Switching between Quicken Connect and Direct Connect

SRC1954
SRC1954 Member ✭✭✭
Quicken connect went on the blink for my main checking account so I switched to Direct Connect. It automatically connected to my bank's bill pay and even though I turned it off, it caused issues.

1) It deleted most of my Online payees at my bank's site. This isn't catastrophic. I recreated them but it was a bother.

2) It downloaded crud unfriendly payee names from my Bank's site, which it wouldn't let me change. If you delete the payee and then recreate with same name (for example: American Express for downloaded AMERICAN EXPRESS {I hate all caps}, it tells me I already have a payee of that name. I cannot find it once I deleted it but it is apparently still there! To get it back, you have to restore backup from before you deleted it!

3) I found I could workaround changing name by doing a transaction search and then editing all of them to what I want and choosing create new payee. It would then change the Payee. But it still had the $ in front of it keeping it as an online payee.

4) Turning off Bank Billpay, which I did immediately makes no difference. You still cannot edit or really delete them. You can merely hide them, but some of the Payees I still use. I just pay online or at their site.

Suggestions:

1) When one sets up Direct Connect, do not turn on Bank Bill Pay automatically. Quicken should ask and warn what this means.

2) When Bank Bill Pay is off, allow customer to edit or delete the online payees. I mean REALLY delete them.

3) I've made a mental note not to use Direct Connect with my checking account. If I have to switch temporarily from Quicken Connect, I'll go to Web Connect.

4) There ought to be a way to restore faux deleted payees for those who don't know not to do that.

Finally,

Why is there no way to repair MAC files? I used to do this all the time with the Windows version.

If I ever use Quicken Bill Pay, will it do all this downloading and synching of payees too without allowing customers to edit them?

Thanks for your opinions, help, discussion.

Steve
MS Money/Quicken Classic since 1991
Quicken Simplifi since 2021

Tagged:

Comments

• Quicken_Tyka
    Quicken_Tyka Alumni ✭✭✭✭
    Hello @SRC1954

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issues and suggestions.

I will do my best to respond!

As you mention having issues with payees and renaming, I would take a moment to review the steps and information on renaming rules available here.

1) When one sets up Direct Connect, do not turn on Bank Bill Pay automatically. Quicken should ask and warn what this means.

The Direct Connect method is controlled by the financial institution.  Quicken cannot disable bank bill pay from being transmitted if it has been enabled by the financial institution.

2) When Bank Bill Pay is off, allow customers to edit or delete the online payees. I mean REALLY delete them.

A payee can be deleted, however, all of the transactions using the payee in question will need to be edited so the payee is no longer in use before deletion.

https://www.quicken.com/support/managing-payees-quicken-mac

4) There ought to be a way to restore faux deleted payees for those who don't know to do that.

Depending on the time frame, you may be able to navigate to Edit > Undo to undo any changes that have been done if the file has not already been closed.

Why is there no way to repair MAC files? I used to do this all the time with the Windows version.

There is a previous discussion available here that provides some additional insight available here

If I ever use Quicken Bill Pay, will it do all this downloading and synching of payees too without allowing customers to edit them?

Quicken Bill Pay has been discontinued and is no longer available, Quicken Bill Manager functions a bit differently than Quicken Bill pay, to learn more please see the information available here.

This post was previously an idea and has been changed back to a discussion as there are several distinct suggestions listed.

I did not locate any ongoing Idea posts that match your request. To make a feature request, please see the information available here and create a separate Idea post for each suggestion.

Creating an Idea post allows others to add their vote and lets our development team know what customers would like to see offered in the future.

Thank you,
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
This discussion has been closed.