401K account not showing up in my retirement plan?

Like the question says, my 401K account from my relatively new employer is not showing up in my retirement plan. All my other accounts are showing up properly, but not this one.
Apparently I made an error when I set the account up originally, but I'm not finding a place where I can designate that this account should be used in my retirement plan. What am I missing?

Best Answer

Answers

• Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi @""Doug Klanecky"

What type of account is this - i.e. is it a brokerage account, is it with a mutual fund company, is it with an insurance company, is it with a bank? Also, I am assuming that you can see the account in Quicken - in the Accounts bar (which is usually on the left) which "group"is this account in - choices are : Banking, Business, Investing, Property & Debt, or something else?

Get back to me and we'll go from there.

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• It's through PayChex, and it shows up on the Paychex site, as part of my employment records. It shows up in my "Investing" group. I did not set up an automatic download, I manually enter the values every couple of weeks, because my income changes frequently. I've been using Quicken for nearly 30 years, so I am relatively comfortable with the operations, and this version is by far the best in my personal experience.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    Go to Acc details and select Tax deferred.  That gives you the Convert button.  See pic.

- QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Thanks BK,
    I have the radio button set as Tax Deferred, but the button you circle/show "Convert to 401K/IRA/529" is missing from my screen. Everything else looks the same/fine. I've been manually entering transaction info into this account for about 3 years. It does update the prices each update.
  • Frankx
    Frankx SuperUser ✭✭✭✭✭
    Hi again @Doug Klanecky

Okay, I think I have a better view of where the account is - it is in your Investing accounts -  and that is where it should be since Retirement accounts are par of one's overall investments.

BTW, I don't think that you should be concerned by the above "Convert to..." button - because from your post so far that button has absolutely nothing to do with what you want to accomplish.

But my next question is - when you say the account is "not showing up in my retirement plan" exactly what do you mean and where would you like to see this account "show up"?  Can you point me to a screen shot or a report where you would like this account to also appear?

Frankx

Quicken Home, Business & Rental Property - Windows 10-Home Version

- - - - Quicken User since 1984 - - - 
      -  If you find this reply helpful, please click "Helpful" (below), so others will know! Thank you.  -

• Thanks for your time Frankx,

I'm using the Planning tab, and under there the Lifetime Planner function. It already has all of my information loaded in, current earnings, all my other account balances, expected income, expenses, tax rates, etc. and it actually includes all of the other accounts listed in my Investing tab on the left side bar, EXCEPT the current employer's 401K account.

The reason I even noticed this is we visited our financial planner last week, and he was asking when I/we'd planned on retiring, and he showed me I'm really close to being able to do it, BUT Quicken disagrees, and that's what led me to finding the missing 401K funds that are in my investments, but do not show up in the lifetime planner.
  • BK
    BK Member ✭✭✭✭
    edited September 2020
    In the same screenshot above, what is the "show cash in the checking account" set to?  Set that to No, and Tax Deferred to Yes.  Then you should see the Convert button.  I just tested that.  Once you Convert it, then the Account shifts down below to the Retirement sub-section, separated from the Brokerage sub-section.  Hope this helps.
    Edited: Please back up first
    - QWin Deluxe user since 2010, US subscription on Win11
    - I don't use Cloud Sync, Mobile & Web, Bill Pay/Mgr

• Thanks for your time BK, but the account is already set up as a 401K, it just isn't registering in our Lifetime planning report. By the way, the radio button(s) for showing "cash in a checking account" are not on my screen for this particular accounts "Account Details".
This discussion has been closed.