How to enter transactions showing 0 shares and new share price

Options
jarhtmd
jarhtmd Member ✭✭✭
edited September 2020 in Investing (Windows)
I have several mutual fund accounts into which I rarely, if ever, make deposits or withdrawals . . . some RMDs only. When I get (paper) statements, often share prices (and therefore, total fund values) are the only changes.

I would like to enter transactions that shows only the new prices so that the total fund values are corrected. That will allow for quick visual review of price history from transaction screen, as well, as correcting reports, such as Net Worth.

How do I do that? I am using (Windows10) Quicken 2007 and enter ALL info manually (no downloads, etc) . . . Hey, I'm old . . . I have a hard time remembering what I already know . . . Imagine me trying to learn all the new Quicken bells & whistles.

Answers

• Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Options
    One way to do this if you want to do it manually is to go the an Investing > Portfolio view that shows the share prices. Set the As of date at the top to the statement date and enter the prices in the appropriate spots.

If you invest in a Quicken subscription and have the tickers set up correctly for your securities and they are publicly traded, you can go to this view and click on Update. Quicken will download the most recent prices automatically.   To get historical prices, click on the down arrow next to Update and choose Historical prices. Note that for prices more than 1 month old, Quicken may download just the Friday prices and may miss the month-end prices.
    QWin Premier subscription
  • volvogirl
    volvogirl SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    They probably can't download or update prices for Quicken 2007.  Too old.  In addition to the Portfolio method listed above you can right click on the fund and click on Price History to add new prices.  Assuming 2007 works the same way.

But You should at least try to convert to the 2013 version since you don’t use any online services or download transactions now.  Then it should run on newer versions of Windows.  Starting in 2014 they instituted an ID password to get into your own data. I’m staying on 2013.

2013 should run on Windows 10.  You can download 2013 Deluxe for free using this how to convert article.  It’s under Converting from Quicken 2004-2009.

https://www.quicken.com/support/how-and-when-use-intermediate-version-convert-older-versions-quicken 

And FYI - If your Quicken was before 2010 you should have several files making up the data.

The main data file ends in .QDF.  All Quicken versions prior to QW2010 store your data in a series of files all sharing the same filename but with different extensions like  - .QDF .IDX, .QEL, .QPH  and all 4 of those files were rolled into a single-file .QDF starting in 2010. 

I'm staying on Quicken 2013 Premier for Windows.

• jarhtmd
    jarhtmd Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks, Jim and Volvogirl, for your replies.

Since posting (& before your replies) I tried various transaction types. I've discovered that inserting an 'ADDED' transaction with blank shares, using the date and price from the statements updates the fund's total value, accomplishing my goal.

I need to investigate Portfolio view (& other features) Actually, I've only scratched the surface of Quicken.

Updating to Quicken2013 (for free) sounds great. But the link to states "if you convert from any Quicken for Windows version older than Quicken 2010, you may experience some data file issues. Unfortunately, if you choose to do this, we will be unable to assist you with any issues you encounter during the conversion process. We can only assist with conversions from 2010 or later versions of Quicken."

I may download the conversion file for later use, but right now Murphy's Law is keeping me from making the conversion.
  • Jim_Harman
    Jim_Harman SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    You can always try the conversion on a copy of your data file and see what happens. Make sure you have a copy of your current version of Quicken so you can revert if necessary, or try the conversion on another PC that you do not normally use with Quicken.
    QWin Premier subscription