A recent update of my Quicken Subscription software has changed my budget reporting categories.

I have been printing monthly actual vs budget reports for years. When I printed my 8/31/2020 report the program changed the names of many of my budgeted categories. For example, Medical was changed to Medical & Dental, and the eight Medical subcategories were all changed to "Other Medical & Dental". I can't tell which is which. Does anyone know what happened and how to correct the problem?

Best Answer

Answers

• Hello @Hitch,

Thank you for reaching out to the Community about your issue, though I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing this.

Do you have a recent pre-update backup you can restore to see if the same issue occurs in the restored file? If necessary, please, review this support article and open the blue dropdown sections titled Restore Quicken data and/or Restore an automatic backup for instructions on how to restore a backup.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• Hitch
    Hitch Member
    Thanks Anja. I have back-up copies of my Data, but not the Quicken software itself. I opened a data file from two months ago, but the same problem occurred. When I printed the 2020 Budget, and an itemized category report for 8/31/2020, the categories were correct. Only the Actual vs. Current Budget report has the categories messed up. This must have occurred during a recent Quicken software update. Please advise. Thanks
    Hitch
  • Thank you for providing additional information.

Could you please provide which version release of Quicken you are currently running?
    • Help > About Quicken
    Also, I suggest you try to validate your data file by following the steps below--
    1. First Save a backup of your data file (just in case) 
    2. Go to File
    3. File Operations
    4. Validate and Repair
    5. Validate File
    6. Ok
    7. Close the data log that will pop-up after the validation has completed
    8. Close Quicken
    9. Wait at least 5 seconds
    10. Reopen Quicken
    11. Try again to see if the issue reoccurs/remains the same or gets corrected
    You can also try super validating which are the same steps as above except that you will hold Ctrl and Shift on your keyboard when clicking on Validate and Repair in order to get the option for Super Validate.

Let us know how it goes!

-Quicken Anja

• Hitch
    Hitch Member
    Thank you Anja,

Per your request, my Quicken Version is year-2020; Version: R.28.24; Build 27.1.28.24. I validated, and super-validated my data file per your instructions, but the Actual vs. Budget report still shows the same incorrect categories. Do you have any other suggestions? Thanks,
    Hitch
  • Thank you for providing the version number and trying the steps.

Before moving forward, do you know if it was this version release where the issue started or a previous one?

-Quicken Anja

• Hitch
    Hitch Member
    At the end of July I printed an Actual vs. Budget report for 7/31/2020 and it was fine. I tried to print the same report around 8/25/2020 but it had the incorrect categories. So the problem obviously occurred with an update somewhere during the first three weeks in August. I get periodic updates, but don't keep a log of when those occurred. Does my Quicken program keep an update log?
    FYI. for my 8/31/2020 Report I changed the "Budget" from the Quicken suggested "Current Budget" to "2020 Budget" (my name) but the results were the same. I also tried "2019 Budget", but same result. Please advise, Thanks.
    Hitch
  • Thank you.

In that case, then I suggest you try doing a clean uninstall/reinstall (different from a normal uninstall/reinstall). For instructions on how to do so, please review this support article and scroll down to the bottom section titled If the steps above do not resolve the issue.

Should this still fail or if you have already tried this, then at that point, I'd recommend reaching out to Quicken Support instead for further and more extensive troubleshooting.

-Quicken Anja

• Hitch
    Hitch Member
    UKR - Thank you. I followed your instructions and it worked. Appreciate your help!
  • Hitch
    Hitch Member
    Quicken Anja,

Thanks for your help. UKR suggested I try Edit/Preferences/Reports Only/Category Display "Name" On. It was off. When I turned it on the problem went away. Yea!!!
  • Awesome to hear his suggestion resolved the issue for you! Thank you for being patient and providing an update with good news. :)

-Quicken Anja

This discussion has been closed.