Home Quicken for Windows Download, Add/Update Accounts (Windows)
Quicken Community is moving to Single Sign On! Starting 1/22/21, you'll sign in to the community with your Quicken ID. For more information: http://bit.ly/CommunitySSO

Renew subscription with store-bought copy?

Can you renew an existing Quicken Premier windows membership subscription in 2020 with a store-bought copy of Quicken Premier 2019 (with 1-year membership included)?

Best Answer

Answers

• splashersplasher SuperUser ✭✭✭✭
    Yes.  It will have an Activation Code that you apply from the Help menu, it will extend your subscription on your current Quicken ID.  You can do this extension only during the last 6 months of a subscription.
    -splasher  using Q since 1996 -  Subscription  -  Win10
    -also older versions as needed for testing
    -Questions? Check out the  Quicken Windows FAQ list

• The KeeperThe Keeper Member ✭✭✭✭
    Another community member may have a different answer but I question why you want to do that. Purchasing a retail copy of Quicken means a new installation of Quicken and then transferring your data file and it will still be a subscription when installed on your computer. Since you already have a Quicken Premier subscription why not just let the subscription renew automatically for one year? Help me understand your logic in purchasing a retail version that will be the same as the version you already have on your computer?
    @The Keeper
     Since subscription Quicken (2018+), there is no need to install the software with subsequent purchases, you just extend the subscription by applying the Activation Code in the retail box or the digital purchase process.
    If you purchase directly from Quicken.com, the subscription is automatically extended by making the purchase using the Quicken Id you logged into the Quicken website with.

…Since you already have a Quicken Premier subscription why not just let the subscription renew automatically for one year? …
    Cost is a big reason, Quicken.com only discounts from the MSRP to NEW users, it is rare that you can't find it from a retail partner at a lower than MSRP price.

• thecreatorthecreator SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Since you already have a Quicken Premier subscription why not just let the subscription renew automatically for one year? Help me understand your logic in purchasing a retail version that will be the same as the version you already have on your computer?
    Hi @The Keeper ,

Why pay Full Quicken Retail Price, when you can buy Quicken at a lower price point, saving money?

You do not have to reinstall Quicken, to enter a New Activation Code.
    Open Quicken.
    Click Help > Enter Activation Code,

thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R31.20  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA
                       Windows 10 Pro 32 & 64-Bit Build 21322.1000
    also            Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit Build 19042.804

Note: Product What's New in Quicken is grayed out.. Also Year is stuck on 2020 and Copyright Date is stuck 2018 in About Quicken.

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

• the3rootsthe3roots Member ✭✭
    @splasher
    So, I can enter my new Product Activation Code BEFORE the expiration date and it will extend my current subscription by the full time period of the retail copy?

My current subscription doesn't expire until November 13, 2020, but I have a copy of Quicken Premier 2019 that was given to me with a 14 month subscription (an Amazon special with 2 extra months).

If I enter the Product Activation Code into the Active Quicken screen (you show above), it will extend my current subscription by 14 months; from November 13, 2020 until January 13, 2021?
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    edited August 2020
    Hello @the3roots

Thank you for taking the time to visit the Community to post your issue, although I apologize that you haven't received a follow-up response.

Membership can only be extended in the last six months of a subscription term. If your membership expires in November you are within the last six months.

You can extend a subscription term by redeeming an activation code in a retail copy. However, this also can only be done in the last six months of your current subscription term. Therefore, multiple terms cannot be purchased and used at once to extend membership. Retail purchases: Activation codes expire 24 months after being generated.

You can not enter multiple codes for multiple extensions at once.

I hope this helps!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
    @Quicken_Tyka
    > @Quicken_Tyka said:
    >
    >  You can extend a subscription term by redeeming an activation code in a retail copy. However, this also can only be done in the last six months of your current subscription term. Therefore, multiple terms cannot be purchased and used at once to extend membership. Retail purchases: Activation codes expire 24 months after being generated.
    >
    > You could not have ever entered multiple codes for multiple extensions at once.

Thanks for replying. I have a follow-up question, just so I understand clearly.

I don't have multiple copies I am trying to use to extend my membership, only the one. It is a Quicken Premier 2019 someone gave me that they'd gotten from Amazon. He says it is a 14 month subscription.

1) So, are you saying the code in this box is good for 24 months? With it being Quicken Premier 2019, is it still good for the full 14 months?

2) If I enter the Product Activation Code into the Active Quicken screen (shown in thecreator's 08/20 message above), it will extend my current subscription by 14 months; from November 13, 2020 until January 13, 2021?

Thanks!
  • Mark1104Mark1104 Member ✭✭✭✭
    you mean Jan 13, 2022, right?
  • Quicken_TykaQuicken_Tyka Moderator mod
    Hello @the3roots

Thank you for the response, the code should still work to extend the subscription. I would go ahead and attempt to apply the application code.

There is no additional testing that can be done other than attempting to apply the code :)

Applying the code to extend the subscription will add 14 months to the existing subscription.

Please let me know how it goes!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
    @Quicken_Tyka ,

It worked, but I had to get another copy. I tried the Key Code my friend had, but it said it was expired. Does Quicken have a Webpage where I can verify if a Product Key is expired or not or already in-use?
    > @Mark Steinman said:
    > you mean Jan 13, 2022, right?

Yes, that is correct.
  • Hello @the3roots

Thank you for the response and the additional question.

At this time Quicken does not have a web page to test activation codes, to do so, you will need to contact support directly.

https://www.quicken.com/support#contact-support

Quicken Care has the tools to verify an activation code.

I hope this helps!
    -Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
    the3roots said:
    @Quicken_Tyka ,

It worked, but I had to get another copy. I tried the Key Code my friend had, but it said it was expired. Does Quicken have a Webpage where I can verify if a Product Key is expired or not or already in-use?
    Hi @tthe3roots ,

Quicken Activation Codes, can only be used once. Once used, those Activation Codes are worthless.

I would only buy from Quicken approved Vendors. Why? Codes sold by other Vendors may have been made up and you as a Customer have no Money Back Guarantee.

Also, Quicken Activation Codes, expires two Years after being generated, I read from a Quicken Kathryn post.
    thecreator - User of Quicken Subscription R31.20  USA & Quicken 2017 HBRP R20.6 USA

Note: Product What's New in Quicken is grayed out.. Also Year is stuck on 2020 and Copyright Date is stuck 2018 in About Quicken.

View: https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7859218/work-with-copies-of-your-actual-quicken-data-files/p1?new=1

@Quicken_Tyka

I noticed today that my Quicken Account Summary shows "Active Until: Nov. 13, 2021", but it's also saying it "Will Expire Soon". I took a screen capture of the Account Summary on September 8th, just after I extended my subscription, and it all looked fine. But, now this message appeared even though it has the correct expiration date.
    I believe if you go to Edit->Preferences->Quicken Id and do the Log in as different user but use the same Quicken Id, it should refresh everything.

• Hello @the3roots

Thank you for the response, although I apologize that you are experiencing this issue.

May I ask how you ended up extending the membership? Did you end up contacting support?

I ask as I see the same message on my account which was renewed recently and I am trying to determine if the cause the method used to extend the subscription.

Please let me know!

-Quicken Tyka
    ~~~***~~~
    @Quicken_Tyka

I used the method above posted on August 20th by user thecreator; from Quicken menu -> Help -> Enter Activation Code -> then enter the new activation code. Attached is a screen capture of the results I got at that time.

The strange thing is that the message "Will Expire Soon" only recently started showing up. I wonder if it is a bug that Quicken doesn't realize that the Active Until date is over a year out. Could Quicken just be looking at the month and day of the expiration? Just a thought.
    Suggestion for the future, use Windows Snipping Tool (Start->Accessories) to make your screenshots, the image is a lot smaller and easier to view.

BTW, did you try logging in as a different user as I suggested?

@splasher
    Thanks, I used the Windows Snipping tool. I didn't try logging in as another user. It shows the same thing "Will Expire Soon" on Quicken Web too.
    the3roots said:
    @splasher
    Thanks, I used the Windows Snipping tool. I didn't try logging in as another user. It shows the same thing "Will Expire Soon" on Quicken Web too.
    Hmmm, never saw Snipping Tool produce such a large image.
    I'd still try the logging in as a different user.

the3roots said:
    @Quicken_Tyka

I used the method above posted on August 20th by user thecreator; from Quicken menu -> Help -> Enter Activation Code -> then enter the new activation code. Attached is a screen capture of the results I got at that time.

The strange thing is that the message "Will Expire Soon" only recently started showing up. I wonder if it is a bug that Quicken doesn't realize that the Active Until date is over a year out. Could Quicken just be looking at the month and day of the expiration? Just a thought.
    Hi @the3roots ,

Hello Oliver Douglas. :)

After entering your Activation Code and it states it was successful, use your Browser like Google Chrome and go to: https://www.quicken.com/ Move the mouse over SIGN IN and click My Account,

After signing in check the Membership Expiration Date. If correct, close and re-open Quicken. Go to Help, and click Check Membership Status.

Also do that over your other installations of Quicken, you may have on a different
    computer.

If not correct Expiration Date, contact Quicken Support.

@thecreator
    I activated (extended) my subscription on September 8th. At the time, the expiration date was correct and no "Will Expire Soon" message appeared on either the Quicken Web or Quicken Desktop. It was only recently that the message "Will Expire Soon" showed up on both (Quicken Web and Quicken Desktop).

The expiration date hasn't changed, November 13, 2021 is still correctly displayed on both Quicken Web and Quicken Desktop. Which makes me believe that this is just a small bug in the way Quicken displays the message "Will Expire Soon" on both the Quicken Desktop and Quicken Web.
    Hi @the3roots ,

When was the original Expiration Date?

I would call Quicken Premium Support. Phone number is listed in your Quicken Account on the Web on Monday.

See this FAQ: More Details:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7307115/add-your-quicken-information-to-your-posts-plus-how-you-are-connected-to-the-internet

They have the ability to escalate the problem with Quicken Developers.

@thecreator
    Thanks. Before I extended my subscription the expiration date was November 13, 2020. After I added the new Activation Code it changed to November 13, 2021, so the expiration date is fine. The problem is just that the message "Will Expire Soon" is appearing 1 year too soon.

I was hoping Quicken Support would see this and open a ticket for their developers to look at. Especially since it appears on @Quicken_Tyka 's account too (above), which is also 1+ years before it actually expires.

My guess (as a former software developer) is this problem is cosmetic and when November 14, 2020 comes around, the message will disappear. But, mostly, I don't have time to call support and have them try a bunch of things on my Quicken desktop to "fix" this. The last time I called support, I ended up losing a bunch of transactions and duplicating other transactions.
    edited September 2020
    Hi @the3roots ,

How often do you do a Manual Backup of your data file?

I do a Manual Backup after making changing to the data file. I do a Manual Backup to my Mapped Hard Drive.

This way, if I made a mistake, I simply do a Restore of my Manual Backup file, without losing a beat.

The Manual Backup is done before closing Quicken.

This way, if a Update causes problems with the Data File, I simply Restore the Data File.

And the Update runs fine, afterwards. I don't do Mondo Patches.

If a major problem. I simply clean and reinstall:  https://community.quicken.com/discussion/7844658/installing-reinstalling-windows-quicken-subscription-editions

Works fine afterwards.

Have you posted a screenshot showing the message in the Quicken Program?

Both you and Tyka's Account say the same thing. Mine expires December 31, 2021 and it states Will in Yellow.

Include the Time and Date on the Taskbar, as part of the screenshot.

@Quicken_Tyka

I still have the problem with Quicken saying "Will Expire" even though it also says my subscription is "Active Until November 13, 2021".

I know you were having the same problem (re: your Sept. 25 post above), did it get resolved? I contacted Support a couple times and have submitted a ticket. But I haven't heard anything since. Is there anyway for me to find out the status?

I'd rather avoid the inevitable hours spent on the phone with support trying to resolve this if Quicken stops working on November 14th.
    You're saying this message will always be there regardless of the actual expiration date of my subscription if Auto Renew is turned Off?

I have never had "Auto Renew" turned on and this message only showed up within the last couple months. When it did I had over 13 months left in my subscription. It was never there the previous 24 months even with Auto Renew turned Off.

As I mentioned, I extended my subscription on September 8th from November 13, 2020 to November 13, 2021. The message first showed up "Will Expire Soon" in October and it changed to "Will Expire" in November.
    If you read what is printed on your screen shot, it is very factual.  Because auto-renew is turned off, your subscription WILL EXPIRE on the date shown.
    They don't show it, but if you had auto-renew turned on, they could also state that "Doesn't expire because you have turned on auto-renew".
    It may seem odd, but the statement is very true and that is how Q has decided to show it.

Hi @the3roots ,

Mine shows:

This discussion has been closed.