Chase Bank - unable to establish Direct Connect connection

I've been using Quicken for over 25 years, and I have always had a Direct Connect connection. About 6 months ago, I switched to Chase Bank and established a Direct Connect connection. As a result, I was able to utilize Chase bill pay where I paid all of my bills and made transfers from savings to checking -- all directly from my Quicken software without having to use the Chase website.

It worked beautifully for months, until several weeks ago when Chase had a problem with its Quicken bill pay service (which is described in a number of other posts). During that problem, I changed my connection to Web Connect so I could still download transactions. Now that that problem was fixed by Chase, I am now trying to switch back to a Direct Connect connection, but it is not allowing me to do so.

I keep getting a message in Quicken that I need login information from Chase in order to do this. But in fact, Chase already has me set up for Direct Connect, and it uses the same login credentials that I use to access Chase.com. As a result, I am only able to continue with a Web Connect connection.

Chase has their research team supposedly working on this, but it's been about 6 weeks and it's going nowhere. Has anyone experienced this problem? If I'm not able to fix this, I will need to switch banks, as it is really important for me to have a bank that has direct connect and that offers bank bill pay via Quicken. Please help! Thanks.
Tagged:

Comments

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    @jc828 - A while back Chase implemented a Direct Connect activation process.  Have you activated Quicken in your Chase online account?
    I know this is small.  If it is too hard to read, log in to your online account and do a search for "Quicken" and you should get the message I inserted above.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R35.31 on Windows 10)
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @jc28,

Sorry to hear that you are having issues trying to reinstate "direct connect" with Chase.

You said "Now that that problem was fixed by Chase, I am now trying to switch back to a Direct Connect connection, but it is not allowing me to do so."  Exactly what happens when you try to change the connection method?  Do you get a specific error code?

Also, Did the Chase technical folks tell you specifically what they were working on?

Let us know and we'll see if we can develop some next steps.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription Ver. 34.24 - Windows 10-Home Version
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• jc828
    jc828 Member ✭✭
    @Boatnmaniac, thank you for that advice, but yes, I have already activated the service with Chase.
  • jc828
    jc828 Member ✭✭
    @Frankx, attached is the message that I keep getting when I try to change my connection to Direct Connect. I can hit Next a thousand times and enter my login information, but it keeps returning me to this screen.

Chase has been entirely unhelpful. I'm speaking with the Customer Service folks and they interact with the Research team. (They will not let me speak with the Research team directly.) It's like a game of telephone. The Research team does not appear to understand the problem. The last time I heard from the customer service rep, she said the Research team looked at my logs and cannot see any transaction errors. I keep explaining that it is not a transaction error. It simply will not allow me to establish the connection at all.

If you have ANY advice on how to move past this, I will be forever grateful. It's driving me insane and after 25 years of banking in this way, I don't want to now settle for something less (i.e., web connect with downloads only). Thanks!
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @jc828,

Chase has an Online Department that I contacted about 6 months ago about a different Quicken issue, and while it took three calls - I was able to connect with someone who helped identify the issue.  If you don't have the Online Dept, number - it is 800-935-9935.  If you find that you aren't making progress during the call, I would ask them to escalate the matter to a more senior person, until you get it resolved.

Good luck.

Frankx

Quicken H&B-Subscription Ver. 34.24 - Windows 10-Home Version
                                             - - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Doug Obee
    Doug Obee Member ✭✭
    There are several problems all related to the direct connect problem with Chase. Quicken should consolidate all of them and call Chase to sort it out. I have been unable to get a Direct connect since I got a new credit card (Amazon). Maybe all of us should get a new bank for our bill paying.
  • Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Hi @Doug Obee .  I have several DC credit card accounts with Chase and am having no problem with it except every once in a while (not very often) Chase requires me to reset my accounts.  A couple of questions:
    1. Chase.com does require that Quicken be authorized on our online accounts before we can set up Quicken to access Chase.  Have you confirmed in your online account at Chase.com that Quicken is showing up there as being authorized?
    2. When you try to set up Chase in Quicken, do you click on "Advanced Options" and then select "Direct Connect"?  If you do not do this, Quicken will default to Express Web Connect instead of DC.
    3. If #1 and #2 are not the cause of the issue, have you been getting any error messages or codes when you are trying to set up your cards?
    As a final comment:  I just noticed that the Chase Amazon and Amazon Prime cards are not available for me to apply for via my Chase.com account.  When I Googled the cards, I noticed there is a unique Chase.com URL for the Amazon credit cards.  I do not know this for sure, but it is possible that the Amazon cards are one of the retail co-branded cards that requires it's own setup link in Quicken.  If this is the case, then there is no listing in the FIDIR.txt file for it.  It is not unusual for retail co-branded cards to have unique URLs and to require a unique Quicken setup link because of that as similar situations also exist with Synchrony, Citi and other credit card companies.  Sometimes these co-branded credit card companies decline to offer support for Quicken due to cost (yes, they need to pay Quicken for it). In these cases, if there is no set up link for them in the FIDIR.txt file it means that the retailer (in this case Amazon) does not have a requirement in their contract with Chase to support Quicken.  Amazon will need to update their contract with Chase to add support for Quicken and then Chase will need to update their contract with Quicken to get that support added.  If this is the situation with the Chase Amazon cards then you will not be able to link Quicken with it until and unless Amazon takes action to add support for Quicken.
    (QW Premier Subscription: R35.31 on Windows 10)
  • exumry
    exumry Member ✭✭
    Prior to March 9 2021 I could download from Bank of America and Chase with no problems. Then I apparently selected Express Web connect and have been unable to download from either place. Bank of America is shown as "Bank of America - All Other" and Chase just lists Chase Bank. How do I change Bank of America to "Bank of America - California" if that is what is needed. However also, when I try to download from either BofA or Chase I get the answer "nothing to download" - no error message. Yet there are items on the bank websites to be downloaded. I also download from Charles Schwab and have no problems at all - downloads cleanly every time. What should I do?
This discussion has been closed.