Banking Transaction Report Does Not Show Balance

The menu item Reports -> Banking -> Transaction produces a report that when sorted by month shows a balance for each month (see attached). However, if I customize the report to display only transactions from a particular payee, the balances disappear in the report. It didn't behave this way until recently because I used to be able to run reports for a particular payee and display the monthly balances for such payee. How can I get the monthly balances to display again? Thanks.
Refugee from Microsoft Money. Now resident of the latest Quicken Premier for Windows.
Tagged:

Answers

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @WindowFinance

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you have not received a response.

Please navigate to Help > About Quicken and provide the release that you are currently running.

May I ask that you provide what filters you are using on this report? In trying to recreate this issue, I've found that my report looks slightly different than the report that you show.

I do not have "balance" listed anywhere like I see in your screenshot.

I do no see any missing totals. I am missing months as I do not have transactions for these months. 

Can you please confirm that you have transactions for this payee after 6/30/2020?

Please let me know!

-Quicken Tyka

~~~***~~~
  • WindowFinance
    WindowFinance Member ✭✭✭
    Hi,

I am running Quicken for Windows 2020 Version R28.28, Build 27.1.28.28.

Attached is the report I see when I run Reports -> Banking -> Transaction. In this report I only filter to a specific account and date range. The report shows "Balance" after each month. But as soon as I filter by Payee, the "Balance" rows disappear, and the report becomes what you see in your post above.

I would like to see the "Balance" remain in the report even if I filter by Payee. I need this balance information to tell the payee how much I owe her or she owes me. I was able to get that to work before, but not anymore.

Thanks.
    Refugee from Microsoft Money. Now resident of the latest Quicken Premier for Windows.
  • Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @WindowFinance

Thank you for the screenshot and the additional details. I can recreate what you are seeing, that the balance column is removed when filtering by a specific payee.

Unfortunately, there are no additional settings available to include or not include the budget number on the report.

I am not able to speak further on what has changed as you mention that this report worked differently at one time, I am only able to confirm that this is now what is available for this specific report.

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    So here is a snip of a Banking Transaction Report subtotaled by Month, filtered to a single Payee from Quicken subscription version 26.23 (June 2020 update).  

While it shows a "Balance" line, I do not find that very useful (for myself and for this type of Payee).  That initial value happens to be the sum of all my payments to that Payee prior to the start of this report.  The 'balance' then simply accrues from month to month.  

@WindowFinance wrote:
    I would like to see the "Balance" remain in the report even if I filter by Payee. I need this balance information to tell the payee how much I owe her or she owes me. I was able to get that to work before, but not anymore.   

I can't imagine the Banking Transaction report was envisaged as a customer statement tool.  Strikes me as innovative that you used it in that fashion.  Are you not using a Home & Business version that more naturally includes Customer Statement forms?

HTH.    

• WindowFinance
    WindowFinance Member ✭✭✭
    Thanks. That's exactly what I am looking for. How can I downgrade to version 26.23 ?

I am using this report to settle finances with friends and family, not customers. I don't have a business. I just happen to share and split costs of things frequently with many people. The running balance of transactions with each payee is particularly useful for that purpose. Thanks.
  • q_lurker
    q_lurker SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    How can I downgrade to version 26.23 ?
    see http://www.quicknperlwiz.com/quickenpatches.html for prior release mondo-patches.  
    Quicknperlwiz aka @Chris_QPW is an active user on this site formerly with superuser status.  A trusted individual providing a Quicken-community service.  
  • WindowFinance
    WindowFinance Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Awesome. Thank you so much @q_lurker. @Chris_QPW website is a god sent.
    I've downgraded my Quicken to 26.23 and the Balance rows appear again. I will stop updating my Quicken from now on and hope that Quicken will fix this issue soon. How can we alert Quicken so that they can fix this bug? Thanks.
  • WindowFinance
    WindowFinance Member ✭✭✭
    Can someone working at Quicken please request that the Balance rows be added back to the Banking Transactions Report (see discussion above)? Right now, I must keep rolling Quicken back to version 26.23 whenever I want to run the report showing the Balance row and that's tiring. Thank you.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    Can someone working at Quicken please request that the Balance rows be added back to the Banking Transactions Report (see discussion above)? Right now, I must keep rolling Quicken back to version 26.23 whenever I want to run the report showing the Balance row and that's tiring. Thank you.
    Hello @WindowFinance,

If you wish to submit a request to have this feature added back in the future, what you can do is create an idea post and add your vote. Our development team frequently uses our idea posts in order to improve Quicken and implement features requested by customers. This way other users who have the same or a similar request can vote on your idea.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• WindowFinance
    WindowFinance Member ✭✭✭
    Why can't Quicken employees monitor their own community forums to see what their customers are talking about and from that derive the customers' needs? We shouldn't spend time posting about the same thing multiple times in multiple places. We are not paid to do this. We are the ones who pay.

It's more than enough that we are giving the company free feedback on these forums. But here is another piece of free feedback: add a voting button (like Reddit) on here if you want to implement that feature, so that we don't have to post about our problem again on the "idea" board. Nobody has time for that.

But just this one time, I've created the "idea" for this problem: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7884735/return-the-balance-row-to-transaction-report/p1?new=1

Thanks.
This discussion has been closed.