Unable to establish Citi as an Online Biller

My Quicken version and OS are in the signature field. I have been unable to successfully establish Citi as an online bill for the last week or so. I am able to complete the log on process with the process always ending with a warning message about the Citi bill needing attention because the bill was added but the next due amount is not yet available. Linking the existing reminder to the online bill reveals an empty Account number field ("Citi (Account: )"). The missing account number tells me that something is wrong between Citi and Quicken.

I have gotten the same result when trying to establish Citi as a online bill with a new test data file, so the state of my data file is not the issue.

Quicken Premier R54.16 Windows 10 Pro USA

Comments

• dianek
    dianek Member ✭✭
    what does this mean? It's my first time making payment with Quick Pay
  • dianek
    dianek Member ✭✭
    I'm worried that payment will be late and I don't understand why?
  • dianek
    dianek Member ✭✭
    Payment failed. It says online biller information not available? I tried removing the biller and adding again. Same thing. Didn't want a late fee, so I went to Citi website and paid....
  • Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @dianek

Thank you for taking the time to share your question with the community, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

I took the liberty of reviewing your internal biller profile and can verify that the Citi payment did fail, with the following internal error message:

I do not see that another payment for Citi has been scheduled so I would recommend either attempting to create another Quick Pay payment, or to log directly into the biller website to make the payment.

If you would like to make the Quick Pay payment, I would advise contacting Quicken Support for their assistance in monitoring the internal payment status, to ensure the payment is successfully sent or if another error is received.

I hope this information is helpful and please let us know if there are further questions/concerns the community may assist with.

Sarah
  • dianek
    dianek Member ✭✭
    Thank you for getting back to me. Now when I attempt to make a quick payment, it says "payment cannot be made because online biller is not available. Click gears button to remove biller and add again". I have done this several times, but it says the same thing.
  • dianek
    dianek Member ✭✭
    here is the screenshot
  • Dan Miller
    Dan Miller Member ✭✭✭
    Keep getting an error message of "must use pay date of 9/5/20 or earlier". Have never had this issue before of setting up future payments on Quicken Bill Pay?
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    Others have reported this behavior when there is no balance due on a bill.  I'm not sure if there was a resolution or work around.  You might try searching on cannot schedule Quick Pay.

Quicken user since 1995
    Win10 Deluxe Subscription thru 2023

• Dan Miller
    Dan Miller Member ✭✭✭
    Thank you jrich75, I searched the Community, and apparently its because Quicken hasn't received the latest statement from CIT even though i dod several days ago. I'll wait till it downloads to Quicken
  • jparmar
    jparmar Member, Windows Beta Beta
    I was able to add Costco Citi Card last month (Beginning August, 2020) without any issues.
    The bill pay was able to download the bill correctly when Citi generated the bill.
    After the bill was generated I scheduled a full payment for 31st August along with other credit card payments through Quicken Bill Payment.
    On 31st August all of the scheduled payments were successfully processed except Costco's Citi Card.
    On 1st September I received an error stating the following
    "Quicken was unable to process your payment because the Citi website is experiencing an outage. Your payment has been canceled. Please retry your payment later."
    I then decided to drop the biller and add it again. Hoping it might fix the issue.
    But now when I try to add Citi card, I am getting the attached error.
    Is anyone else also experiencing the same issue? Or if your payments for Citi Card is working fine. I have tried to remove and add the biller several times over the last several days and am still getting the same error.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    As the new online bill is now awaiting the next bill, I suggest you schedule the Quick Pay payment from the payment register: https://www.quicken.com/support/quicken-bill-manager-scheduling-future-dated-payments-windows
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    I had something similar happen with USAA Credit.  I was able to pay once with Quick Pay then the bill went into the needs attention status you show (I may have deleted and tried to re-add but am not sure).  I tried for a few months but was never able to re-establish it as an on-line biller and finally just deleted it from online bills.
    I do have Citi Costco set up as a biller but have never attempted to pay it using Quick Pay.  I believe there may be other reports of problems with Citi as an online biller.  Anyway, my Citi Costco does update with the amount but the PDF bill takes nearly a month to download (for example, 7/14 bill downloaded on 8/8).   I've decided to continue paying it from my bank billpay system rather than trying to use Quick Pay.

Quicken user since 1995

• Ed Maff
    Ed Maff Member ✭✭
    I have a QP scheduled Costco (Citi) for 9/11/20. I did 1 week, before due date since this will be my 1st QP payment.

It's listed as processing (Quick Pay).

Strangely, I validated online biller's from the settings menu on the bills
    page. Received message about vault (not sure what it said exactly) then biller was deleted. Costco (Citi)
    That was the second time I tried that (validate) and it removed Costco (Citi) both times.

Payment remains in the register as processing.
    Quicken user since 1997.
    Windows 10 Pro
  • Larry4
    Larry4 Member ✭✭✭
    jparmar, Ed Maff - my Citi payment due today and scheduled a month ago didn't go through. It said was a login problem which makes no sense, and I find that the original payment can't be resubmitted. So I submitted a new Quick Payment sat there for many, many hours without processing. Enough is enough, I cancelled and paid from the same account and login but manually at Citi which was processed in seconds. This is a new system and I expect some teething problems, but the lack of error handling and lack of a way an automatic recovery and/or for the user to correct the issue here is pathetic.
  • I'm also receiving the payment failed message after attempting quick pay payment for citi credit card. The message says citi is experiencing an outage, but I can log into my citi credit card account with no problem. I tried paying using quick pay again, but Bill Manager just says the status is "processing". This second attempt has been in this processing status for 24 hours. Payment is already late. What's going on here? I have made quick pay payments to this account previously with no problems.
  • Also wondering if this problem with citi cards payments in Bill Manager has something to do with the termination of Bill Pay on August 31st. Has termination of Bill Pay also terminated Bill Manager services with citi cards?
  • dianek
    dianek Member ✭✭
    Scheduled payments are not going thru with Citi credit card. I have deleted and reloaded. Now, I can't even schedule. Tells me to go to gears icon and delete...start over basically. I have current version.
  • Just worked with quicken customer support via chat for over an hour on this problem with Citicards. Still not working. They say that it is a general problem with Citicard transactions and that they are working on it. They said to try again in 72 hours. I went ahead and paid my citicard account manually, but had to pay late fee and interest charge because Bill Manager failed. Seems to me, Quicken owes me those charges because it is their fault that the bill was late.
  • jrich75
    jrich75 Member ✭✭✭✭
    My Citi Costco card just went into the Needs Attention status this morning after working for several months.  So far, it has also happened to USAA credit and Capital One Credit.  Now only 4 of my 7 primary credit cards will function with Quick Pay.

Quicken user since 1995

• Bill Manager has been unable to update bills for my Citibank credit cards for over a week now. Worked with technical support on this for over an hour today, but no dice. They say it is a general problem with all citibank credit cards and to try again in 72 hours. Are others experiencing this same problem? It worked until the first week in September which makes me wonder if the shutdown of Quicken online bill pay on August 31st inadvertently broke the connection for Bill Manager as well.
  • Quicken Hugh
    Quicken Hugh Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @virbert
    Thank you for posting about your concern. Just to be clear, you have an affirmative link from your computer to Citi, yes? After adding Citi as an Online Biller, you get something that looks like this, yes?

(Only in my example, I have added Cox Communications as an Online Biller.) The actual company logo showing on the left indicates you have an affirmative link from your computer to your Online Biller's system. What you have described is that you do have the affirmative link established from Quicken Bill Manger to Citi, and are only waiting for Citi to release current bill information down to QBM.

Do you have a current bill due at Citi? Or are you all paid up already?

(I've actually paid both my Cox and Progressive bills several months in advance. The next due amount is not yet available from Cox nor Progressive, and may not be for some time. This does not necessarily indicate a problem within QBM.)

Have you switched data files recently? Did you switch from your main working file to a backup file? Are you getting any other error messages at all? In all other regards, the Quicken program/One Step Update/Bill Update is working well, yes?

Are you paid up for the current bill cycle (and Citi hasn't release the next bill cycle bill information), or is your situation different, and we keep troubleshooting? If need be you are welcome to contact support directly for help too. 

• jparmar
    jparmar Member, Windows Beta Beta
    Thanks everyone for the update. So apparently I am not the only one having the issue. Is someone in Quicken actively monitoring these boards/community? Can they look into this issue and provide an update?
  • Larry4
    Larry4 Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    same question as JParmar. Hello? I had to fix this Quicken payment defect manually.
    Hey Quicken, are you expecting me to monitor all payments submitted to ensure that happens and fix it myself if not?
  • dmccombs
    dmccombs Member ✭✭
    edited September 2020
    I have the same problem with Costco Citicard Quick Pay. It worked for a while. I can still download transactions, but I can't pay my bill.

Now my bill will be late because I have to use the Check Pay method. Why does Quicken force the Quick Pay system on when it doesn't work. [removed - language]

Quicken is supposed to make paying bills easier, not screw up your credit rating.
  • dmccombs
    dmccombs Member ✭✭
    edited September 2020
    > @jparmar said:
    > Thanks everyone for the update. So apparently I am not the only one having the issue. Is someone in Quicken actively monitoring these boards/community? Can they look into this issue and provide an update?

[removed - rant/disruptive]
  • Also, if this is a systemic problem with Citi Credit card accounts as quicken technical support says, then why is there no "alert" on this issue.
  • virbert
    virbert Member ✭✭✭
    @Quicken Hugh,

Q: Thank you for posting about your concern. Just to be clear, you have an affirmative link from your computer to Citi, yes? After adding Citi as an Online Biller, you get something that looks like this, yes?
    A: Yes. I have the Citibank logo. The last payment information is not entered, with or without the reminder linked to the bill.

Q: Do you have a current bill due at Citi? Or are you all paid up already?
    A: Paid as of 9/3/2020. I should have received a new bill to post due on 10/3/2020. I have not received this new bill information.

Q: Have you switched data files recently?
    A: No.

Q: Are you getting any other error messages at all?
    A: No.

Q: In all other regards, the Quicken program/One Step Update/Bill Update is working well, yes?
    A: Today, Netflix is reporting the same warning. The bill information includes the Netflix logo and the last payment information, which is 9/28/2020. I expect the a new bill to post on 9/28/2020. The Needs Attention warning for Netflix doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Q: Are you paid up for the current bill cycle (and Citi hasn't release the next bill cycle bill information)....
    A: I am paid up, and Citi has released the next bill. Quicken has not received the bill.

• virbert
    virbert Member ✭✭✭
    Edit: I tried to validate the online billers and received the message that "[V]alidate has detected a biller on the server (Citi) which is incomplete or not present locally." I clicked OK to remove the biller from the server. After clicking OK, I remove a reminder which is automatically generated with today's date using the account "Unspecified Bill Presentment Account."

Also, it takes forever the authentication and bill sync to complete. This timing is not normally what I experience with other billers.

Netflix passes the validation test. The New York Times just popped up with a needs attention. It too passes the validation test.

• virbert
    virbert Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Update: Quicken chat support reported the following: "Thanks for that information! Let me advise that I was checking the information and I have a direct message from CITI: “We’re working on linking Citi. We’ll let you know if we need anything else.” so we will need to wait for them or we need to contact them so they can complete the process…"

It looks like Quicken and CITI are working on an issue.

Edit: I noticed that I have the same message as noted above by Quicken chat support for two other billers (Netflix & New York Times) which Quicken is claiming need attention. Hovering over the circled exclamation point under the Netflix logo displays the message "We're working on linking Netflix. We'll let you know if we need anything else."

I don't know why the Quicken chat support person reported this message to me, but I doubt the message means that Quicken and CITI are working on an issue. Ugh.

• DH100
    DH100 Member ✭✭
    Same problem here. I switched from Express Web Connect to Direct to hopefully fix it. No dice.
This discussion has been closed.