I am at least able to get the data i wanted by scrolling or typing the first letter of the holding.

But when is this going to be fixed? What is the status? I see the Moderator Quicken_Natalie suggested to report the issue via the Help>Report a problem menu. But how do we here in the Community know the status??
  • I've upgraded to R29.12 (Build 27.1.29.12) and the problem still exists. I've also reported this using the Help > Report a problem... option.

When Quicken changed to a subscription model, one of the justifications was that it would provide the revenue needed to deliver better support. We're rapidly approaching 2 months since this was first reported. I do know how difficult it is to fix a bug that the developers cannot duplicate, but as 4rvarley pointed out, there are users who are willing to work with the development staff. Some update from a Quicken employee would be much appreciated.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello all,

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to report this issue, although I apologize that this thread is lacking an official response.

This bug has been reported and is currently being researched, I do not have an ETA to provide at this time.

I will be sure to add any updates to this thread as soon as more information becomes available.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka

QWIN-18068
    ~~~***~~~
  • 4rvarley
    4rvarley Member ✭✭✭
    Quicken_Tyka Moderator
    Thanks for the information and appreciate any update you can share.
  • Steve54@
    Steve54@ Member ✭✭✭
    Upgraded to V29.20 and discovered this problem.