Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)

Is there a problem with downloaded transactions from some accounts?

My one step update worked this AM which is most of my accounts. I must always download transactions manually from my credit union and from my CITI credit card. This morning, neither of those worked. Each time I try to import the transactions, I get a message, which I have never seen before, that says "Close current file?" I have tried both Y and N and, in both cases, the update doesn't happen. I have also clicked X in the dialog box and the same thing happens -- nothing. It closes the dialog box and the transactions are not imported. It appears that the one step update worked. Any thoughts???? I need help, don't want to manually enter all that stuff. :/

Best Answer

Answers

• oughtonmoughtonm Member
    I don't use Quicken to pay bills, just download transactions from all accounts to Quicken files. I have never had a problem like this before. I was wondering if they updated the software. If it had occurred on one of the manual download accounts, I might have thought it was something related to the downloading site, but it is happening with a credit union and a credit card account, not related in any way -- so thinking it must be Quicken
    PS It does not give an error message. It just closes the dialog box and nothing happens.
    If I say yes to Close the file, it says that there is an error opening the data file, but there is no error number.
    I used the super sleuth's solution but it is really not a great way to go. I have never understood why I these accounts wouldn't work in one step update, but decided to do a manual download to accommodate whatever the problem was. Now I have an additional step to do. Does anyone know why some accounts won't work right?
  • Chris_QPWChris_QPW Member ✭✭✭✭
    Are you sure you are opening a QFX file?

If you open a QIF file it will behave like the way you suggest.

Here is what is going on.

Programs can register as the default program to open with certain file types.  Quicken registers itself for QFX and QIF.

When you open a QFX file in your web browser or Windows File Explorer, Windows will pass that file name to Quicken as an argument (it will even start Quicken to do this if it isn't currently running).  When Quicken gets the QFX file it imports the transactions.

The same thing is happening with the QIF file, but with a twist.  Many years ago Quicken would import that QIF file, just like the QFX file, but they got to a point where they didn't want to support this any more and took out the code for checking to see if the file is a QIF file to import.

That means that it then goes on and assumes that the file type is a Quicken data file/QDF.  And and such that is the reason it is asking you if you want to close the current Quicken data file, it thinks it is about to open another Quicken data file.  If you say no to that prompt it just stops. If you say yes it closes the existing data file, but when it goes to open the QIF file as if it was a QDF/Quicken data file, that of course fails.

This is a very long standing bug.  They should either changing it back so that the QIF file is imported, or they should stop registering Quicken to handle QIF files so that when you open one Windows doesn't pass it to Quicken. Actually best of these two would be to import the QIF file.

As far as what you should do, you should be importing QFX files, not QIF files if at all possible.  If the QIF file is the only choice then you need to use:
    File -> File Import -> QIF File...
    (I'm using the latest Quicken subscription version)
  • SherlockSherlock SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    edited September 18
    oughtonm said:
    I used the super sleuth's solution but it is really not a great way to go. I have never understood why I these accounts wouldn't work in one step update, but decided to do a manual download to accommodate whatever the problem was. Now I have an additional step to do. Does anyone know why some accounts won't work right?
    The import initiated from a web browser is subject to the mapping set in the web browser and Windows  The sledge hammer approach to resolving the configuration issue is to perform a clean uninstall, install, and update.  If you haven’t already, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/using-qcleanui-uninstall-quicken 

With regard to which connection methods are supported by a financial institutions, you may want to review: https://www.quicken.com/support/how-quicken-connects-your-bank

Intuit continues to have difficulty maintaining the Express Web Connect connection method for Quicken.  If you are not willing to accept the unreliability of this connection method, I suggest you use the Direct Connect or the Web Connect connection method if available instead.

The reason Intuit has difficulty maintaining the Express Web Connect connection method for Quicken is because they have limited resources.  Intuit is attempting to provide support for the Express Web Connect connection method at over 15,000 financial institutions.  While there is some overlap across financial institutions, the financial institutions that require screen scraping are exceeding vulnerable to failure.  When there is an issue at one financial institution, the issue has to be detected or reported, diagnosed, confirmed, triaged, debugged, resolved, tested, and delivered by Intuit.  

In comparison, the Direct Connect and Web Connect connection methods are maintained by each financial institution adhering to a stable interface.  On the rare occasions when there is an issue, it is almost always quickly resolved by the financial institution because it is the financial institution's responsibility. 
    Quicken user since 1997
    Premier on Windows 10