Mutual Fund Quotes Delayed/Not Updating

Comments

• NotACPA
    NotACPA SuperUser, Windows Beta Beta
    See the "Daily Performance Update Delays" at the top of this page: https://www.fmandi.com/
    For Fidelity funds, Fidelity themselves seem to be at fault ... not Q.

Q user since DOS version 5
    Now running Quicken Windows Subscription,  Home & Business
    Retired "Certified Information Systems Auditor" & Bank Audit VP
  • NotACPA
    edited September 2020 Accepted Answer
    See the "Daily Performance Update Delays" at the top of this page: https://www.fmandi.com/

• toma
    toma Member
    I've been using your product for decades, always working around issues as needed. Mutual fund updates are truly a very basic function that should have been addressed in hours (not weeks). I suggest at this juncture that you find new service providers, and hire a good JSON programmer to build the import functionality against multiple feeds so that you can control your own destiny. ... and your paying subscribers deserve better daily communication on this issue.
  • NotACPA
    toma said:
    I've been using your product for decades, always working around issues as needed. Mutual fund updates are truly a very basic function that should have been addressed in hours (not weeks). I suggest at this juncture that you find new service providers, and hire a good JSON programmer to build the import functionality against multiple feeds so that you can control your own destiny. ... and your paying subscribers deserve better daily communication on this issue.

How do you expect Q to fix a Fidelity problem?  What other service provider would have info that Fidelity hasn't released?
  • Snoopy75209
    Snoopy75209 Member ✭✭
    American Century
    Vanguard
    TRowePrice
    Fidelity

None are working for me. Thinking about switching to the free Persona Capital program and cancel Quicken subsription
  • lgent8
    lgent8 Member ✭✭
    I have had more problems with Quicken than ever before recently.
    It won't validate file, bugsplat, sign in fifty times a day, no mutual funds updating on a timely basis.
    Ridiculous to say the least.
    Tried mondo patch , uninstall, reinstall, then I find out it is Quickens fault, after wasting hours trying to fix the problems.
    I have used Quicken for years and years, had problems but this is the worst.
    Will not renew , it is not a good program anymore.
  • jdressel
    jdressel Member ✭✭
    > @NotACPA said:
    > (Quote)
    > How do you expect Q to fix a Fidelity problem?  What other service provider would have info that Fidelity hasn't released?

Not the first time I've seen Q blame the brokers for problems with Q software.
  • Ps56k2
    Ps56k2 SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    I think there is some other issue - outside of Quicken and its providers - going on.
    As I posted above.... 8/31 -
    Late last night I looked at one of my mutual funds as a test... PRHSX -
    I checked the price at - Yahoo Finance, Google Finance, and the fund website.
    So.... it would appear there is something going on with the pricing providers
    TRowe Mutual Fund website --> 91.53
    Yahoo ---> 91.53
    Google Finance --> 90.38
    Quicken --> 90.38
    Late at night - you should take one of your mutual funds, and go check prices -
    I'm going to take a look late at night across my holdings -
    Fidelity, TRowe, Vanguard -

and compare the prices from ... Yahoo vs Google vs Mutual Fund
    Quicken Subscription - Windows 10
  • NotACPA
    edited September 2020
    jdressel said:
    > @NotACPA said:
    > (Quote)
    > How do you expect Q to fix a Fidelity problem?  What other service provider would have info that Fidelity hasn't released?

Not the first time I've seen Q blame the brokers for problems with Q software.

See my post of 12;57pm in which a fund advisor, who specializes in Fidelity funds, says that Fidelity itself is causing delays.
    AND, obviously, you missed the point that I'm another Q user ... not a Q employee.  So HOW, in any way, is my post a "Q blame"???
  • I've been using Quicken for over 20 years. The inability of the new owner to repair the mutual fund quote download function in a timely manner is unacceptable! When my subscription runs out I will be looking for another product. Intuit never treated us this way.
  • eswenerton
    eswenerton Member ✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Since the nav's for mutual funds are available every evening before 5 PM EST and I am free to import them into quicken using CSV format, how hard would it be for Quicken to do the same for all symbols and save us the effort? Stop blaming the 3rd party companies and the brokers and use a little creative thinking! Have some low level schmuck export a daily CSV file (from Yahoo Finance?) and import same to your own data files- at least until you can fix the problem with your high end 3rd party company. Or suggest that the 3rd party company do this- not perfect but at least we will have updated quotes by 5 pm. What am I missing here?
  • NotACPA
    edited September 2020
    Since the nav's for mutual funds are available every evening before 5 PM EST [snip] What am I missing here?
    See my post of 12:57pm.  The NAV/Quotes AREN'T being made available that early ... at least not by Fidelity.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since the nav's for mutual funds are available every evening before 5 PM EST and I am free to import them into quicken using CSV format, how hard would it be for Quicken to do the same for all symbols and save us the effort? Stop blaming the 3rd party companies and the brokers and use a little creative thinking! Have some low level schmuck export a daily CSV file (from Yahoo Finance?) and import same to your own data files- at least until you can fix the problem with your high end 3rd party company. Or suggest that the 3rd party company do this- not perfect but at least we will have updated quotes by 5 pm. What am I missing here?
    What you're missing is Quicken Inc does not provide us the quotes.  The program pulls the quotes from a licensed service provider.  If the service provider doesn't have the quotes, the service provider cannot provide the quotes.  Figuring out why the quotes are not available at one specific provider may be simple.  Figuring out why some quotes are not available at some providers is more complicated.  

Quicken Inc. could negotiate a license to obtain the quotes from a different quote service provider but there really is no guarantee their performance will be any better.  

Note: There is no specific deadline for a mutual fund to provide its NAV.  In other words, each mutual fund determines when it will publish. Usually, most will publish by 6 pm EST and the quotes propagate relatively quickly thorough the various network of financial information service providers.  That is not what is happening for some funds.  For example, Fidelity Investments was certainly late last night.  

It having been the end of August, it's possible their has been scheduled maintenance after the market's closed (4 pm EST) that has interfered with the later distribution of mutual funds quotes across the network.  It could even be hackers preparing to interfere with the financial markets.  
  • Today I opened my Quicken software and found that the mutual funds quotes were updated at 4PM EST BUT they show multiple funds with as much as 90% losses for the day. This problem has been going on for about a month now. I called and was told that they were working on it. Do your self and all of us a favor and demand some compensation now that we have to pay yearly for this service.
  • NotACPA
    Mejstone said:
    Today I opened my Quicken software and found that the mutual funds quotes were updated at 4PM EST BUT they show multiple funds with as much as 90% losses for the day. This problem has been going on for about a month now. I called and was told that they were working on it. Do your self and all of us a favor and demand some compensation now that we have to pay yearly for this service.

Cite any specific fund, or a couple, so that we can see this for ourselves.
  • ple1958
    ple1958 Member
    Mutual fund quotes are not updating until the day after the last close date. This has been happening for over two weeks now. This prevents you from calculating your portfolio market value at the end of the day.
  • Drinkingbird
    Drinkingbird Member ✭✭✭
    NotACPA said:

Been checking my Fidelity funds on Yahoo finance daily and they are updated just after 6PM EST every day, which is normal.  It is possible that newsletter (not affiliated with Fidelity) is having their own issues.  This issue is not limited to Fidelity, I have vanguard, T.Rowe, Prudential, and many others.  None of them update until at least 10PM and most not until early the next morning in Quicken.
  • Gomer
    Gomer Member ✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Still not updating. I sent the CEO an email. [removed - violation of community guidelines]
  • Drinkingbird
    Drinkingbird Member ✭✭✭
    ps56k said:
    I think there is some other issue - outside of Quicken and its providers - going on.
    As I posted above.... 8/31 -
    Late last night I looked at one of my mutual funds as a test... PRHSX -
    I checked the price at - Yahoo Finance, Google Finance, and the fund website.
    So.... it would appear there is something going on with the pricing providers
    TRowe Mutual Fund website --> 91.53
    Yahoo ---> 91.53
    Google Finance --> 90.38
    Quicken --> 90.38
    Late at night - you should take one of your mutual funds, and go check prices -
    I'm going to take a look late at night across my holdings -
    Fidelity, TRowe, Vanguard -

and compare the prices from ... Yahoo vs Google vs Mutual Fund
    Ever since google redid their finance a couple years ago they started posting most mutual funds at 8PM.  No idea why.  I stopped using them long ago as the new version was pretty awful and hasn't gotten any better.  Yahoo always has them posted between 6 and 6:30.
  • Drinkingbird
    Drinkingbird Member ✭✭✭
    NotACPA said:
    Since the nav's for mutual funds are available every evening before 5 PM EST [snip] What am I missing here?
    See my post of 12:57pm.  The NAV/Quotes AREN'T being made available that early ... at least not by Fidelity.

Again, that newsletter, that has nothing to do with Fidelity, is saying THEY are having problems getting quotes.  Maybe they receive a file from Fidelity as a courtesy and they've been getting it late, but the quotes are updated at normal time on every other site out there.
  • No way this is a technical issue lasting this long. Only thing that makes sense is $$$$$.
  • Drinkingbird
    Drinkingbird Member ✭✭✭
    Sherlock said:
    What you're missing is Quicken Inc does not provide us the quotes.  The program pulls the quotes from a licensed service provider.  If the service provider doesn't have the quotes, the service provider cannot provide the quotes.  Figuring out why the quotes are not available at one specific provider may be simple.  Figuring out why some quotes are not available at some providers is more complicated.  

Quicken Inc. could negotiate a license to obtain the quotes from a different quote service provider but there really is no guarantee their performance will be any better.  

Note: There is no specific deadline for a mutual fund to provide its NAV.  In other words, each mutual fund determines when it will publish. Usually, most will publish by 6 pm EST and the quotes propagate relatively quickly thorough the various network of financial information service providers.  That is not what is happening for some funds.  For example, Fidelity Investments was certainly late last night.  

It having been the end of August, it's possible their has been scheduled maintenance after the market's closed (4 pm EST) that has interfered with the later distribution of mutual funds quotes across the network.  It could even be hackers preparing to interfere with the financial markets.  
    Quicken provides us the quotes.  We subscribe to Quicken.  How they get those quotes is their problem, not ours.  

I was able to pull my Fidelity quotes at 6:06PM last night online, which is normal time.

Note that no financial institution does any scheduled maintenance before 6PM and most are after 8PM or even weekends except for emergencies.  I work in the industry.  The main reason for this is end of day processing which includes NAV calculation/publishing, clearing and settlement of trades, etc.

While there is no specific deadline, the vast majority of MF companies consider it a failure to not have the NAVs published by 6PM EST (which will result in most financial sites having the data sometime between 6 and 6:30 depending on whether they have realtime or delayed .  If they aren't out by midnight they do face regulatory issues as well.  This goes back to the days when newspapers were the only source of quotes.  If you didn't have your NAVs to the paper by 6PM, the next day your symbol would just have "ZZZZ" next to it instead of a price.  That was considered a huge embarrassment, and the 6PM deadline just continued on as industry standard from then.
  • iclarius
    iclarius Windows Beta Beta
    edited September 2020
    I can not believe that Quicken is having such issues with such a VERY simple process. This 3rd party crap doesn't cut it. Quicken went to the subscription model and as a result, they SHOULD be providing that service and NOT making excuses that it is a 3rd party that is the problem. We DON'T pay a 3rd party. We pay QUICKEN and as such, Quicken needs to fix the problem.

FIX IT OR PROVIDE SOME SORT OF REFUND.
  • I've been a Quicken user from the beginning. Their current stance to blame the provider is totally unacceptable. The mutual fund pricing update has been an issue for more than two weeks.
  • dryfork
    dryfork Member ✭✭
    I emailed H.I.G. Capital, the company that owns them.
  • nert73
    nert73 Member
    I've been using Quicken for at least 15 years, closing mutual fund prices were always updated by two and a half hours after closing. Now prices are updated many hours later. is this what can be expected or is there an issue?
  • billiepug
    billiepug Member ✭✭
    Charles Schwab mutual funds are still not updating. It seems that whatever the problem is, there isn't anyone who can figure it out. I've been a Quicken user since the beginning and never have I seen a issue take so long to get a resolution. Saying they get with a 3rd party to provide the info is not our problem. Seems like the 3rd party should be fired and get the old provider back. I'm tired of updating my quotes manually.
  • cyberphile
    cyberphile Member ✭✭✭
    My experience has been that it usually took until about 9:30pm Pacific time for my mutual fund prices to update. I just sent a complaint to Eric Dunn, CEO of Quicken, about this long running issue. Let's see if he has been made aware and what his response will be.
  • Chuck77
    Chuck77 Member ✭✭
    For the last couple of weeks final investment quotes (after 4:30 PM EST) are not being updated. What is going on here? Is there anybody looking at this or are they asleep at the wheel?
  • I do not know who's problem this is but Barrons Market Watch is up to date now at 8:00 PM EDST. I'm paying for this !!!!!! Quicken needs to resolve the problem!!!!!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.