Skipped transactions in Reminders

Options
I am running Quicken Deluxe 202 - Version R27.42, Build 27.1.27.42. I make use of the Bill & Income Reminders feature a lot, and I have used it for many years without problems. Today I noticed that some of my reminders are now showing a status of "Skipped" instead of "Upcoming". I have never set any transaction to be skipped, so there must be something in Quicken that did that. Looking around the support discussions, I see a lot of talk about problems like this happening in 2019 and early 2020, but the discussions I found had all been closed for further comments, and it seemed like the problems had not yet been solved when the discussion was closed.

Best Answers

Answers

• Quicken Sarah
    Quicken Sarah Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Options
    Hello @RichardScheel

Thank you for taking the time to share the details of this issue with the community, although I apologize that you have not yet received a response.

May I ask, have you recently restored a backup copy of your data file?  If not, have you tried any troubleshooting steps so far, such as running the Validate & Repair tool (File > File Operations > Validate & Repair) or removed and recreated the "skipped" reminder(s)?

Please let us know, thank you.

Sarah
  • RichardScheel
    RichardScheel Member ✭✭
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I have not restored a backup.
    I ran Validate & Repair just now. It did not find any problems, and the issue with having skipped transactions is still present.
    I have not removed and recreated the skipped transactions. I was hoping that we could find the underlying cause and fix that, rather than simply applying a bandaid solution. (speaking from my 40+ years of experience as a software developer).
  • Paul McMillin
    Paul McMillin Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I had this problem also. 9 upcoming transactions were marked as Skipped. The only way I could fix it was by editing each of the 9 transactions and bumping the next due on date one day to the future. This reset the status to Auto (or Upcoming for transactions not automatically entered). I then tried setting the date back to the original date, but the status changed back to Skipped. There is definitely a bug in the code....
  • IvanP
    IvanP Member
    Options
    This "skipped" message showed up this morning. I ran Validate and Repair to no resolution. I have my reminders set to post 30 days in advance to my account, so the wizards at Intuit have time to come up with a fix for this bug in the code.
  • nap
    nap Member ✭✭
    Options
    I have the same issue! Is there a way to back out the last software update? I first noticed it happening sometime around 8/1/20
  • UKR
    UKR SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Options
    If I may ask ... does this "skipped" problem occur only for reminders set to "Automatically enter [xx] days before due date"?
    What is the setting of [xx] days before? Zero? 1 or greater?
    If it's [0], have you tried setting it to [1] or [3] (or any number greater than 0)?
  • RichardScheel
    RichardScheel Member ✭✭
    Options
    UKR: The skipped transactions are a mix of ones that are set to automatically enter 30 days in advance, and ones that are just set to give me a reminder 30 days in advance. None of my reminders are set for zero or one day - they are all 30 or more days (both skipped ones and ones that are working OK). They are also a mix of payments, deposits and transfers. They show up in both my credit card account (in the Banking group of accounts), and in my investment account.
  • Paul McMillin
    Paul McMillin Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    I have noticed these "Skipped" transactions are not actually skipped. They show up fine in balance projections for all accounts. And they post to the account register when they should...strange.
  • Rederic60
    Rederic60 Member
    Options
    I have my bills set as reminders. A few days ago when I entered visa payment the next month showed up as skipped. Today when I entered another as paid, the next month bill shows as skipped. Something is definitely wrong with the program.
  • justbill1931
    justbill1931 Member
    edited August 2020
    Options
    [Removed-Sarcastic/Disruptive]
  • ddinnerville
    Options
    Same issue. 4 scheduled transactions showing up as Skipped under Bill and Income Reminders. None of them should actually be in the register yet as their dates are 10/1, 10/15, and 2 for 10/20, and all are set for automatic entry 30 days in advance, which is obviously still almost 10 days away. This is clearly some sort of buggy behavior. Come on, Quicken!
  • nap
    nap Member ✭✭
    Options
    I'm having the same issue. First noticed about 8/1/20. Reported and called. Please fix this or back out the update.
  • Ghassan Alfaqih
    Options
    I have the same issue appearing recently and only seems to affect auto transactions set for 30 days. I reset to 29 days and 31 days respectively and the status reverted to "Auto" as it should. I then reset to 30 days and the status became "Skipped" once again.

Whether the transactions actually post despite the status will be evident in the next day or so. If they post properly, then it's less critical, albeit incorrect. If they do not post, then we have a serious problem that should be addressed quickly. Otherwise a workaround might be to reset the days to something other than 30.
  • Paul McMillin
    Paul McMillin Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thank you Ghassan. This appears to fix the problem. It is strange however, some of my Auto entered 30 days transactions did not have the Skipped status, but most did. Changing to 31 appears to fix the issue at least for now.
  • RichardScheel
    RichardScheel Member ✭✭
    Options
    Another data point: Many of my skipped transactions have now gone back to "Upcoming" status. For any one of my scheduled transactions, the change seems to have occurred when I entered the skipped transactions into their respective registers, so in the reminders list the transaction went to the next scheduled occurrence.

For example, if a transaction was scheduled for September 25 and had status = Skipped, and then I clicked the Enter button for the transaction, the September 25 transaction is properly entered into the register, and the Reminders list shows the next occurrence as October 25 with status = Upcoming. It is no longer Skipped.

NOTE: I do not consider this to be a fix or a workaround - it is just a data point that I hope will help the developers find and fix the underlying bug.
  • Sherrie Buckridge
    Options
    I too, have been having the skipped transactions since August. At first I just thought it was a fluke, but when happened again, I thought I would check to see if it is me. I changed the days from 30 to 29 or 31 and we'll see if it continues to happen.
  • Brass FR
    Options
    Do we need to start a new topic on this?
    This one has a "marked as answer" comment (though I do not consider "contact support" to be a resolution).

This has been going on for months, not just August. I would says I first noticed it closer to March or April.

This does NOT just affect auto-enter reminders (all mine are manual entry with reminder 3 days in advance). It seems to be random.

I removed all the reminders, did the quicken validate file dance, and manually re-added every. single. one. (~80) of them back into the program last month. I go in today and immediately see the tell-tale sign - I have more money forecasted than makes sense, and after reconciling to my spreadsheet, sure enough, 3 upcoming bills got skipped somehow.

I do occasionally skip one manually (when Quicken fails to recognize the new transaction as one I have a reminder for) but I KNOW I did not skip these (and that was never an issue in years past). I have been using Quicken since 2016 (on the forced subscription now). This is incredibly frustrating. The entire reason I bought Quicken was so I could have a reliable forecast of checking account balance and assure I never miss paying a bill. This bug breaks both of those - I could easily miss paying an important bill AND thinking I have that money available, spend it and lead to an overdraft. The only way I've been able to stay on top of my finances is by reconciling my accounts against a spreadsheet, which is what I did before Quicken. For months now I've been managing my accounts in Quicken AND using my old spreadsheet. Can this please be resolved? Or can we revert to an old version? (I also don't like having to hit enter twice after choosing a category which has been going on for about the same amount of time).
  • rleifield
    rleifield Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Lately when I edit a bill reminder Quicken marks it as skipped! I did not skip it, Quicken did.

I can't "un-skip" it. There is no option that lets me set the "Skipped" status back to "Upcoming."

Help!

Thanks.
  • Quicken Anja
    Quicken Anja Moderator mod
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Hello @rleifield,

Thank you for taking the time to reach out to the Community and tell us about your issue, though I apologize that you are experiencing this.

Though there is not an "un-skip" option per se, what you can do is edit the reminder by selecting Edit this instance and all future instances (see below).

Then, in the Edit Bill Reminder window, change the Next due on date back to the correct date (see below). This will revert the date back to the date you changed it to.

I hope this helps and let us know if you have any additional questions!

-Quicken Anja
    Make sure to sign up for the email digest to see a round up of your top posts.

• rleifield
    rleifield Member ✭✭✭
    Options
    Thanks for the reply.

The image you sent me in your email did not display.

I clicked on Edit. I did not get the choice to edit all future reminders, only this one.

I edited the date to make it one day earlier. The date on the reminder that is skipped is the correct date.

I saved it and the skipped status changed to Auto.

I then went back and edited it again to go back to the correct date and saved it.

The status then changed back to skipped (I did not do this, quicken did).

There is a bug in this software.

Rick Leifield
  • BBG
    BBG Member ✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    Options
    Same here.  My bills and reminders were all shown as 'auto' correctly until I edited the memo in one, and then it went to 'skipped' when I saved it. This happened before but I did not worry since they were put in the registers on schedule, so it looks like a bug in the bill & income reminders displayed table not the entry of same in the accounts.  This entry is also periodic at 14 days not 30 days.  As with 30, if I change it to 13 or 15 the status reverts to 'auto', if I put in 14 again it shows skipped.

I'll add that when it is shown as skipped in the bills & income management tool, it is showing up what is now 28 days early as a reminder at the bottom of the respective account register, status skipped, correct date shown, 14 day automated periodic entry schedule. The 8 October entry was made in the register as expected. The 'skipped' item date for auto entry is 22 October; today is 24 September. 

• RichardScheel
    Options
    The vast majority of my reminder transactions are not Auto. I have 4 Auto and 33 not Auto. At the moment, 2 out of the 4 Auto transactions show as Skipped, and 1 out of 33 non-Auto is Skipped.

Almost all of my transactions have 30 day reminders, but a few have 31 or 35 days. My transactions that are currently skipped all have 30 day reminders.

Almost all of my reminder transactions have a monthly repeat period - few are weekly, annual, etc. My 3 skipped ones are monthly.

I very rarely edit any of my reminder transactions.

In the time since I initially reported this problem, a number of formerly skipped transactions are now back to being "Upcoming". I don't know when the changes happened. I might have been when I manually added the transaction into the register (so the next repetition of the transaction is Upcoming in the reminder list), but I am not sure.
This discussion has been closed.