window size changes

Options
klokm
klokm Member
What solution is there for the lost window size?

Best Answer

Answers

• Quicken Anja
    Options
    Hello @klokm,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community and telling us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

If you don't mind, I will need some additional information in order to better assist you.

First, could you please provide which version release of Quicken you are running?
    • Help > About Quicken
    Also, could you please elaborate on what you mean by "lost window size"? Does the Quicken window seem distorted, have odd graphics, or any strange/inconsistent changes in font sizes?

Feel free to provide a screenshot as well. If you do decide to provide one but are unable to add a screenshot as an attachment, you can also drag and drop the image to your response instead. This will create a link for us to click on and allow us to view the screenshot.

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Quicken's application window size and position is maintained in the QUSER.INI file located in the users AppData\Roaming\Quicken\config folder.  I suggest you attempt to determine why Quicken is either not able to update the file with the current state of the application window or load the file when Quicken is starts.
  • Jim02143
    Jim02143 Member ✭✭
    Options
    I'm having the same irritating problem. On startup the window is much smaller than when I last used Quicken. This problem has come and gone, usually seems to recur after downloading a Quicken update.
    It doesn't help that rendering the window is much slower than just about any program I use, so it stutters as I drag the window corner to increase its size.
    I always exit by clicking on the X and QUSER.INI's "Date modified" show it is being written.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Jim02143 said:
    I'm having the same irritating problem. On startup the window is much smaller than when I last used Quicken. This problem has come and gone, usually seems to recur after downloading a Quicken update.
    It doesn't help that rendering the window is much slower than just about any program I use, so it stutters as I drag the window corner to increase its size.
    I always exit by clicking on the X and QUSER.INI's "Date modified" show it is being written.
    It wouldn't surprise me if allowing Quicken to apply an update caused Quicken to modify the application window size and position.  I tend to keep the Quicken window maximized which appears to mitigate the issue.
  • RebaFC
    RebaFC Member
    Options
    This is an insidious little bug. These lines appear to be what is in the QUSER.INI file to determine window size and position.

[Window]
    State=Normal
    Width=1204
    Height=767
    Left=0
    Top=0

If the Left value is changed to
    Left=-2
    the Quicken window will open in some small size near the middle of the screen.

How does the Left value get to be negative? It's a quirk of Windows. Just drag the Quicken window to the left edge of the screen and the position can easily be negative.
  • BradS
    BradS Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have R30.14.

It WAS a problem, then I read somewhere that (and I forget), the QUSER.INI that Width had to be less than or greater than Left. I THINK Width had to be greater, because I saved a copy with that relationship. I did that and never changed the size. Now it broke again; not sure if it recently updated (but I gave the revision above -- is that new?).

I keep it on the right size of my screen. I made it very wide so that Left was much below Width, I tried with it narrow enough that Left was greater than Width. Each time, exiting with the X changed the settings, BUT it again opened in the small window in/near the middle of the screen.

I just confirmed. The settings when I closed were good, then I opened and closed it again, it rewrote the window settings to match the small window somewhere in the middle of the screen.

Even with the kludge I mentioned, this is nonsense. When it worked, why did I have to keep it (assuming I wanted the right edge), to more than half a screen wide?

Final test: I aligned to the left edge so width had to be greater than left. Sure enough, it showed left=-1 (I actually expected 0). But still it opened in the small window.

This has been going on for years. Until this week or so, I was at least operating in the safe zone as long as I didn't resize my window.

WAIT! I got it. Not sure the magic formula, but I took the numbers from my saved copy, and it remembered.

SO it is a DEFINITE bug, but tweak the size settings and it works. Here are my numbers, and remember, I use the right size so it is dependent on my screen resolution, Here's what works (and it's flush right and top to bottom):

State=Normal
    Width=986
    Height=1040
    Left=932
    Top=0

As I said, another time when I had left less than width it still didn't work.

For me I'll just keep the saved settings, and if I had to resize it one time, I can restore from that saved one.

Still nonsense, but something to shoot for, If you don't want it flush right, and don't have a screen resolution (apparently 1918 pixels (I suspect it's actually 1920 -- maybe it's just off flush right but I'm not experimenting any more), then you have to play around to see what numbers work for you.
  • tired techie
    tired techie Member ✭✭
    Options
    Dear Quicken Dev/QA,

The "window size changes" defect still exists in R31.20.

Please remediate this annoying situation.

Thank you.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Dear Quicken Dev/QA,

The "window size changes" defect still exists in R31.20.

Please remediate this annoying situation.

Thank you.
    Quicken Dev/QA do not spend any time reviewing the posts in this community.
  • Chris_QPW
    Chris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Answer ✓
    Options
    If you want to send feedback to the developers, use: Help -> Report a problem
    Signature:
    This is my website: http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/
This discussion has been closed.