Which is my data file?

I was hacking around for an old transaction in very old data files - now not sure where to find current one. Am not sure what folder they're in - also not sure where backups are - I need basic guidance to make sure I open the correct file. Thanks, Tom

Answers

• RickO
    RickO SuperUser, Mac Beta Beta
    Did you look at menu File > Open Recent in Quicken?
    Quicken Mac Subscription; Quicken Mac user since the early 90s
  • Gotom
    Gotom Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks! My problem is my hacking left a trail into Recents - I think. Now I'm not sure how to recognize my file (in its Q2018 format). In fact I probably used Q2018 to try and open old files . .
  • Gotom
    Gotom Member ✭✭✭
    I don't know what a Sanitized data file is.
  • RickO
    A sanitized file is an anonymized file that you can create to send to Quicken Support to diagnose a problem. Probably not relevant here.

The default file location is HarDrive > Users > your username > Library > Application Support > Quicken. To get to the Library folder, click GO menu in the FInder with Option key held down. Hopefully you can figure out which is your original file there.
  • Gotom
    Gotom Member ✭✭✭
    Ok, the automatic backup wants a location to save the restored file - where should that go?
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    If you do auto backups routinely, there should be a BACKUP sub-folder in the current data file's directory containing several recent ,QDF-backup files.  Mine has 10 from August.

Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2023

• Gotom
    Gotom Member ✭✭✭
    It's proving hard to navigate to that folder - if I just dump it on the desktop will the next automatic backup go to the correct folder you're referring to?
  • Gotom
    Gotom Member ✭✭✭
    After putting on Desktop I can drag into that folder manually. But will the next automatic backup go to the correct folder you're referring to?
  • Gotom
    Gotom Member ✭✭✭
    or does it automatically go to the last place an automatic b.u. was stored?
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited August 2020
    My experience is that for automatic backups, Quicken creates a BACKUP sub-folder in whatever location the .QDF that is currently in use is stored.   You can specify the manual backup location but not the automatic backup location.  If you go to Edit, Preferences, Backup there is a link that will open the automatic backup folder currently being used (ie. the sub-folder in the most recently backed up data file location).  
     EDIT: I missed MAC in the header.  Hope my comments didn't confuse the issue.

Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2023

• Gotom
    Gotom Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you - I landed on the right file after a restore. I put the enforced copy
    on desktop due to nav challenge - but File or Edit (it swaps locations) has Show Backups in Finder which let me drag the file from desktop into automatic backups - this resulted in a warning screen see below - the next time I back up I hope Q will let specify the location. Meantime, I had to bring the file up to date, adding a few transactions that weren't included - I guess the program was in limbo or on old Q files. But all appears ok. Thank you both very much! Tom
  • Gotom
    Gotom Member ✭✭✭
    Oops - here's the warning.
  • RickO
    If you go to menu Quicken > Preferences > General, in the bottom right corner you'll see a button for "Backup Folder...". Use this button to specify where auto backups will go. The backup files will end with ".quickenbackup".

Your actual data file will end with ".quicken". To move your file, either wait until you quit Quicken and move it manually in the Finder (as the error message states). Or in Quicken, use menu File > Move To...

This discussion has been closed.