external tranfers

How do you make an external transfer without making two entries

Answers

• Boatnmaniac
    Boatnmaniac SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    @jwiersum - Please provide more detail on exactly what you are trying to accomplish?

(Quicken Classic Premier Subscription: R54.16 on Windows 11)

• Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I don't know what you mean by "external transfer"  (that's not a term that's explicitly used within Quicken), nor what you mean by "two entries."
    Quicken is an accounting program that follows the double-entry concept such that every entry you make in any Account has an offsetting entry in another Account, or a Category.  Is that what you're referring to by "two entries?"
    Maybe you could explain your situation with more detail and what you're trying to achieve?
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    It depends on your definition of external transfers.

If you're referring to a transfer between account registers maintained in separate Quicken files, you will have a withdrawal transaction in one Quicken file and a deposit transaction in the other Quicken file.

If you're referring to a transfer between accounts maintained in the same Quicken file, you may use a transfer transaction.  In Quicken for Windows, the category field of a transfer transaction in an account register is used to identify the other account register.

Quicken does make a distinction between internal and external transfers in reports and cash flow views but this is in reference to the whether the other account register in an included transfer transaction identifies an included account (internal) or not (external).
  • I am transferring money from providence bank to BOA. the register in BOA shows the transfer but the money is not deducted from providence register.
  • Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    jwiersum said:
    I am transferring money from providence bank to BOA. the register in BOA shows the transfer but the money is not deducted from providence register.
    You should set the category of the transaction in the BOA register to be a transfer from the providence register. 
  • Tom Young
    Tom Young SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    If you originated the entry in the BOA Account - which seems to be the case - then in the entry in the Category box of the register should read [Account name associated with Providence Bank].  Notice the square brackets that signal to Quicken that the offset is actually going to an Account, not a Category.
  • I show it in the providence as a txfr and payee as providence an in category with a bracket act( for the BOA account. In the BOA register shows as payee providence and category as BOA.Both accounts are in Quicken data file.
  • Quicken support said I should also make a dummy entry in the providence acct. That should have to be done.
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    I didn't follow that.  You only need to make one entry in either account.  Like in your BOA account you would enter [providence acct] using square brackets for the category.  The category in the BOA account should not be BOA.  

Or in the Providence account enter [BOA] for the category.  

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• Sherlock
    Sherlock Member ✭✭✭✭
    jwiersum said:
    I show it in the providence as a txfr and payee as providence an in category with a bracket act( for the BOA account. In the BOA register shows as payee providence and category as BOA.Both accounts are in Quicken data file.
    In the BOA register, the transfer transaction should have the providence register identified in the category within square brackets.

In the providence register, the transfer transaction should have the BOA register identified in the category within square brackets.
  • Volvogirl
    Are you saying in providence acct I use square bracket [BOA] i and no entry in the BOA register. I am making the transfer thru online banking from providence to BOA. Will that make a difference?
  • volvogirl
    Yes exactly.  Square brackets around the other account name will make it a transfer to the other account.  I don't know how online banking will affect that.  When you download transactions from both accounts they should match to the one you entered. 

So try it,  make an entry in providence acct with [BOA] on it.  Then go to the BOA account and see it show up there. You can make a fake entry and then delete it.  

• Volvogirl
    The prov acct showed txfr to BOA (good), but the Boa acct show Payee as providence and category as prov(going back to prov. I'll use the gear action and use the transfer money tab
  • volvogirl
    Right, the BOA account will show it back to the providence account.  That's how they are linked.  It's not important what the payee or description or memo is.  It will be the same in both accts.   So just type a better payee/description.  Like enter "Transfer from Providence to BOA"

• When I use The gear action I have no problem. Thanks for all the help
This discussion has been closed.