What is causing Quicken to suddenly close?

Running into problems the last few days with Quicken abruptly closing. Have experienced this when syncing to i-cloud and also for one (and only one) investment account when I click on the 'holdings' summary. I have re-installed the cloud sync, but that was not the issue. Appreciate any suggestions. Thank you.

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    @jw2020 - Which revision of Quicken are you running (Help > About Quicken)?
    There have been several revision updates the last few weeks and one of them included fixes for several different program crash issues.  If you are not running R28.28, you might want to update your Quicken to it (Help > Check for Updates).
    Another update option is to download and install the R28.28 Mondo Patch from https://www.quicken.com/support/update-and-patch-20182019-release-quicken-windows-subscription-product.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R34.24 on Windows 10)
  • jw2020
    jw2020 Member
    I installed the R28.28, and it has been since then that I have been experiencing the shutdowns. I will try to re-install the update and see if that helps. Thanks.
  • jw2020
    jw2020 Member
    I think there might be issues with the R28.28 update. Appreciate if this can be looked at. I re-installed the patch and now the app does not sync to the cloud, but on a good note it no longer abruptly closes. Spent nearly a day on this. Is there another software program to help track finances?
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    @jw2020 - Well, that's some good progress.
    Regarding not being able to sync to the cloud:  I don't think this is a R28.28 issue...at least I have not seen others posting about this issue with this revision.  You might want to consider taking the following steps.
    1. If you haven't already done so, verify that Mobile & Web Sync are turned on (Edit > Preferences > Mobile & Web > Sync = ON).  Sometimes (not often) program updates have been known to cause some preferences to change.:
    2. If it is on and you still can't sync:  Sometimes during a software update Quicken and the Cloud Account get out of sync.  What often fixes this:  Edit > Preferences > Cloud ID & Cloud Accounts > Sign in as a different user > Yes > Sign Out > sign in again using your current Quicken ID and PW.
    3. If your sync issue is still unresolved, I suggest that you reset your Cloud Account:  See "Troubleshooting" in the picture under #1 above.
    Let me know if any of these steps fixed your issue.
    FYI - Quicken Community is user forum and most of the people posting here are users just like you and me.  Moderators do post here, as well, and they are Quicken employees.  They do offer some troubleshooting support but if you want Quicken to investigate a problem you are having you should contact Quicken Support: How to Contact Quicken Support.
    Regarding other personal financial management programs:  Yes, there are other programs available but you won't find one that provides all the features and functionality of Quicken.  Almost all of them are web based, unlike Quicken which is PC-based and for some people that is an important distinction.  An Internet search can provide you with a lot of information as well as reviews laying out the pros and cons of each option.  What you won't find are discussions about them here in this forum.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R34.24 on Windows 10)