Track Daily Dow Movement

This discussion was created from comments split from: dow jones industrial and nasdaq indices won't download.

Comments

• How do I save the Dow day movement, Quicken portfolio includes Dow Ind but when I save, Print - save excel format, the daily portfolio the Dows day movement is not saved. The closing day quote is saved but not the daily change for the Dow. Quicken has been working on this for 12 yrs, based on the comments listed???
  • jtemplin
    jtemplin Member ✭✭✭✭
    I have the major indices in my watch list. Each of those indices is a security whose prices download and gets saved in each one's history. See the screen shots.

But if I follow you correctly, you're not going to see the indices in portfolio displays or reports. Why? Because you don't actually own shares of these indices. You're just tracking their prices.

Unless, of course, you own a mutual fund or ETF that tracks an index, but that's not the same as the index itself.

Are you confusing seeing indices in your watch list with your actual portfolio?
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How do I save the Dow day movement, Quicken portfolio includes Dow Ind but when I save, Print - save excel format, the daily portfolio the Dows day movement is not saved. The closing day quote is saved but not the daily change for the Dow. Quicken has been working on this for 12 yrs, based on the comments listed???
    I am not clear on what you are trying to "Print" to an Excel format. 

A portfolio view (Ctrl-U) can show data for the indexes and that data can include a Price Day Change, and a Price Day Change %.  Is that what you are seeing on screen that you are trying to get into Excel?

Are you attempting to use the selection to Export to a tab-delimited (Excel compatible) file?  If so, some users have gotten better results importing into Excel with a "PRN file" choosing to fully specify the file with a .csv extension (filename.csv). 

Using any method from a portfolio view, I find the Price Day Change and Price Day Change% values for the indexes come across just fine.